Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
I think they were called fast flight blades and I'm really not sure why. If anything, I would think it would slow down the cyclic and make it more stable. Maybe more stability in fast forward flight?
MrRcAddict is offline Find More Posts by MrRcAddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
939 Posts
Iím sure this has been covered before. I would just rather read about helicopters than charging batteries. I am looking for a better option to charging the 1S batteries. My current charger will only charge 2-6 cells at a time. What hardware do I need to parallel charge the Nano batteries. Any recommendations?
Petrie is online now Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
To get into the habit of using throttle hold I even land my heli's using throttle hold. I bring them to a hover about a foot off the ground and hit TH.
I do the same thing Jim. Makes for nice one foot autos. Flew today and it was very windy...Santa Ana conditions. Did the same Friday with S.A.winds. Had some funny things happen to the tail in the cross winds when I reduced collective. Kind of twitchy but was fun. Any flight is better than no flight. Have 178 flights on mine and flying real sweet. Not flying my Nanos as I have two boards wired with the esc's and waiting for Dylan to post the motors on his site either today or tomorrow. Going for one Low speed BL and one high speed BL. Also waiting for Lynx to come out with their metal swash which should be soon. I have broken three of the plastic ones.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Iím sure this has been covered before. I would just rather read about helicopters than charging batteries. I am looking for a better option to charging the 1S batteries. My current charger will only charge 2-6 cells at a time. What hardware do I need to parallel charge the Nano batteries. Any recommendations?
Most people use one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charging-Cab...item20cb7b26e5

However, since your charger doesnt do a single cell, you would probably need something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-nano-c...item2a24cffc2d

Are you certain you cant charge only a single cell??
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:26 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos View Post
Not talking about getting bad habits only, Even using TH in normal mode can save you some repairs because you still have negative pitch when you lower your throttle stick which means you basically increase the descent speed.
In normal mode flying, set your pitch curve to L-30%, 1-40%. That way you will have very little negative pitch, if you are not using the TH all the time yet.
elgecko is offline Find More Posts by elgecko
Last edited by elgecko; Oct 28, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: updated
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Wondering what the difference in the blades are. My 130X came with the weighted blades installed and if I remember correctly the standard blades are called "speed blades". However, My Nano comes with standard blades installed and the weighted blades in the box. I have not tried the weighted blades on the Nano because the last thing I want is to speed up this little Humming bird.
The weighted/Fast Flight blades will make it more stable, especially for sport flying, and they will also slow down the flip and roll rates. If you find the heli a bit to quick, the weighted blades would be my recommendation for ya It can still easily 3D with them, but it is noticeable that the cyclic rates are slower.
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeppley View Post
Most people use one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charging-Cab...item20cb7b26e5

However, since your charger doesnt do a single cell, you would probably need something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-nano-c...item2a24cffc2d

Are you certain you cant charge only a single cell??
I have a Chargery 0410B charger. It is 2 to 4 Lipo and must have a blance port plugged in to operate. Your second option sounds like it would work but they are not giving much discription. I assume they are linking the 3 batteries together to look link a 3 cell battery. Is that correct? If that is the case the batteries will not have to be at the same discharge to start with.

Is there a better cheep charger I should look at? I don't think I need a $100+ charger to charge my $3.00 batteries.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:14 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
E-Flite makes a 4 port charger, 4 one cell batteries at once, it's about $40 I think. It runs off of batteries itself,lol. Unless you also have or buy an ac adapter.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Li-Po-Charger
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
In normal mode flying, set your pitch curve to 50% at L, 1. That way you will not have any negative pitch, just neutral if you are not using the TH all the time yet.
I thought that CP setup guides typically show a few degrees of negative pitch at low throttle in normal mode. A bit of negative pitch is often needed to compensate for abrupt increases in translational lift when flying in turbulent conditions. It's also handy for planting the heli on the ground during spooldown when it's breezy. If one only flies indoors, I suppose it wouldn't matter one way or the other.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
I want the top half of both the throttle and pitch curves to match between normal and UI mode (only two modes on my 6i). Then there is no change flipping the switch once I'm off the ground (or even before).

I run 30-40-50-75-100 pitch and 0-50-100-100-100 throttle in normal mode.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
E-Flite makes a 4 port charger, 4 one cell batteries at once, it's about $40 I think. It runs off of batteries itself,lol. Unless you also have or buy an ac adapter.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Li-Po-Charger
There are far better chargers available in that price-range that handle 1-6 cells & display critical battery info. If you're serious about this hobby, an adjustable, multi-chemistry charger that displays charge data is pretty much a requirement. The most important piece of information is the mAh required to recharge after a flight. Unloaded (resting) voltage is a very poor indicator of discharge-depth, so the mAh required to recharge is used for determining the 80% discharge point. You then set your flight-timer so that you land before the 80% discharge point. Never rely on LVC, as flying to LVC with any of the HH UM aircraft will damage the battery if done more than once or twice.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
The prices isn't so bad when it's included with something that you already wanted to buy. I got one with an MSR and another with a UM 4-Site (right before they went out of stock).

But yes, it is too expensive by itself. The $40 doesn't include the AC power supply.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
939 Posts
Weighted Blades

Just tried the weighted blades and made it much more managable in the living room. I would recommend them for anyone starting out that want to slow the controls down a little.

Also, what are the two hex shaped parts (about 1.25 in long) in the parts bag that comes with the Nano.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Mar 2007
48 Posts
Quote:
Just tried the weighted blades and made it much more managable in the living room. I would recommend them for anyone starting out that want to slow the controls down a little.

Also, what are the two hex shaped parts (about 1.25 in long) in the parts bag that comes with the Nano.
The black things are for tightening the feathering shaft.
dway is offline Find More Posts by dway
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
I have a Chargery 0410B charger. It is 2 to 4 Lipo and must have a blance port plugged in to operate. Your second option sounds like it would work but they are not giving much discription. I assume they are linking the 3 batteries together to look link a 3 cell battery. Is that correct? If that is the case the batteries will not have to be at the same discharge to start with.

Is there a better cheep charger I should look at? I don't think I need a $100+ charger to charge my $3.00 batteries.
There are a lot of chargers out there for $50 or less that would be better choices. Many of us use a regular aircraft-type charger that can charge 1-6 cells and then use a harness to charge our single cells in parallel. Parallel charging of these UM cells has been proven to be safe, provided that one uses a bit of common-sense: Don't mix nearly-charged cells with nearly-charged cells. (But they don't have to be close to the same state-of-charge.) Don't mix weak or damaged cells with good cells. Be sure to set the capacity & charge current correctly. With parallel charging, you can charge from one cell up to the maximum number that the harness supports.

Aside from the inability to charge a single cell, the other drawback to your charger is the 0.5A minimum charge current. That's a 3.3c charge on a 150 mAh cell, and the factory battery is only rated for 3c charging. If you're using Hyperion or TP 160s it's not an issue, as they're designed for 5c charging. So are the Nanos, I think. Charging LiPos at higher than recommended charge rates can be very dangerous - depending upon how conservative the manufacturer's charge rating is. You could use a series harness with your charger & charge 4 cells as a 4s pack - but with series charging, you have to always fill the harness.

Joel
RCG Plus Member