SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:18 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
I finally got my new main motor, I was hoping to make a video on how to do a proper break in of a brushed motor. But I have had to spend the day packing for my trip to Singapore tomorrow. Going to be out to sea until middle of Jan. Glad I will be bringing my Nano, mSRX, and 130x to keep me busy.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Last edited by seahawk1984; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlyman5000 View Post
Sorry to bring up the OT flying with battery thing again, but I wanted to post the actual rules for the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/..._batteries.pdf

Summary: Spare Lipo's in carry on only, and in protective enclosure. You can only check Lipo's if they are installed in something. Larger lipos are limited to 2 spares.

Back on topic...I am sold...I will be picking up a nano once back in the U.S. in a few weeks. I ignored all the people stating the mcpX is too much for indoors, but they were correct for my situation. Other than hovering and slow circuits, It is no good for my indoor space at my skill level. I feel too much potential damage to the room coming from the mcpX, so I do not find it enjoyable to fly indoors. I am hoping the nano will take place of my msrX for indoor flight as I am not a huge fan of the msrX's funky movements when using rudder at slow speeds.
I'm primarily a fixed wing guy,,, but occasionally I like the diversion of Helis ,, started with an MSx coax, then single rotor MSR , then MCPX , then MSRX , and now the nano cp ,, after I got bored with MSR was hoping to get a collective pitch heli I could fly indoors , MCPX was NOT it for me, and outdoors I could fly it fine but always had trouble with tail blowing out when trying to do flips and rolls,, and MSRX showed me how well concept of ASX worked,, but still longed for performance of a collective pitch. So then I see this nano ,, looks like it might have ability to be as durable as MSR ( I hate spending time fixing these things) but with capability of a collective pitch without tail blow out AND ability to fly indoors,,,,, well for me at least it seems as though all of those qualities have been realized in this little guy!!!! I'm not a very experienced heli guy,, but I can fly him no problem , very stable but quick!!! I've now learned to do my first fowArd and backward flips as well as rolls,, flown him indoors as well,,, crashed hard many many times no damage except conopy is really taking a beating,,, and on low rates can cruise him around very scale like,,, for me at least for $150 its the PERFECT heli,,, maybe someday ill get confidence to buy a larger 450 bird , but for now this one fits the bill perfect!!!
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:05 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Anyone know of a way to hold the main gear on after a main shaft change without the use of glue?
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,900 Posts
Any good deals out there online for new Nano's, discounted and In Stock?
I'm ready to get one!

All the usual places I go are out of stock. Somebody posted awhile back of a place I never heard of before, was like $139. Looks like my LHS 45 miles away is not carrying them yet. Small shop.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I finally got my new main motor, I was hoping to make a video on how to do a proper break in of a brushed motor. But I have had to spend the day packing for my trip to Singapore tomorrow. Going to be out to sea until middle of Jan. Glad I will be bringing my Nano, mSRX, and 130x to keep me busy.
Sounds like you'll have a great time! I love these little cp's, take them everywhere. I think my mcpx needs a new main motor, starting to feel sluggish. Maybe I'm getting too used to the nano, my mcpx just doesn't seem to have the punch it used to, I have fresh hyperions for the mcpx but they don't seem to last long for flight time. I usually run my brushed motors fully submerged in deionized or distilled water for 10 minutes or so to break them in.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:08 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,900 Posts
Anyone buy and try any of the new Turnigy's 160's for the Nano?
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
For those who have main motors fail, did they go out suddenly or intermittent issues? I seem to be starting to see an issue of the main motor not starting but tail motor does. Nothing appears to be binding up. Then other times it starts fine.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
580 Posts
That is the way my first two failed. I started seeing less and less power, and then they won't always start.....
rcflyair is online now Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
Anyone know of a way to hold the main gear on after a main shaft change without the use of glue?
I ran a strand of dental floss through the hole and pushed the gear back on. Then, I cut the floss as close to the gear as possible. It has held the gear on through 43 flights and many crashes without slipping down and the gear comes off easy when you want it to.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:25 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
For those who have main motors fail, did they go out suddenly or intermittent issues? I seem to be starting to see an issue of the main motor not starting but tail motor does. Nothing appears to be binding up. Then other times it starts fine.
First one failed suddenly. The second one slowly lost power and sometimes would hesitate and then start. On my third motor with 43 flights so far so good.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:46 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Anyone buy and try any of the new Turnigy's 160's for the Nano?
Which new Turnigy 160? Link please.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:48 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,384 Posts
I see no need in breaking in this small motors. Won't make much difference anyway. I have flown my 2 over 50 flights no power loss yet.

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:20 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
First one failed suddenly. The second one slowly lost power and sometimes would hesitate and then start. On my third motor with 43 flights so far so good.
Hi Jim,

Are you still on the same tail motors? It seems that my main motors are getting on the weak side as I have already replace one of them. My tail motors still running strong. God, I can't wait for Dylan to received his shipment of BL motors.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos View Post
Some poeple in this thread managed to straighten it up so you might as well try it if you can't get your replacement soon.
I straightened it out has almost sorted the problem
(If think it is still a bit bent though so i might still get one)
Deltaalphalima1 is offline Find More Posts by Deltaalphalima1
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I ran a strand of dental floss through the hole and pushed the gear back on. Then, I cut the floss as close to the gear as possible. It has held the gear on through 43 flights and many crashes without slipping down and the gear comes off easy when you want it to.
Cool, I'll give that a shot
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981