HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
Australia, NSW, Springwood
Joined Dec 2012
328 Posts
Yay, I just checked the gps module and it is already bridged for 3.3V. Bought the kit from ebay seller 'vocanlo' on 9 November. Also came with firmware 1.02 installed. Though I did also buy the USB adaptor, so am looking forward to seeing 1.03! (any ETA on this?)
ZaksterBlue is offline Find More Posts by ZaksterBlue
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Aug 2005
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrracer98 View Post
Thank you for your reply, i thought that is what you meant but sometimes its hard to read you english ;-) thank you for all your support please keep it up. It means the world here and for the storm. I appreciate it!
im chinese
extraline is offline Find More Posts by extraline
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemark40 View Post
I have been reading this thread and I am interested in buying the storm OSD. I must admit however I am having second thoughts when I read you need to solder extra wires to OSD. Can this all be prevented by just running parallel connections from battery and powering camera and VTX directly from battery and not through OSD. My camera and VTX are rated for 12v so I don't think this would be an issue.

There have been many many successful users of the Storm OSD in its stock form. When used with lower power Video TX (under 500mW), and average cameras, the recommended 1 battery or 2 battery setup it seems to be working for most people.

There have been a few folks here who experienced 'lockups' where the data on the display would freeze.

I think Dr. Tom ran into an issue where he had an old board, AND also was using a video TX with higher mW. This really exposed the weakness in the board. He was he was able to reproduce the problem doing very long run tests.

The good news is that extraline was able to determine the root cause of the issue.
The 2 wire fix makes the board more reliable (extraline says 'safer'), regardless of whether your using a high mW tx or camera or not. The issue is not specific to 1 or 2 battery setups.

Thank you extraline, and Dr. Tom for your information!
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,245 Posts
im having some rf interference issues, why are the 2 wire solder mod are recommended? seriously does not explain my friend setup work fine (we copy each other setup) same plane same motor same rx same everything his work fine mine dont

for the sake of testing i gonna solder the cable as instructed but i have doubt it will fix my problem as my cam and vtx not getting power from osd anymore only video out and in going to the osd
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:41 PM
Australia, NSW, Springwood
Joined Dec 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
im having some rf interference issues, why are the 2 wire solder mod are recommended? seriously does not explain my friend setup work fine (we copy each other setup) same plane same motor same rx same everything his work fine mine dont

for the sake of testing i gonna solder the cable as instructed but i have doubt it will fix my problem as my cam and vtx not getting power from osd anymore only video out and in going to the osd
The first time I connected my VTX to OSD I only used the video in/out wires and powered the VTX and Cam with a separate battery. The OSD display was weak and some text was in the wrong place. I realised that the OSD and VTX needed to share a common ground, so once I reconfigured my wiring to ground them together the display was ok again. This might not be your issue, but posting in case it helps you or anyoe else.
ZaksterBlue is offline Find More Posts by ZaksterBlue
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
721 Posts
Quote:
im having some rf interference issues, why are the 2 wire solder mod are recommended?
seriously does not explain my friend setup work fine (we copy each other setup) same plane same motor same rx same everything his work fine mine dont

for the sake of testing i gonna solder the cable as instructed but i have doubt it will fix my problem
as my cam and vtx not getting power from osd anymore only video out and in going to the osd

try to plug your friends OSD in your plane, and yours to his plane.
that's a VERY quick way of finding out if OSD is causing this or not (I believe something else is causing it, like in post #707 )
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:47 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,862 Posts
My experiences in getting my Skyfun going with STORM

Just thought others may benefit from my experiences and leanrings from this thread in getting my HK Skyfun going. Might save someone a lot of reading:

The HK skyfun is an excellent little sports pusher prop plane that also is a great FPV platform: Smallish, cheap to power (3S 2200, 28mm 2000kV, 6X4), plenty aerobatic, easy to modify from stock HK crap (cheap), and with it's delta wing, can carry an FPV setup with ease.

