Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Like Earl said, before I moved here to the dry desert of Vegas I lived in the mountains of Yosemite and worked in a small engine repair shop. We had seasons and had to mow our fire breaks with riding lawn mowers and brush cutters, also had a wood cutting season so we had our chain saws going too. They got put away with gas tanks full but they were also stored in a power tool shed so it mattered little if they stunk or not. As soon as the season was over we would warm up our tools, dump the gas from the tanks then run them dry and put them away until the next season. In the small engine repair shop I worked in we had no end of gas powered tools coming in with the statement, it worked fine when I put it away. We always asked if they drained the gas tank before storage. Sure did is always the answer. When we drained them we knew better, the gas was often 50% water. The alcohol in the gas was also playing games with all the rubber parts in the carb. I still have my alcohol tester but no longer use it, all but one station here in the Vegas area has alcohol in it. Rebel Regular Gas is alcohol free, they also call it racing fuel at some stations?
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raron455 View Post
THANKS for all the info fellas,, I have heard loud and clear,, Pump the glo fuel out of the tank and run the engine dry,,,, then put the plane up

As for the Gas, leave it in there,Just make sure it is not an absolute full tank, If its been in there a little while I will pump it out before flight and put fresh gas...
You got it raron455.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:40 PM
Keller, TX
Joined Aug 2005
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkupinski View Post
To some extent, the area where you live will govern what you do over a given period of time for each type of fuel.

Methanol is hydroscopic and will draw atmospheric water into it. So it is best to drain and tightly cap your supply at the end of a flying day no matter where you are. Some people say it is ok to leave your fuel in the tank overnight or a few days. But I advise against it. One of the products of combustion is water. And your pumping exhaust into your tank to pressurize the system.

Gasoline does age, go "sour", and gel over a period of time, so leaving it the tank for a day on two or a week or two should not be a problem. But if your live in the North and only fly 7-8 months a year, drain and dump your fuel supply and buy fresh in the spring.

Alcohol can affect the diaphrams in gas carbs. And automotive "gasoline" now contains up 15% ethanol. If your gas supply is such, drain the tank daily and run dry the engine. In our area. I know of at least one competitve IMAC flyer that will only use aviation gasoline in his engines.
It's "hygroscopic".
RCFVR is offline Find More Posts by RCFVR
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:08 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,087 Posts
Just a quick one...the StarTron stuff DOES help with ethanol in the fuel!

Dear Fellow RC-Groupers:

The PIPE Here again with a quick one...

...if you get a look on a post of mine that handles the "ethanol in gasoline" issue, like this one from earlier this summer, that StarTron gasoline additive has been helping my family's lawn mower run better than ever all season. When I'm back at work again, with at least one Saito four-stroke gasser mill or two acquired in time, I'll be using it in their gas to be sure they run their best.

Hope this tip helps...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE