HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2005
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1elite View Post
how can i get the rssi hooked up ? ive asked before but havent gotten a straight answer. i have dragonlink v2 and storm osd. how can i make the connection ? im unclear about this procedure. thanks .
first you need cyclops updater
second download this file and follow the instructions to do
extraline is offline Find More Posts by extraline
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:54 PM
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
first you need cyclops updater
second download this file and follow the instructions to do
Just bought a Storm OSD v 1.02. I'm trying to hook up the RSSI.
I've got an EZuhf receiver but no idea if capable..

Is there something different with this version you just posted?

Do you have some advice or insight?
SimpsonJ is offline Find More Posts by SimpsonJ
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Aug 2005
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonJ View Post

sorry i dont know what kind of your receiver RSSI
digital or analog signal?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:04 AM
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2010
500 Posts
Quote:
Does this help?
SimpsonJ is offline Find More Posts by SimpsonJ
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:30 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonJ View Post

you can't, unless you use some kind of PPM to analog converter with it
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:32 AM
Germany, HE, Idstein
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Hallo, I have the same "RSSI" question. Is it possible with Graupner MX-20 and GR-16 combination, and if so, how?

Thx

Dan

My FPV / Flight Videos

PS: I know that the MX-20 has RSSI on it's display built in, I want to have it on the OSD.
Stasiak is offline Find More Posts by Stasiak
Last edited by Stasiak; Dec 07, 2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:56 AM
9W2DLR
Joined Nov 2011
2,174 Posts
you have to check your rx yiu need analog rssi in order to work with storm, as example rangelink rssi work is it an analog rssi but frsky rssi does not as it a digital you will need some kind converter to convert the digital signal to analog
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:31 AM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
715 Posts
extraline,
when you do the new firmware,

consider proposed modifications,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=537

+ 1 new I came up with today while flying over mountain.
storm doesn't control throttle, ok. no problem,
we set failsafe on RX for lets say 60% throttle, (for example 40% is enough for cruise)
it works fine when in level flight, and even in climbing, we can set angle, thats ok,

but altitude is 500m max, and FPV-ers like to fly above mountains,
and if I am lets say 1200 m high, like in the picture in linked post above,
if RTH engages, plane would crash into mountain on way to me.
not to say it would bump up the speed to critical level, because RX doesn't know it's descending, it keeps motor turning!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you cannot set rth height above 500m because of laws, or whatever,
and if you could it would demand we change it before every flight accordingly to our flight plan,
because if we leave it at 1500m all the time,
plane would always burn batteries to climb to that alt. when RTH,
even if we are flying at horizontal land.

but there is an easy solution!

leave max h as it is,
make RTH climb to user setable value, it's ok, to avoid hiting something on way back if we are too low,
(and no need for 1km high because we cannot fly behind mountain if we launch at bottom, only to one side of it, because of LOS,
and if we are on top of it, osd would record it as 0m, so no problem with 500m limit )
BUT turn OFF descending while RTH,
so if plane is 1200m high, and rth is set to 200m, or 500m, OSD doesn't bother with it,
just flies to home like in PA mode, keeping altitude and heading,

we won't hit a mountain on our way back that way, and sure won't hit anything other,
speed would also be OK, no critical increase like when diving from 1km to 500m

logicaly it would look something like this
- RTH on
- IF 'h' < preset RTH 'h' then - climb to preset RTH 'h' and continue in RTH
- IF 'h' > preset RTH 'h' then - turn to 'home'(or RTH ON 10 seconds) and after that 10 sec activate only PA (it keeps heading and current 'h')

--------------------------------------------------------------------

thank you for reading this,
sorry for a longer post, but I tried to explain why and how,
what do you think, possible or too complicated, maybe you have some better idea? because you know the code

