SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
The prices isn't so bad when it's included with something that you already wanted to buy. I got one with an MSR and another with a UM 4-Site (right before they went out of stock).

But yes, it is too expensive by itself. The $40 doesn't include the AC power supply.
The biggest drawbacks are the lack of charge info & the lack of support for modern 5c-charge cells.The mAh required to recharge is the most important piece of info there is. Over-discharge is the #1 cause of early LiPo failure. They are not supposed to be discharged beyond the 80% point - as determined by the battery's capacity and the mAh required to recharge.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:38 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I thought that CP setup guides typically show a few degrees of negative pitch at low throttle in normal mode. A bit of negative pitch is often needed to compensate for abrupt increases in translational lift when flying in turbulent conditions. It's also handy for planting the heli on the ground during spooldown when it's breezy. If one only flies indoors, I suppose it wouldn't matter one way or the other.

Joel
Just check to see what I have; it is 30 / 40 / 50....

I'd spend the money on a better charger that can do more then 1s batteries.
I've had 2 of these chargers for about 2 years now and can charge any of my batteries and they work very well. I do not use anything that comes in the kits anymore. I have had to buy some new battery leads at times, but I think I have anything covered they can throw at me now.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

I bought the power supplies off ebay, but looks like they do not sell it anymore:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Looks like this would work;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Supply.html

Of course you would need some leads to charge the batteries;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._6_plugs_.html

If you have a 120sr or anything with a JST connector you can get these 2 items; You could charge 36 batteries at one time. (You would need 6 of the second item)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._parallel.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
elgecko is offline Find More Posts by elgecko
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,041 Posts
OK ... I gave in at the LHS today and joined the ranks of Nano owners

I set it up on my Futaba 9C with a Spektrum module using the DX8 settings in the manual. I must say this little heli flies great! So far I've flown four batteries, nothing but hovering, forward flight an pirouettes ... taking it easy to see if that helps "break in the motor" as mentioned in previous posts. Toned it down a bit by switching on the D/R and no worries controlling it indoors.

I think I need to find a new home for my mCX, mSR, and CX ... don't think they are going to get much flying time now that the Nano is here I will still keep the mCPx though.

Winter is no longer looking too bad

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
I do the same thing Jim. Makes for nice one foot autos. Flew today and it was very windy...Santa Ana conditions. Did the same Friday with S.A.winds. Had some funny things happen to the tail in the cross winds when I reduced collective. Kind of twitchy but was fun. Any flight is better than no flight. Have 178 flights on mine and flying real sweet. Not flying my Nanos as I have two boards wired with the esc's and waiting for Dylan to post the motors on his site either today or tomorrow. Going for one Low speed BL and one high speed BL. Also waiting for Lynx to come out with their metal swash which should be soon. I have broken three of the plastic ones.

Bob
It's only light winds here in the SF Bay Area today. I flew my 130X and 450X. I crashed both of them. The 130X went right back in the air but, the 450X went to the hanger. I was so pissed I discharged the batteries for storage and put everything back in the box until I feel like dealing with the repairs. It could be awhile. The problem is these 66 year old eyes and reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Jim
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
It's only light winds here in the SF Bay Area today. I flew my 130X and 450X. I crashed both of them. The 130X went right back in the air but, the 450X went to the hanger. I was so pissed I discharged the batteries for storage and put everything back in the box until I feel like dealing with the repairs. It could be awhile. The problem is these 66 year old eyes and reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Jim
I crashed mine three times today and kept on flying. My buddy has a T-Rex 500 and he let me fly it. Was real nice and very easy to fly. DId forward and backward flips and side flips. Handles like a dream. He wants me to buy a T Rex 450 DFC. I started a slush fund for it and I hope that I don't regret buying it. I have so many spare parts for my 130X I think I will build another one if I can find a good used main board. I will keep that one stock as I have modified my present one a lot and it flies so goooood. Sorry to hear about your 450X and I do know about the aging eyes. I have lost my birds three times to them. I could not find when they went down them but my wife did find them all three times. lol Saved me quite a bit of money.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Last edited by Willyboy; Oct 29, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
36 flight and a dead motor......
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
What's your over/under for calling HH?
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,276 Posts
Just ran two batteries and managed to do two ceiling landings! Awesome, I love my nano! Really looking forward to the Brushless kits.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
I crashed mine three times today and kept on flying. My buddy has a T-Rex 500 and he let me fly it. Was real nice and very easy to fly. DId forward and backward flips and side flips. Handles like a dream. He wants me to buy a T Rex 450 DSC. I started a slush fund for it and I hope that I don't regret buying it. I have so many spare parts for my 130X I think I will build another one if I can find a good used main board. I will keep that one stock as I have modified my present one a lot and it flies so goooood. Sorry to hear about your 450X and I do know about the aging eyes. I have lost my birds three times to them. I could not find when they went down them but my wife did find them all three times. lol Saved me quite a bit of money.

Bob

You are a more advanced flyer than I. I can do scale flying and nothing else. Being retired I fly many many packs per day on different heli's but, can't seem to progress beyond scale flight. When I do, I crash so that makes me hesitant to try any kind of sport flying on my larger birds.

Jim
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
So I've been banging my Nano around the garage. It seems a very tough little bird. For now, my flights end when I crash. What should I be checking for damage or alignment or whatever after all this abuse to my poor Nano? I don't know enough about it yet to know what to look for.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
So I've been banging my Nano around the garage. It seems a very tough little bird. For now, my flights end when I crash. What should I be checking for damage or alignment or whatever after all this abuse to my poor Nano? I don't know enough about it yet to know what to look for.
Beyond the obvious broken parts, the main indication of a problem are vibrations or shaking.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Check the tail boom for splintering. Just broke mine and ordered parts. I did wrap the fractured part with quilters thread and a drop of CA. It will hold till the new parts come in. It broke right next to the frame. made sure the CA did not get in the joint. Not sure if I can get all the splinters out of the frame so I ordered one also. Has anyone tried to replace the boom with a solid CF rod?
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Maybe Micro Heli will make a CNC frame for this heli. They do have a placeholder on thier page for the Nano.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,975 Posts
Quote:
Maybe Micro Heli will make a CNC frame for this heli. They do have a placeholder on thier page for the Nano.
well, I hope so, as one of the most annoying things about the nano (and even more so the mCPX) is how easy the canopy pins break ( its one of the reasons my nano is down ... I am not going to buy a new frame every daing few crashes ... ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
Yes, many people have. 2mm, I just finished mine off tonight in a crash, so I had some 1.8mm CF rod already. fit good shaving it down and squeezing the wires in tail boom (so I wouldn't have to re-solder them), but a little loose in frame. May have to use tape or dental floss to tighten the fit at the frame. Used liquid rubber cement as adhesive so it can be removed. It dries similarly to the black stuff HH uses to lock main gear and spindle nut.

Even guy at Hobby town said to go with 2mm solid rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Check the tail boom for splintering. Just broke mine and ordered parts. I did wrap the fractured part with quilters thread and a drop of CA. It will hold till the new parts come in. It broke right next to the frame. made sure the CA did not get in the joint. Not sure if I can get all the splinters out of the frame so I ordered one also. Has anyone tried to replace the boom with a solid CF rod?
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard