HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Aug 2005
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
v1 board with 3 wire mod, using 1.3ghz 200mw for video, osd was still fine at 5km mark i flipped rth switch and let the osd fly the plane few min later noticed my distance from home frezeed at 4.1km, heading all locked home arrow pointed straight and i'm flying ovet some thick forest that i never seen before,

I still have control of the plane punched my throttle to gain some altitude but i can only wide area of green forest which the plane have drift very far from it original course, i circle around for almost 20m until i depleted ny 4200mAh battery, last visual i saw is the plane spiraling into the forest until complete lost video

few days ago i did tested the osd on bench for almost 12hours without locking up i guess today luck is not my side
do you have any control on ELE and AIL when freezing?
do you record some video?
extraline is online now Find More Posts by extraline
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:40 PM
Expert Crasher
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
do you have any control on ELE and AIL when freezing?
do you record some video?
yes i have full control but it already too late by the time i realized the OSD freeze i'm out to unknown location, video is rendering will upload as soon as it finish rendering

Video, still uploading should be finish in a few min or so

SkySurfer Final Flight: Storm OSD failure (0 min 0 sec)
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by skellator; Feb 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: adding youtube link
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:57 AM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
yes i have full control but it already too late by the time i realized the OSD freeze i'm out to unknown location, video is rendering will upload as soon as it finish rendering

Video, still uploading should be finish in a few min or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_XGq...ature=youtu.be
Awww, i just woke up to read this

Sorry about your loss, you were running 1.03 beta right?

I would of planted it towards the outskirts of the forest, i knew its easier said than done now! I just don't get this OSD....

Its perfect in every otherway, untill it stops working miles away from home!
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:21 AM
Expert Crasher
Joined Nov 2011
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLimeClouds View Post
Awww, i just woke up to read this

Sorry about your loss, you were running 1.03 beta right?

I would of planted it towards the outskirts of the forest, i knew its easier said than done now! I just don't get this OSD....

Its perfect in every otherway, untill it stops working miles away from home!
yeah I should have headed to the other way around but it too late now, the thing is i was flying 3 battery pack before that 1 last flight no problem at all, just at the last flight it decide to freeze on me at 3.9km away from home! how suck is that

and yes I'm running 1.03beta2, and did a 24hrs bench test no locking or what so ever during the test, just stay away from 1.03beta2 or try not to fly far away, but what the point having OSD with autopilot that not safe for range ,

I made bad mistake taking out my small compass that are suppose to be at the hole position the the camera view yesterday as I think storm will save me if I'm in trouble, if i didnt taken off the compass i should be able to navigate my way back even without the OSD using the small compass which always helped me before I have the OSD

btw video is up OSD freeze at 4:49

SkySurfer Final Flight: Storm OSD failure (0 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:50 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
yeah I should have headed to the other way around but it too late now, the thing is i was flying 3 battery pack before that 1 last flight no problem at all, just at the last flight it decide to freeze on me at 3.9km away from home! how suck is that

and yes I'm running 1.03beta2, and did a 24hrs bench test no locking or what so ever during the test, just stay away from 1.03beta2 or try not to fly far away, but what the point having OSD with autopilot that not safe for range ,

I made bad mistake taking out my small compass that are suppose to be at the hole position the the camera view yesterday as I think storm will save me if I'm in trouble, if i didnt taken off the compass i should be able to navigate my way back even without the OSD using the small compass which always helped me before I have the OSD

That just sucks even more!

Im giving mine a few more efforts to fly correctly, but touch wood not lock ups again on 1.02v!

Its it a trustable OSD...Not yet No!

It makes it worse that, a new v2 board is out, its just getting rather messy! It was unfair on paying customers that they are like 'beta' testers!
I think people with the V1 boards should get an upgrade if it works better!

...I have another 2 OSD's to test since November 2012, but i have spent most of my effort trying to get this to work, im sure ill be moving onto new pastures soon!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:56 AM
Expert Crasher
Joined Nov 2011
1,958 Posts
I'm moving on, time to finish configuring my DOSD+ on my flying wing, which has been neglected for a while, lost is a lost if it my faults it fine but clearly is not user error here
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:00 AM
Joined Aug 2005
309 Posts
Quote:

i saw your video
the heading from 104-103-102-100-900-freezing
the same as other video i saw
we will check again very carefully
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:38 AM
Expert Crasher
Joined Nov 2011
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
i saw your video
the heading from 104-103-102-100-900-freezing
the same as other video i saw
we will check again very carefully
yes you should check it, at least my lost can contribute something
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2005
309 Posts
Quote:
please email us
we will try to reduce your losses
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:36 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,705 Posts
Quote:
mate, any loss is saddening, truly sad.