('speed' and 'alt' ladders could get removed from display and free some memory if needed for that )
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dr.Tom; Dec 07, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:07 PM
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2012
107 Posts
Very good idea to have the option to keep the same altitude in RTH.
I would go for a value in RTH like 'same' or 'flat' rather than playing with the angle that might impact the plane behaviour in real PA mode.
fpv38 is offline Find More Posts by fpv38
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:30 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv38 View Post
Very good idea to have the option to keep the same altitude in RTH.
I would go for a value in RTH like 'same' or 'flat' rather than playing with the angle that might impact the plane behaviour in real PA mode.
make the menu item MINIMUM ALT...then if above when RTH engages, it just tries to hold the current altitude...if below , then it will climb and maintain
MINIMUM ALT, like now...

very good idea!

btw, I got my 3rd Storm (I just couldn't NOT try again...it has such good features for the price..if only more worked out of the box..) and this one has worked now for several flights! my fingers are crossed hopping for continued operation...

I have it setup in a 39" PopWing flying wing and finally got it dialed in...I had to reduce the mechanical elevon linkages by over 50% to allow me to use pitch and roll gains in the 70% range (you need them above 50% in my opinion to get definitive stabilization and RTH actions).....the control loops just dont seem to work well with highly aerobatic setups (ie very high roll rates), because if you reduce the gains to something like 30% or less to get the wing rocking minimized, there is no authority to disturbance conrrections and RTH action seems too lazy..so now it rolls more like a Bixler and Storm works well..
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2012
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee8sec View Post
Just opened up mine, same, 5v shorted. Glad iam slow at building my skywalker & haven't used the OSD yet. Leigh
I discovered mine had the wrong voltage configuration.
Although it worked ok so far (10 flights), I only noticed a few weird behaviors a few times, I'll see if it makes a difference.
fpv38 is offline Find More Posts by fpv38
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
I contacted with himodel where I ordered the storm osd to ask the configuration voltage.
They informed me that the are sold me a 3,3v version gps. I ordered at 2012/10/30
For some time the osd was out of stock. May be they have time to check the gps boards for 3,3v config.
So I do not have to open the heat shrink I think.
kirilos is offline Find More Posts by kirilos
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:46 AM
9W2DLR
Joined Nov 2011
2,174 Posts
mine was 5v extraline owe me some heatshrink
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:04 AM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tom View Post
what do you think, possible or too complicated, maybe you have some better idea? because you know the code
my idea is more simple... add the possibility to set an altitude from 0 to 5000m.
your think is correct when you talked about mountain, but the rest is quite unimportant.
the question is: when you need the rth? the answer is: when you get faisafe or lose video. and when it happen? when you fly too low, out of los or when your plane is too much far away.

in the first case the rth must put the nose of the plane up and after 4m climb you can return in control 99%.

in the second case the important thing is that your plane must points automatically the launch point. but probably it will never happen, when you fly at the limit of your system the signal doesn't stops working without advise.. so probably you can get the first failsafe at 20km the second one at 25 and after 28/30km... so probably the rth will work for 1second just to advise you

i'm planning a new world record flight so if possible add more than 100 km mx distance, more time, more mah ecc...
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Aug 2005
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
make the menu item MINIMUM ALT...then if above when RTH engages, it just tries to hold the current altitude...if below , then it will climb and maintain
MINIMUM ALT, like now...

very good idea!

btw, I got my 3rd Storm (I just couldn't NOT try again...it has such good features for the price..if only more worked out of the box..) and this one has worked now for several flights! my fingers are crossed hopping for continued operation...

I have it setup in a 39" PopWing flying wing and finally got it dialed in...I had to reduce the mechanical elevon linkages by over 50% to allow me to use pitch and roll gains in the 70% range (you need them above 50% in my opinion to get definitive stabilization and RTH actions).....the control loops just dont seem to work well with highly aerobatic setups (ie very high roll rates), because if you reduce the gains to something like 30% or less to get the wing rocking minimized, there is no authority to disturbance conrrections and RTH action seems too lazy..so now it rolls more like a Bixler and Storm works well..
in my opinion your idea is great, the min RTH ALT
and we need to pay attention to this
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/blo...ng-fpv-policy/