Firstly the airframe: I bought the kit (not RTF) and fitted it out with:
- Turnigy 2836 2350kV outrunner turning a 6X5.5 E-APC.
- Turnigy plush 60A (for future motor upgrade).
- Turnigy MG14 servos, with pushrods on top of the wing.
- Replaced foam elevons with balsa.
- Fitted a 4X1mm CF ribbon spar to the underside
- Laminating film on the bottom of the wing - extra stiffness and landing durability
- 4 strong magnets to hold the canopy on.
- Re-glue the clear plastic canopy window on better.
- 3S 2200 30C batteries.

Now for the OSD:
- Pushrod link fitted to the INNERmost hole of the servo arm
- Pushrod link fitted to the OUTERmost (highest) hole of the elevon horn
(These will reduce sensitivity, and prevent the STORM from overcontrolling).
- Position the OSD as close to the CoG as possible.
- Position the GPS antenna out on the wing, away from everything else.
- Roll and Pitch gain 20%.
- Roll and Pitch angle 30 degrees.
- Ensure GPS is running on 3.3V (jumper mod) not 5V.
- Triple check that PA and RTH directions are correct.
- CoG at front of finger holes.

For FPV, I use a #16 V2 key fob cam with the "D" lens (120 degree FOV). Modify the camera firmware to allow live feed. Power the camera from an empty 5V RX plug. Power the camera and VTX from the main flight battery. This camera is reasonably aerodynamic, and weighs very little, so it gives plenty of scope for a range of flight battery locations (weights = endurance). Remember to turn the camera on first, then power up the OSD to ensure that all the ODS info fits on the screen and is not stretched outside the edges.

First few flights were frustrating because even low gains were too much - got severe roll over-correction. The solution was to lessen the servo authority my reducing the movement of the elevons. This allowed the OSD to not overcontrol, and smoothed things out nicely. I've still got enough throw to do all the acrobatics I want, and have high rates available (125%) for launch and landing.

Hope that this helps.

Roger
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:24 AM
9W2DLR
Joined Nov 2011
2,245 Posts
dam i was rewiring just now i have to take out the osd from the plane, then something fell off to my suprise this is the thing that fell of the board

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1355735889758.jpg
Views: 270
Size: 39.2 KB
Description:

i have no idea how does that thing came off seem the case have broken a part, i dont remember having a hard landing on my bixler, plus i dont know what the hell is that and how to fix it, but now i guess i found what my cause those problem i have
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Aug 2005
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post
Just thought others may benefit from my experiences and leanrings from this thread in getting my HK Skyfun going. Might save someone a lot of reading:

The HK skyfun is an excellent little sports pusher prop plane that also is a great FPV platform: Smallish, cheap to power (3S 2200, 28mm 2000kV, 6X4), plenty aerobatic, easy to modify from stock HK crap (cheap), and with it's delta wing, can carry an FPV setup with ease.

Firstly the airframe: I bought the kit (not RTF) and fitted it out with:
- Turnigy 2836 2350kV outrunner turning a 6X5.5 E-APC.
- Turnigy plush 60A (for future motor upgrade).
- Turnigy MG14 servos, with pushrods on top of the wing.
- Replaced foam elevons with balsa.
- Fitted a 4X1mm CF ribbon spar to the underside
- Laminating film on the bottom of the wing - extra stiffness and landing durability
- 4 strong magnets to hold the canopy on.
- Re-glue the clear plastic canopy window on better.
- 3S 2200 30C batteries.

Now for the OSD:
- Pushrod link fitted to the INNERmost hole of the servo arm
- Pushrod link fitted to the OUTERmost (highest) hole of the elevon horn
(These will reduce sensitivity, and prevent the STORM from overcontrolling).
- Position the OSD as close to the CoG as possible.
- Position the GPS antenna out on the wing, away from everything else.
- Roll and Pitch gain 20%.
- Roll and Pitch angle 30 degrees.
- Ensure GPS is running on 3.3V (jumper mod) not 5V.
- Triple check that PA and RTH directions are correct.
- CoG at front of finger holes.

For FPV, I use a #16 V2 key fob cam with the "D" lens (120 degree FOV). Modify the camera firmware to allow live feed. Power the camera from an empty 5V RX plug. Power the camera and VTX from the main flight battery. This camera is reasonably aerodynamic, and weighs very little, so it gives plenty of scope for a range of flight battery locations (weights = endurance). Remember to turn the camera on first, then power up the OSD to ensure that all the ODS info fits on the screen and is not stretched outside the edges.

