Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:05 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jul 2010
282 Posts
where can i get a replacement gps module, killed mine with a poor soldering iron at a crappy temp... oops
mawright is offline Find More Posts by mawright
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:38 PM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tom View Post
-and adjust mechanical throws to as minimum as you can fly with, trim to level flight mechanicaly, not over your transmitter
,... why??
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,299 Posts
Mechanical throws:
Dr Tom is referring to the placement of the links on the servo horns and clevis'.

If the link is out too far on the horn, when the storm give a command to the servo change pitch or roll, the small servo action will result in a large reaction, (an over reaction). When the plane moves too far, the storm will compensate the other way, but again too far..

The result will be an oscillation back and forth, which you do not want..

Trim to level flight:
When storm is controlling in RTH and the plane is flying at the proper altitude and direction, the storm will return the ailerons and elevator to neutral position. If the plane pitches up or down, then the storm will react and correct. Then when the plane reaches the right altitude/direction the process will repeat, over an over, resulting in a very rough flight.
InFocus is online now Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Springwood
Joined Dec 2012
324 Posts
Plane gone :(

I just posted about losing my bixler 2 on the bixler thread, but as I think about WHY I lost it, I thought I'd post some thoughts on here too.

Calm morning, flying from a sports field across to the Penrith Lakes. A bit of interference now and then, but getting around 2km (~120m alt) on standard fatshark 250mw gear before needing to turn home. Then on second fpv flight over the same area, both video and tx started to drop out repeatedly. I could see the RTH mode engaging and disengaging so my failsafe was being invoked. Was only about 1km out so something was interfering badly.

As I started to turn it back towards home (on manual flight mode), I saw RTH mode engage again through failsafe, then video dropped out big time. I hoped to see the video feed come back with the plane heading home. No such luck. One final flicker of video showed the bixler going into a spiral dive then video cut out altogether and never came back on.

It all happened so quick. I remember trying to counter the spin and give it up elevator, but with no video it was impossible to fix. All I could do in the end was put in what inputs I thought might help, recycle the RTH mode, check that it had some throttle and sit and listen out for the sound of that sweet motor coming home... it was only about 1km away, so 30 seconds later and still staring at static, I knew it was gone.

I did a two hour search to no avail. So one of many lessons learned today: when starting to lose video signal, engage PA or RTH mode while your wings are level to make sure the OSD can engage. 9 times out of 10 (or 19/20), you can turn the plane around yourself and nothing will go wrong... today was not my lucky day.
ZaksterBlue is offline Find More Posts by ZaksterBlue
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:10 AM
Joined Aug 2005
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaksterBlue View Post
I just posted about losing my bixler 2 on the bixler thread, but as I think about WHY I lost it, I thought I'd post some thoughts on here too.

Calm morning, flying from a sports field across to the Penrith Lakes. A bit of interference now and then, but getting around 2km (~120m alt) on standard fatshark 250mw gear before needing to turn home. Then on second fpv flight over the same area, both video and tx started to drop out repeatedly. I could see the RTH mode engaging and disengaging so my failsafe was being invoked. Was only about 1km out so something was interfering badly.

As I started to turn it back towards home (on manual flight mode), I saw RTH mode engage again through failsafe, then video dropped out big time. I hoped to see the video feed come back with the plane heading home. No such luck. One final flicker of video showed the bixler going into a spiral dive then video cut out altogether and never came back on.

It all happened so quick. I remember trying to counter the spin and give it up elevator, but with no video it was impossible to fix. All I could do in the end was put in what inputs I thought might help, recycle the RTH mode, check that it had some throttle and sit and listen out for the sound of that sweet motor coming home... it was only about 1km away, so 30 seconds later and still staring at static, I knew it was gone.

I did a two hour search to no avail. So one of many lessons learned today: when starting to lose video signal, engage PA or RTH mode while your wings are level to make sure the OSD can engage. 9 times out of 10 (or 19/20), you can turn the plane around yourself and nothing will go wrong... today was not my lucky day.
do you set AIL ELE and RUD failsafe on center?
extraline is offline Find More Posts by extraline
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:34 AM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
Mechanical throws:
Dr Tom is referring to the placement of the links on the servo horns and clevis'.

If the link is out too far on the horn, when the storm give a command to the servo change pitch or roll, the small servo action will result in a large reaction, (an over reaction). When the plane moves too far, the storm will compensate the other way, but again too far..

The result will be an oscillation back and forth, which you do not want..

Trim to level flight:
When storm is controlling in RTH and the plane is flying at the proper altitude and direction, the storm will return the ailerons and elevator to neutral position. If the plane pitches up or down, then the storm will react and correct. Then when the plane reaches the right altitude/direction the process will repeat, over an over, resulting in a very rough flight.
aah ok !
i was thinking that dr.tom was referring about trim the plane mechanically.

Quote:

sorry for your plane... ;( but don't worry, 99% you will find it!!
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:51 AM
Joined Dec 2012
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
do you set AIL ELE and RUD failsafe on center?
Yes, failsafe had 45% throttle, RTH on, everything else centred. I'd made all the mechanical adjustments to fly straight, also reset servo positions in OSD, so everything was flying well and PA mode worked well.

Just bad luck that I lost signal when (I think) the plane was banking too much for the RTH to engage. Once the plane was in a dive, the antenna would have been sideways so no more video after that.

If I'd had more time to think, I would have shut off throttle and held up elevator to wash off speed and try to get the glider to nose up into a stall with the hope of recovering some video signal to see what it was doing. Too late now.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:57 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Yes, failsafe had 45% throttle, RTH on, everything else centred. I'd made all the mechanical adjustments to fly straight, also reset servo positions in OSD, so everything was flying well and PA mode worked well.

Just bad luck that I lost signal when (I think) the plane was banking too much for the RTH to engage. Once the plane was in a dive, the antenna would have been sideways so no more video after that.

If I'd had more time to think, I would have shut off throttle and held up elevator to wash off speed and try to get the glider to nose up into a stall with the hope of recovering some video signal to see what it was doing. Too late now.
so very sorry mate
there always is hindsight, I could write a book on mine
here's to hoping you will find it!
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:01 AM
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2012
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawright View Post
where can i get a replacement gps module, killed mine with a poor soldering iron at a crappy temp... oops
I got a new one form Bevrc
The picture is wrong but the cable (3 wires) works for the Storm.
I would recommend putting some expoxy (very little) at the connection between the wires and the connectors otherwise the wires break after a while.
fpv38 is offline Find More Posts by fpv38
Last edited by fpv38; Jan 04, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,299 Posts
Here is something else to think about. I will ssume that your 'failsafe' for out of range TX/RX control is set to RTH, throttle at 50% or something like that, and the plane is well trimmed etc.

When the plane goes out of range, it will go RTH. But, remember, often you will gradually lose signal, so you may go in and out of control TX/RX range many times when your right at the limit of the control TX/RX range.

If the plane then comes back into range, and your TX is set to Normal mode (not PA), then the system will go back to normal mode. If the plane was tilted (maybe because RTH was making a turn and applying elevator), then it goes back to normal mode, it will not automatically level the plane, then go back to normal mode. It will stay tilted until the pilot manually fixes it.

BUT if your control is set to PA mode, and the failsafe goes to RTH, then the plane will stay in RTH even when you get back into control range. It will stay in RTH until you manually switch it back to normal mode.. (switching to 'normal' mode is like a trigger to force it out of RTH)..

Recommendation to pilots:
If you usually fly in 'normal' mode. When you detect the plane is automatically going to RTH because of failsafe, then you should manually set your TX to RTH (or PA). And only when you are comfortable that video quality is good, and you can determine the orientation of the plane, flip back to normal mode..

If you usually fly in PA mode. When the plane goes to RTH, wait until you are comfortable with the video quality, before you flip to normal mode (to clear RTH), and then back to PA mode.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Did you have a video recording, so you can at least have recorded the last known GPS coordinates, (which show when your in RTH). This may also help in finding your plane.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
Did you have a video recording, so you can at least have recorded the last known GPS coordinates, (which show when your in RTH). This may also help in finding your plane.
No, that's one of the lessons learned yesterday! Invest in a ground recorder.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:49 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
I think there may be a limitation of the video chip used on the storm with high resolution cameras. Could this be possible extraline? Still doesn't explain why I had flawless video until I did the three wire modification.
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wippo76 View Post
I am following this tread from the beginning
Offcourse there where some problems but...
The biggest problem with the storm are the customers
When you are asking questions about setting up Failsafe !!
Connectings and/or voltages
Ask yourself if you are ready for fpv
first start with the basics and later look at these kind of advanced stuff
Wippo - I think your right. Based on some of the questions , one has to ask : Just how much experience do a lot of the people on this thread have in fpv or rc flying ? Are they trying to run before they can walk ? I started flying planes and helis los four years ago; then i got the idea of strapping a small key camera to the wing; and then logically moved into fpv in march of 2012. I doubt I would ever have went straight into FPV first. It is a fantastic thing though and can understand the excitement and interest it generates. The questions ( most ) are useful, but could be answered easily if the Manufatureres would write proper instructional manuals with correct word usage ( in every language ).
windmoore is offline Find More Posts by windmoore
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:30 AM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integratedneck View Post
I think there may be a limitation of the video chip used on the storm with high resolution cameras. Could this be possible extraline? Still doesn't explain why I had flawless video until I did the three wire modification.
don't think your 600TVL camera rides osd over the edge,
because mine is running with even more 700-750 TVL, all ok for now.

direct link REMOVED because there was a problem with it

Code:
http://www.bevrc.com/bevwdr750-700tvl-osd-control-color-ccd-camera_p482.html
c/p this link into your browser address field,
otherwise it will take you to some other site, they forbid linking from other sites, that's why.
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
Last edited by Dr.Tom; Jan 04, 2013 at 02:55 AM.