HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
OK, I'll give it a read through and pull one out of the box to have a look. It just so happens I work at my LHS, maybe I can ask if we can set one aside as a store demo haha

Now that winter's coming up, I'm going to need to get some indoor-capable stuff ready again.

Ouch, that crash hurt. I guess another case of down is up and up is expensive?
Yep, up is expensive. LOL, I'll have to remember that one.

Our LHS has a Nano out as a demo, and that's a great idea. It really helps to sell them when customers see one buzzing around the store.

Not that I would know anything about that.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:15 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,377 Posts
More indoor action :)

Bland nano (1 min 51 sec)

Just messing around. This thing is so much fun inside. Can't get enough!

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:38 AM
United States, IA, Solon
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Thanks everyone for the carbon fiber how-to's and tips.

What a great community-the members here share information and ideas so freely. It helps take away some of the frustrations that can manifest in this hobby.
MtnBeeler is offline Find More Posts by MtnBeeler
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:11 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I was lucky enough to get one of my 450 crashes on video!
I don't think 'lucky' means what you think it does!
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:20 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,922 Posts
On tail booms, I've been holding off on a solid boom until my last one breaks.
So I coated this one in thin CA and it seems to be helping. So far no boom splits.
Also you can beef up the strength of your canopy mounts with epoxy to prolong a frame replacement. I use the steel epoxy and it works good.
I only slam into walls I guess because I have yet to break the skids.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:33 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
I don't think 'lucky' means what you think it does!
Haha. Yeah. He probably crashed BECAUSE he was videoing.
I suck when I know I'm recording.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,276 Posts
I split my boom last night attempting tic-tocs over my driveway...oops, I used thin CA and a little carbon tow twisted around the boom, it's really light and stronger then stock, I still have a spare boom so going to a solid rod isn't really needed at this point.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
MCX2..120SR..NCPX..MQX..D X7s
United States, OR, Salem
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Starboard Servo DOA

Just picked up a Nano BNF on Monday. Programmed my DX6i and it binded (bound) up right away. Performed my pre-flight surface control check...dead starboard servo, and I mean dead.
Connection check, no joy On a positive note, she powered up fine and was impressed how smooth and quiet she is, but the the servo failure makes it a no-go
Hopefully HH will ship me a new rig as this one never achieved lift-off...
NOTE TO SELF: NEVER buy from an LHS that does not swap out for a valid reason...should have made the 40 mi. roundtrip to one that does and has a dozen BNF's on the shelf.
23DM is offline Find More Posts by 23DM
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyair View Post
Has anyone got near 100 flights on the stock brushed motor?

The reason I ask..... I'm now on my third motor. I got about 60 flights on the first that came with the heli, then only about 50 on the second one. Performance was great while they lasted, but I'm not going to be buying too many more at $12 each - no matter how great the heli is.

I'm not anxious to go brushless...........
Mine died before 40 flights (and i did wait a couple of minutes between each batteries). Just received my new motor, flew two batteries and noticed it doesn't have any punch at all. Just like when I first got my nano.
Did your two replacement motors did the same?
Does a brushed motor actually need some time before it runs fully?

Can't wait for the BL solution to be released either.
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
577 Posts
Quote:
Both of mine did. Somewhere around 5 or 10 flights the power picks up, and a few more flights and it gets really good...

I put my third motor in late last night and on this one I'll run the motor at quarter or half throttle for a few batteries to see if I get any more life out of it, and based on the longevity of the first two motors it won't take long to find out

I'm not anxious to go brushless (although its a very cool project). I'd rather find a souce for a $6 replacement coreless brushed motor that'll last over 200 flights with as good or better power than stock - I'm looking......
rcflyair is online now Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyair View Post
Both of mine did. Somewhere around 5 or 10 flights the power picks up, and a few more flights and it gets really good...