First few flights were frustrating because even low gains were too much - got severe roll over-correction. The solution was to lessen the servo authority my reducing the movement of the elevons. This allowed the OSD to not overcontrol, and smoothed things out nicely. I've still got enough throw to do all the acrobatics I want, and have high rates available (125%) for launch and landing.

Hope that this helps.

Roger
Attention
please set Pitch angle 10-12 degree, Roll 20-25 degree It is very important
i think gain may be 50%-70%
Last edited by extraline; Dec 17, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Aug 2005
330 Posts
Quote:
dam i was rewiring just now i have to take out the osd from the plane, then something fell off to my suprise this is the thing that fell of the board

Attachment 5378650

i have no idea how does that thing came off seem the case have broken a part, i dont remember having a hard landing on my bixler, plus i dont know what the hell is that and how to fix it, but now i guess i found what my cause those problem i have
This is an inductance
Very fragile
change it
200-300uH
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:06 AM
9W2DLR
Joined Nov 2011
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
This is an inductance
Very fragile
change it
200-300uH
indeed very fragile, i have try to search around local store here none of them does seem to have this, even i can find one i not sure if i can solder it to the board
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by skellator; Dec 17, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:11 AM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
650 Posts
Please advise

Hello Storm users, can someone please tell me if this is not a good idea? I am running my storm with the power jumper removed from the pins. The Storm is being powered directly from my Immersion 600mw tx .My concern is that the power out of the TX is only 5v. I have been running my Cyclops easyosd this way without issue, and i did a test flight with the storm and bench tests it worked great. Is there a regulator in the storm that drops down the input voltage to 5v? I am concerned i may be under powering it.......... Thanks,
Chris.
witstick is offline Find More Posts by witstick
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:51 AM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
721 Posts
if you can't solder it back, can you try to unwound 1 turn from it, to make wire stick a bit out,
then burn isolation with cigarette lighter,
and solder the wire back to pcb... 1 end to 1 point, second end to other point.
orientation as far I know doesn't matter.

it is just a coil of wire, many turns,
and no matter if it has 1 or 2 turns less (it could have 10 turns less and still work ok)

making one yourself is not an option?
enter some numbers to get required turns and so...
http://www.pronine.ca/multind.htm

if really really not possible to find matching coil or solder old one back, and your OSD doesn't work any more.
you have nothing to loose. Then I would make a bridge over 2 contacts, coil does that too, but it eliminates voltage spikes in the way.
but contact extraline before doing this! don't take my suggestion as final
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dr.Tom; Dec 17, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:35 AM
Love the Cub
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Sep 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
There have been many many successful users of the Storm OSD in its stock form. When used with lower power Video TX (under 500mW), and average cameras, the recommended 1 battery or 2 battery setup it seems to be working for most people.

There have been a few folks here who experienced 'lockups' where the data on the display would freeze.

I think Dr. Tom ran into an issue where he had an old board, AND also was using a video TX with higher mW. This really exposed the weakness in the board. He was he was able to reproduce the problem doing very long run tests.

The good news is that extraline was able to determine the root cause of the issue.
The 2 wire fix makes the board more reliable (extraline says 'safer'), regardless of whether your using a high mW tx or camera or not. The issue is not specific to 1 or 2 battery setups.

Thank you extraline, and Dr. Tom for your information!
Thanks for the information InFocus. I currently have a 600mw video TX and a 12v BEV-WDR750 camera. I think I will just run video TX, camera, and Storm OSD from a seperate 3 cell LIPO.

I have been flying models for over 25 years but have just gotten into the fascinating world of FPV. I am currently converting my Great Planes Piper J-3 cub to electric and plan on using the storm OSD mostly for RTH if I have any issues.

I think this is a great forum for information on the storm OSD and it is nice to see how involved extraline is with answering questions.
onthemark40 is offline Find More Posts by onthemark40
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Quote:

Attachment 5378650

Mine fell off also and I unwound 1 turn and re soldered... Works fine..
mawright89 is offline Find More Posts by mawright89