One thing I noticed in your video is that there is a LOT of vibration related to the speed of your motor, most likely your prop out of balance, and along with this I saw the OSD vibration icon flashing on the screen sometimes.
I doubt this would cause an OSD freeze, but for anyone else reading this, always make sure your plane is vibration free if you have any gyro based stabilization on your plane.
I am certainly no guru on this stuff, but I have read enough info on this subject, especially the effect of prop vibrations on multirotors

I know this won't help you now, but it may help others new to fpv...
when I teach others to fly fpv, I try to teach them to fly without an osd first, to make it a habit whenever they fly, to find very good & clear landmarks to use as reference points to find your way home, and do this as soon as you are in the air.
A while ago I had an expensive OSD that rebooted itself 2km away from home on a 5km run... I never thought anything of it when it rebooted on the way out, but on the way home I realized the OSD had changed the home location when it rebooted... if I didnt take note of landmarks I would never made it home.
Another time I had a different cheap OSD just stop working mid flight...
Any fpv flight should be planned, if possible before the flight have a look at google earth so you have an image in your mind, like a map, take note of BIG noticable landmarks as soon as you take to the air, even small things like take note of where the sun is during the direction you are flying.

just my opinion to assist others out there if you regard an RTH OSD as a last resort luxury but rely on your smarts and observance, hopefully less planes will be lost.

And if I may compliment you... you were prepared to ditch your plane in the forest rather than risk it flying into suburbia, this IMHO is very commendable, kudos to you mate
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:01 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
736 Posts
Are you going on a SAR mission, to have a look? or is that forest a no entry death zone
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:07 AM
Expert Crasher
Joined Nov 2011
1,958 Posts
during the last 20 minutes i actually find my way back but seem to late as video started to blackout due to low battery, as during the circling my friend was checking google map on his phone and try to find something that can be use for landmark at that time on the last part i flying toward the sun as that is the correct way home

money can be made if i crash a 1kg plane on someone head or property my cause some serious injuries and property damages, i rather ditch my plane even thought it a bit sadden by it, but moving on the osd still a great osd if the freezing didnt happen, look like i will be rebuilding my axn floater for fpv again no osd of course for now just some short range buzzing around as before
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:44 AM
Joined Dec 2009
10 Posts
I have a question about cyclops storm. I have my osd installed in a gas powered seabiplane. I have pictures on RC Group forum under Seabiplane or Finetuned40s posts. I have the 3,s lipo connected to were I removed the jumper pin as I was instructed and it worked. I get OSD display but I havent been able to get vidio from the camera as yet just black background. Two Questions Please help. Is there something Im not doing correct to get vidio from the camera? Also can I still use the current sensor to display gas engine power battery voltage and consumption of that battery on OSD screen and still get OSD and Vidio camera power battery voltage on bottom right of screen. Thanks so much for your time. Finetuned40s
finetuned50s is offline Find More Posts by finetuned50s
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:57 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
736 Posts
Im not trying to slate the Storm OSD too much...

But i would advise you spend a little more money on a OSD for that airframe, these OSD's are fine for a little bit of foam bashing, but your in an altogether different ball park with that!

Check your lens cap is off the camera (Sounds silly but i have done that lots)
Double check your wire loom into the OSD is correct

Gas engine FPV stuff scares me...

If you dead stick a few miles out, your plane becomes a V1 bomber!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:47 AM
Joined Dec 2009
10 Posts
I have a question about cyclops storm. I have my osd installed in a gas powered seabiplane. I have pictures on RC Group forum under Seabiplane or Finetuned40s posts. I have the 3,s lipo connected to were I removed the jumper pin as I was instructed and it worked. I get OSD display but I havent been able to get vidio from the camera as yet just black background. Two Questions Please help. Is there something Im not doing correct to get vidio from the camera? Also can I still use the current sensor to display gas engine power battery voltage and consumption of that battery on OSD screen and still get OSD and Vidio camera power battery voltage on bottom right of screen. Thanks so much for your time. Finetuned40s
finetuned50s is offline Find More Posts by finetuned50s