I put my third motor in late last night and on this one I'll run the motor at quarter or half throttle for a few batteries to see if I get any more life out of it, and based on the longevity of the first two motors it won't take long to find out

I'm not anxious to go brushless (although its a very cool project). I'd rather find a souce for a $6 replacement coreless brushed motor that'll last over 200 flights with as good or better power than stock - I'm looking......
Good to know. Thanks. Let us know if you did such a motor! Considering mine lasted just one week, either BL or cheap coreless solution suits me
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckos View Post
Mine died before 40 flights (and i did wait a couple of minutes between each batteries). Just received my new motor, flew two batteries and noticed it doesn't have any punch at all. Just like when I first got my nano.
Did your two replacement motors did the same?

Can't wait for the BL solution to be released either.
I have a spare motor on order at the LHS, just to have as a backup. My buddy there told me that I should 'Properly' break it in. He explained to me that the brushes in the motor are not properly set to the curved commutator. And there can be a thin film of oil between the brushes and the commutator. What he suggested that I do, is connect the motor to the main board (but don't physically install it into the frame), and then place the motor in a glass of distilled water (very important to use distilled water), and run it for the length of a full battery. I thought he was crazy! I've heard of people doing this, but being an electrician for most of my life, I know that electric motors and water DO NOT MIX! But he reassured me that it was perfectly safe, just don't dump your whole helicopter in the water of course. He said what this does is that it will remove the thin film of oil between the brushes and the commutator, and allow the brushes to form around the round commutator creating a much better seating connection. And I know that's true, we did the same thing with larger motors as an electrician, we just didn't use water, we were able to get into the brushes and use sandpaper to achieve the same desired effect.

He also said that by placing the motor in distilled water it gives the motor a load, and helps keep it cool. I should also mention to run the motor at full speed for a full battery.

Again, this should remove that film of oil on the brushes, and with the brushes now fitting better to the commutator it will have a much better connection, and power output should be better as well.

When we get new motors, and you notice that it takes a few flights for it start to perform well, it's because the brushes are wearing in and starting to form around the commutator creating a better connection.

I've never done this, again, as far as I know electricity and water do not mix! But I will be trying this with my new motor tonight. I'm not going to install the motor yet though, I'm going to use stock motor until it goes dead, then I'll install the new motor. I'm just stocking up on parts to take with me out to sea.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I've never done this, again, as far as I know electricity and water do not mix!
Electricity and pure water mix just fine - water is an insulator actually. Where it becomes a problem is when your water contains ions - then it can be a conductor. It can also do physical damage to components because it is an insulator/resistor, it can cause a local current spike, melting components.

That is why you use distilled water for breaking in motors! "De-ionized" water is fine too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propert...l_conductivity
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:29 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,895 Posts
Sold my mCPX, want this Lil guy next!

Will also want a solid CF boom and do a BL Conversion when they are available Plug N Play, based on the early demo vids I have seen in this thread already. Sounds like Dylan is on it....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23DM View Post
Just picked up a Nano BNF on Monday. Programmed my DX6i and it binded (bound) up right away. Performed my pre-flight surface control check...dead starboard servo, and I mean dead.
Connection check, no joy On a positive note, she powered up fine and was impressed how smooth and quiet she is, but the the servo failure makes it a no-go
Hopefully HH will ship me a new rig as this one never achieved lift-off...
NOTE TO SELF: NEVER buy from an LHS that does not swap out for a valid reason...should have made the 40 mi. roundtrip to one that does and has a dozen BNF's on the shelf.
Bumber! HH should send you a replacement, they are usually pretty good with customer support.

As for the LHS that you bought it from, I don't think I would ever shop there again. I'm a stickler when it comes to customer support, and if I don't like the support I get at the closer LHS, I have no problem driving the extra miles to another spot.

I'm a firm believer in supporting the LHS, I figure that we are pretty much forced to buy everything that we use in our hobby from China in one way or another, so I do what I can to make sure that someone locally gets my money too.

If I have to order something from HH (because LHS doesn't have it in stock), I call my LHS and have them order it for me, that way when I pay for it, they make the profit, not HH.

But if I buy something from them, get it home, it don't fly, they don't replace it. SCREW THEM! They can go out of business for all I care.