HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Feb 2007
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
Anyone know of a way to hold the main gear on after a main shaft change without the use of glue?
Mine was slipping down a little easy so I put a small dab of liquid electrical tape on and let it dry overnight. It is black stuff that looks similar to what was on originally and is at Walmart. One jar lasts a long time for most typical uses. Can be used to insulate wires of course.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Hi Jim,

Are you still on the same tail motors? It seems that my main motors are getting on the weak side as I have already replace one of them. My tail motors still running strong. God, I can't wait for Dylan to received his shipment of BL motors.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Yes! Both my nano's still have the original tail motors. I don't understand why the main motors flame out so soon and the tail motors keep going. I assume they are similarly constructed internally plus, I believe the tail motor spins faster than the main. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Hi Bob,

Yes! Both my nano's still have the original tail motors. I don't understand why the main motors flame out so soon and the tail motors keep going. I assume they are similarly constructed internally plus, I believe the tail motor spins faster than the main. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim
Just back back from the field flying and had another motor loose most of it's power. Not buying anymore brushed motors. Just going to wait for Dylan to get notification of shipment from China on the BL motors. Will just keep flying my 130 which is a great heli.

Bpb
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
337 Posts
People looking for additional batteries might try these:

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...placement.html

I have 8 of their earlier batteries marked 15C, and they transformed my micro Sukhoi. They even work remarkably well in my nCPX, despite being two years old now. At $1.69 and shipped from the US, 4 batteries is at most a $10 mistake.

Bill
CatBird is offline Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,458 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand why the main motors flame out so soon and the tail motors keep going. I assume they are similarly constructed internally plus, I believe the tail motor spins faster than the main.
I believe it's basically because the tail motors are under little or no load. They're simply free wheeling on a very small prop and small as the brushes are, there's not much current flowing through them.

The main motor has to work so much harder to power the main blades that it just burns itself out under the stain. The candle burning twice as bright as they say.

I do wonder if capacitors might help. The mcpx motor has capacitors soldered to the can. It reduces arcing on the brushes, which in turn reduces radio interference (the primary reason for using capacitors). But anything that reduces arcing on the brushes has also got to be better for motor life too I would think.

I wonder what the slot car guys have to say about small can motors. They've been running those motors to death for decades now. There's probably not much they haven't found or tried by now.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
People looking for additional batteries might try these:

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...placement.html

I have 8 of their earlier batteries marked 15C, and they transformed my micro Sukhoi. They even work remarkably well in my nCPX, despite being two years old now. At $1.69 and shipped from the US, 4 batteries is at most a $10 mistake.

Bill
What kind of flying do you do as 15c seems really low. I bought a mad dog 25c that was really a 15c or so and it was horrible for mellow flipping and such. If the other is true 30c it might be a good battery.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
What kind of flying do you do as 15c seems really low. I bought a mad dog 25c that was really a 15c or so and it was horrible for mellow flipping and such. If the other is true 30c it might be a good battery.

But these are 30C's.

Just ordered the Pico (X6) Parallel Charging Harness for my iCharger from ProgressiveRC, since EP Buddy is sold out of them.

Getting closer to ordering the Nano, probably on Tuesday. Current Nano pilots, please post more vids until then.....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
As motor ages are you guys finding shorter flight times?

Also

My brand new TP 160's seem weaker than stock lipo

I'm disappointed

Maybe hyperions are in order
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:55 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
But these are 30C's.

Just ordered the Pico (X6) Parallel Charging Harness for my iCharger from ProgressiveRC, since EP Buddy is sold out of them.

Getting closer to ordering the Nano, probably on Tuesday. Current Nano pilots, please post more vids until then.....
Oh I realize it is a 30c and is why I asked how he was flying with the 15c batteries.

More often than not batteries are marked at a higher c rating than they can give. But if he is able to flip decently on the 15c for more than a minute then most likely the 15c are really near 20c or more and would give greater promise for a true 30c or higher battery
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Just back back from the field flying and had another motor loose most of it's power. Not buying anymore brushed motors. Just going to wait for Dylan to get notification of shipment from China on the BL motors. Will just keep flying my 130 which is a great heli.

Bpb
I just got back from flying my 130x also. Of my five Blade heli's the 130X is definitely my favorite too. It is windy today and the 130X nearly has the authority of the 450X. I will keep flying and buying motors for the nano. It isn't that costly to do so as I rarely break parts unlike my mCPX which has cost me hundreds of $ in parts.

Jim
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
As motor ages are you guys finding shorter flight times?
I haven't had reduced flight times. The motor just looses power. Sometimes there is a hesitation before it starts to spin. I had one just die in flight and the nano dropped to the ground.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:27 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
I just got back from flying my 130x also. Of my five Blade heli's the 130X is definitely my favorite too. It is windy today and the 130X nearly has the authority of the 450X. I will keep flying and buying motors for the nano. It isn't that costly to do so as I rarely break parts unlike my mCPX which has cost me hundreds of $ in parts.

Jim
I wanted to go fly my 130 today but havent had a chance yet. I converted one of mine with the hp08s and it really woke it up. I also just found the velcro HH uses for their micro line over at Home depot. Got two packages for 6 bucks for 4 strips per pack. Each strip is equal to 4 pieces of the way HH cuts it up. So now i can reduce weight by changing out my velcro
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Quote:

Jim
Lucky you! I don't break much either but motor plus shipping here costs about 20$ (no lhs close enough)... A bit pricey for merely 40 flights Ill wait for Dywald too once this motor dies.
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos View Post
Lucky you! I don't break much either but motor plus shipping here costs about 20$ (no lhs close enough)... A bit pricey for merely 40 flights Ill wait for Dywald too once this motor dies.
Well, $20 for a motor sucks and I would probably baulked at that. Fortunately, my LHS is 3 miles away and has a good supply of all Blade heli parts so, it costs me about $13 for the motor.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I wanted to go fly my 130 today but havent had a chance yet. I converted one of mine with the hp08s and it really woke it up. I also just found the velcro HH uses for their micro line over at Home depot. Got two packages for 6 bucks for 4 strips per pack. Each strip is equal to 4 pieces of the way HH cuts it up. So now i can reduce weight by changing out my velcro
For my type of scale flying the stock 130X suits me fine. I think my 130X is fast in stock dress. Yours must be a blur in the sky. I also found the Velcro at Home Depot a while back.