HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Upon review, despite my best efforts not to "flame" Cyclops and its loyal fans, I fear I have done just that. So once again my apologies for hijacking this thread with "gripes" for the last day or so. One last suggestion on parting, if available memory is the prohibitive factor as it pertains to implementing a artificial horizon rather than P/R values, could you simply just do away with the mah counter all together, leaving room for horizon in future firmware updates? Mah counters are a touchy subject, I personally believe a accurate/calibrated voltage readout is all one should need to determine flight duration and level of lipo discharge. I would doubt I am alone in my willingness to see a proper horizon function vs mah counter. I will now bow out of this thread as I have nothing more constructive to offer, sorry for the troubles.
mightymouse7717 is offline Find More Posts by mightymouse7717
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
hello everyone
my storm arrived today as with most peoples the gps unit it is set at 5v
i was just wondering if someone could list any other modifications that have to be done as there seems to be quite a number of problems with this unit i have read the thread but some parts i dont quite understand
thank you for any help
mr stu is offline Find More Posts by mr stu
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Aug 2007
60 Posts
to mighty mouse

I appreciate your comments but I would just like to add one thing. Please do not call all Americans simple consumers with no desire to learn/experiment. While I agree most Americans are getting lazier by the day, there are many that are willing to experiment and do not expect perfection at every turn. What you want is an OSD that does everything and pay 140$ ?? I would have hoped you realized a new device just coming out months ago was not going to be perfect. If you ask a company in china to make something that costs 300$ to make but only want to pay 140$ , what do you expect. It is not the Chinese selling lazy Americans cheap junk -- it is Americans not wanting to pay what a quality device should cost.

I am sure you have an Iphone as well. No wonder Americans are buying these things up like hotcakes . This phone is about as simple as they come - my 5 year old has figured it out!! I actually went out and bought a Samsung S3 . I guess I am not the typical American. I want to be able to tinker and experiment and create a device for me!

While you might be the iphone guy --- many of us are not == so do not insult all Americans and call us simple consumers.

Extraline -- I would be interested in having an artificial horizon , but not at the expense of losing an mah counter. You had mentioned you were going to add a feature to allow the user to fine tune the Mah counter --- THIS would be every appreciated, as presently it is horribly inaccurate.
gzmann is online now Find More Posts by gzmann
Last edited by gzmann; Dec 20, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:46 PM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
Adjusting, tweaking, tuning, experimenting and testing is part where i enjoy most from this hobby. Most satisfaction comes when problems solved like what happened to me with this product. Now i feels like i'm very close to it and start gaining my thrust with it. You have to go thru this 1st stage then you'll understand what i mean.
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:14 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
Failsafe --> RTH?

Guys you are writing new pages faster than I am reading old ones!
On page 42 now... And hurrying, so I might have missed the answer to this question:

Components:
- FRSKY telemetry enabled set (telemetry not activated though except for audible low signal alarm)
- Storm OSD

Failsafe:
- FRSKY settings are (afaik, I'm new to FRSKY so may miss smth) either none or "keep last sticks positions before fail".

How do you manage to engage RTH in case of fail? Is it possible at all?

Thank you and sorry if I'm asking to repeat something already said many times.
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
Sorry guys if this was asked before, I'm reading the thread from the beginning but still on page 32...
I power on the Storm (bench so far, probably will take it out tmrw), everything works more or less as should, but even with GPS getting fixed, the red LED on the board always keeps flashing.
In my implication, it should flash while looking for signal and then go into solid on mode but it doesn't.
So, is it normal that the LED on the board flashes all the way regardless GPS status?

Thank you.
- Mark -
Short answer is YES . Yes it is normal for the red led to flash continuously. When it flashes like that it tells you the unit is working/active. If the red light is flashing it is also telling you the gps is working. Incidentally, if it did not flash, the GPS connection or cable is probably the problem - maybe it needs pushed in more. I have had both cyclops Nova and now storm and the led light on both flash coninuously regardless of how many satlalites you pick up. Then, when you do pick up sats, the icon will show bars representing individual sats ( i usually get five ), but some bars/sats may dissapear depending on reception )the compass will begin to move and the features on the screen i.e alt, direction mah reader will be active. P.s I just put my storm into my skywalker. It replaced my Nova and on first flight I lost video about mile out and had four short failsafes. I toggled on the rth and crossed my fingers. The storm performed perfectly and brought my skywalker home. It kept to fixed alt and when it got back to me, it circled overhead at the same alt give or take a couple of feet. I' very happy with mine. I then ran numerous test on rtn and pa and the thing worked consistently great. Lets hope it continues to do so.
windmoore is offline Find More Posts by windmoore
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:45 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmoore View Post
Short answer is YES (.....)
Thank you!
One more thing, you mentioned failsafe - how do you set your failsafe to engage RTH on loss of signal?
I just wrote a question and posted it in this thread a few mins ago...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,446 Posts
Is this the same Rx that you have?
FrSky: Binding and Setting FailSafe (2 min 18 sec)

I think this is the document that explains what the video is showing:
http://www.himodel.com/en/info/manua..._V8_series.pdf

So, from what I read. You bind normally. Then after it is bound, you set the TX sticks and controls to your 'failsafe' position, and then press the bind button again..

