SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:49 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jul 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Guys,

is the 2 or 3 wire mod when using an external battery for video? (without the jumper).
The 2 wire mod is a simple extension of the ground, as i believe the higher current Vtx's were running the board to its capacity...

The 3 wire mod was the same but i believe there was also an issue with the ground potential being different on the two operational sides of the board and this caused some freezes...

I might be wrong but for everyone with a 1st gen board (me included) the 2 wire mod is all that is required.. I'm just waiting on my new GPS..
mawright is offline Find More Posts by mawright
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:35 PM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
So tonights test i managed to get 4 bars on the GPS!

As soon as i flick off my Tx, it does not RTH...

What am i missing?
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:51 PM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Oct 2008
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLimeClouds View Post
So tonights test i managed to get 4 bars on the GPS!

As soon as i flick off my Tx, it does not RTH...

What am i missing?
2things to check ....
Failsafe has to be set in the radio for the rth switch in its position to activate it.
if that is set properly , , check you have a fix with the gps , you wont get rth if theres no gps fix.
dont want to sound like im telling you basics , but its easy to over look even the simplest of things on occasion..

btw, nice looking groundstation .
Does your monitor suffer bluescreen on signal loss?
hpcoolahan is offline Find More Posts by hpcoolahan
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:58 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
Thank you!

Set my failsafe? I use the EzUHF, so i just hit my last known servo positions thats it?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:01 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
Also, the hole in the left is where the Japan DVR goes, the screen runs through the DVR so it does not blue screen!

The whole thing sits on a tripod, and gives me a nice area to put stuff on!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:02 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
Oh sorry I'm being a dumbass, set the OSD into RTH then hit my failsafe button on my EzUHF to remember that when no signal!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:31 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawright View Post
The 2 wire mod is a simple extension of the ground, as i believe the higher current Vtx's were running the board to its capacity...

The 3 wire mod was the same but i believe there was also an issue with the ground potential being different on the two operational sides of the board and this caused some freezes...

I might be wrong but for everyone with a 1st gen board (me included) the 2 wire mod is all that is required.. I'm just waiting on my new GPS..
how can the current of my VTx burn the OSD if im using a seperate battery source for the video gear, and the current is not running through the OSD?
i3dm is online now Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:42 PM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Australia, NSW, Yamba
Joined Oct 2008
765 Posts
Quote:
Oh sorry I'm being a dumbass, set the OSD into RTH then hit my failsafe button on my EzUHF to remember that when no signal!
Also , take you prop off(safer for setting failsafe as you want to set throttle)..........then as you set your switch to activate rth have your throttle set to about half (if that will maintain a decent cruise speed).........THEN set your failsafe for those settings.
That way when your radio signal drops out , it will kick in the rth and give you half throttle for the flight home.
hpcoolahan is offline Find More Posts by hpcoolahan
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:40 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Guys,

is the 2 or 3 wire mod when using an external battery for video? (without the jumper).
Quote:
how can the current of my VTx burn the OSD if im using a seperate battery source for the video gear, and the current is not running through the OSD?
Your first post indicates (via 'without jumper' statement), that your battery is still connected to the OSD in the OSD 2 battery setup described in the instructions.

In this case, the power for your camera is provided by via Video in, Power for your VTX is via Video out, on the OSD board..

So there is current from video going through the OSD board.

If you have a different setup than what I describe above, then you might be right that no video current is going through the board, but I'm not sure how that would work.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:42 AM
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcoolahan View Post
Also , take you prop off(safer for setting failsafe as you want to set throttle)..........then as you set your switch to activate rth have your throttle set to about half (if that will maintain a decent cruise speed).........THEN set your failsafe for those settings.
That way when your radio signal drops out , it will kick in the rth and give you half throttle for the flight home.
Even with the jumper removed and a seperate battery there will be some current flowing through the board or it wont work... this issue in the seperate battery case is (I believe) a diferent ground potential one...
mawright89 is offline Find More Posts by mawright89
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:50 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
Well i tried the OSD in the air today...

Did a trim flight, then reset trims in OSD menu, set failsafes.....hit RTH...

Just wanted to roll 100%
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:58 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
Screen shots...

Does not care if it rolls left or right!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:13 PM
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Sesvete
Joined Apr 2012
32 Posts
Today I have maiden, but before flight I made range test on field with my brother, he walk with model for 500m(osd storm gps LOS), range test pass but when he coming back the storm OSD freezeeeee :@, the fw is 1.2, 9:30 min running.
elforce is offline Find More Posts by elforce
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:46 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,638 Posts
Quote:
Well i tried the OSD in the air today...

Did a trim flight, then reset trims in OSD menu, set failsafes.....hit RTH...

Just wanted to roll 100%
If your throws are nice and short then I am at a loss to explain other than maybe you got a bad IMU?

The behaviour you describes resembles what happened to me with 2 different Cyclops Nova units. The IR wing leveller just would not initialize in the terrain where I fly. I tried it anyways at altitude, but the plane just did massive oscillations until it rolled and dove - luckily I switched to manual and saved it each time I tried it.

But then Storm 1.1 works great for me - albeit I am in a cold climate. I am flying it in a Skysurfer with normal, fairly agressive throws.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:55 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
Yes, it just seems odd!

I tried both 'trim' settings and re setting the gyro...

The P and R values are fine when it was flying as expected, as soon as PA or RTH was activated it wanted to roll and dive!

If anything i expected it to clime to 100m!

Aircraft symbol is facing forward too!

On the ground, if i flick it to RTH on the ground, the elevator goes up like it should!
Everything else is set at default values!