I do not own an FrSky system, so I can not test to verify this works.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:11 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
Is this the same Rx that you have?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4T968HHPM

I think this is the document that explains what the video is showing:
http://www.himodel.com/en/info/manua..._V8_series.pdf

So, from what I read. You bind normally. Then after it is bound, you set the TX sticks and controls to your 'failsafe' position, and then press the bind button again..

I do not own an FrSky system, so I can not test to verify this works.
that correct, after binding flip your switch for rth and set throttle accordingly press the f/s button it will blink then stop, fail safe should remember the last position of stick and switch, i have more than 10 frsky rx for years, now slowly moving to rangelink
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:22 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
after it is bound, you set the TX sticks and controls to your 'failsafe' position, and then press the bind button again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
that correct, after binding flip your switch for rth and set throttle accordingly press the f/s button it will blink then stop, fail safe should remember the last position of stick and switch
Thank you gentlemen, it helped; I was just sort of wondering whether the FRSKY preloaded sticks positions would in some way conflict with OSD. I thought that since the pilot's input has priority over OSD's, the Storm might presume that the FRSKY's positioning of controls is actually coming from the human operator and continue flying according to FRSKY instead of taking my plane back to me.

Thank you again..... I believe I'll be back with more qs before long!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:29 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
And one more thing I wanted to say:

老杨多谢你了,
This thread is a fantastic example of real customer support, something so rarely seen not only from Chinese vendors but also from perhaps 90 % of Western sellers/manufacturers.
I'm impressed, really. This is how businesses win loyalty and businessmen win hearts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:25 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jul 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
老杨多谢你了,
This thread is a fantastic example of real customer support, something so rarely seen not only from Chinese vendors but also from perhaps 90 % of Western sellers/manufacturers.
I'm impressed, really. This is how businesses win loyalty and businessmen win hearts
seconded, well done extraline..

And lets be honest, for this price, the unit is a winner in my books.

I use Frsky TFr8 with my storm and InFocus is spot on. Take off prop and set RTH switch on and throttle setting for safe cruise and press bind button. Dont worry about other channels as when it see's RTH active it disregards your stick input anyway... Works very well and saved my airframe not 20mins ago... i need a rangelink set lol
mawright is offline Find More Posts by mawright
Last edited by mawright; Dec 21, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Update
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Mar 2005
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzmann View Post
I just received a Storm OSD from BEVRC yesterday and set it up today. When I first set it up I tried to reset the gyro as per first start up instructions and have been unable to get through this procedure - it won't reset nor will it allow me to change screen etc. I left it for 10 minutes and still the gyro would not reset. If I turned the OSD off then on again I noticed the Pitch and roll values on the top right of the screen are both continuously changing and rolling through -180 to +180 for roll and -20 to +20 for pitch. It seems the gyro is not working properly. I have a friend who just bought one and his works fine and his gyro reset as well without problems. I have sent an email to BEVRC and will await instructions. I will soon find out how their customer service is - unfortunately.

Anyone know what I could do to rectify the problem?

Thanks for now

dzmann
Hello Dzmann,
Have you solved your problem?
I am in the same situation.....
Please let me know something about..
Ciao
westy1957 is offline Find More Posts by westy1957
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:52 AM
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2012
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawright View Post
yea one of the connectors was shagged, but the replacement cable just happened to have the damaged plug on one end so I used it with the non-broken half of the original... I was lucky.
Did you get a replacement from the GPS cable from BEVRC ? I don't see on their website.
The wires are too thin and after a while, they get dammaged at the connector level. If you look with a microscope, it is scary to think that the whole system is relying on such fragile wires.
fpv38 is offline Find More Posts by fpv38
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv38 View Post
Did you get a replacement from the GPS cable from BEVRC ? I don't see on their website.
The wires are too thin and after a while, they get dammaged at the connector level. If you look with a microscope, it is scary to think that the whole system is relying on such fragile wires.
I do agree the wires suck, but then again, look - improve this, enhance that, add this and don't forget that... and keep the price the same! - it's not realistic.

We can and we should expect the equipment we buy not to crash our airplanes.
Still, we can't expect the equipment makers to bend over backwards. Simply because it'd cost more.
The cable is bad indeed. Replacing it with a servo cable costs next to zero and takes 10 minutes...
Personally I did so.

Please don't take it in a way I didn't intend it to be I'm not saying you're wrong. I am a customer, just like you. I just have a bit more understanding of the situation Chinese manufacturers are in because I am living in China myself (17 years and counting).

- Mark -
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Dec 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM.