HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
why I need to trim if P and R = 0?
Quote:
If due to the installation errors, the P, R parameters are not 0, you can adjust this option, such as P-3, R+5, then adjust the P to -3 , R to +5 in the TRIM
The problem in the video is on ground everything is 0 (or +/- 1 degree) when level... like manual says.
But after I fly P and R change.... and RTH will not work.
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Aug 2005
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
why I need to trim if P and R = 0?

The problem in the video is on ground everything is 0 (or +/- 1 degree) when level... like manual says.
But after I fly P and R change.... and RTH will not work.
may be on the ground the attitude is not same as level fly.
extraline is offline Find More Posts by extraline
Last edited by extraline; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
maybe ... need to more testing..
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
maybe ... need to more testing..
Octane look at my video

Storm OSD testing (12 min 29 sec)

First look at 10:30, this dive, my RTH is set at 300 ft, I was 400 some feet, so it dived, but never pulled out of it, similar to yours, But then check out 11:15, Here I was like 250 ft, I flipped on RTH, it should've started climbing right away, however it acted exactly like your video...

In my case I can confirm this was a trim issues. (becasue i was dinking with them in flight because my mechanical centers were WAY off) I got it back, landed, reset servo center, and launched it, and it worked fine. I dont know if the gyro is thinking with the trims or what... but once my trims were on, it seemed fine again...
mrracer98 is offline Find More Posts by mrracer98
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:00 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
yes it looks very similar for sure. im going to reset everything .. mechanical setup , trims etc and try again.

BUT the thing that i dont undrestand, which I found out yesterday , but thought to be because of different inside vs outside temp ... was that gyro drift.. you know when you set P and R perfect 0 at home , and you go out to the field , and the P and R is off.
Well , it actually happends inside also , I made sure the plane was 100% level , did a Reset Gyro , and confirmed P and R was 0.. then turned off power.
5min later I turned the power on again , still the plane was 100% level .. but now the R was +6.
Plane haven't moved, just power off / power on.
Thats why im saying theres something strange going on with the gyros.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
why does this happend? turn off power, wait 5-10min , turn on power , P / R change.
Storm gyro problem (0 min 42 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Aug 2005
336 Posts
Quote:
why does this happend? turn off power, wait 5-10min , turn on power , P / R change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4S0t0LtRkk
temperature change so wait 1 min and reset
extraline is offline Find More Posts by extraline
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:10 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
can you improve this with a new firmware?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Octane, One thing I noticed now looking at your full video... Notice at 6:48 you are pulling 9 amps, your RTH is working fine. Alt must be set at 200m? Then 6:50 you increase throttle to 13.5 amps and shortly after it starts climbing. Then RTH tries to dump some altitude and gets all confused it seems and keeps the dive going as mine did.

I had also noticed that when I used RTH I made sure to trim out my plane at my failsafe 60% throttle, and then when I used the RTH I kept my throttle close or at my trimmed throttle. Because I noticed it doesnt take much to confuse it because it is so sensitive I suppose.

One thing I cannot understand is why the P value is like 10+ when you are diving.

HOWEVER!?!?!?! that WOULD make sense If the P/R values where of the SERVO input movement and not the the physical board movement. (i.e. the plane was imputing 10+ pitch to trying to pull you out of it) that said, that would be impossible or otherwise when you move servos on the ground in PA mode the P/R values should change right?

Extraline perhaps you can better explain how the P/R values are obtained? Is it a straight gyro output number or is there some algoritym that the P/R values are obtained from?

I cannot explain how servo centering had anything to do with this, but it fixed mine.... Extraline can you explain further? Perhaps this is an easy firmware fix.

As far as the plane not remembering P/R values I noticed that sometimes the software was glitchy and I would have to re-start it once or twice initially.... so I guess that does not surprise me. Like I said I have to test more, it is currently going in a new plane.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Also, at 6:54-6:55 the nose pitches up and the P+ goes to +7.... why it would do that? Perhaps you it the elevator accidently?

Also note when you try RTH again at 7:30-8:13 your altitude is now like 230M why was it not trying to bring you back to 200M... i dont know why between the barometer and the GPS altitude it does not adjust your pitch value to drop back to 200 M....???? Firmware issue???

how far off center are your trimmed out values? Not saying it is your fault octane, just trying to get this figured out.... I think this is a good platform....
Last edited by mrracer98; Oct 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,294 Posts
just pulled trigger for this but i should have checked earlier, reading all the gyro problem you having making me feel uneasy and we still don't know the perm fix yet
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:40 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
well you got something right , i did a quick test today ... not having much time , but I found out that when I give good amout of thottle , the plane pitches upwards , like you noticed in the video.
that i can fix , maybe with different cog , motor angle or maybe a throttle/elevator mix.

also i found out like extraline says , if P or R is off , just wait .. and it will correct itself to 0.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
well you got something right , i did a quick test today ... not having much time , but I found out that when I give good amout of thottle , the plane pitches upwards , like you noticed in the video.
that i can fix , maybe with different cog , motor angle or maybe a throttle/elevator mix.

also i found out like extraline says , if P or R is off , just wait .. and it will correct itself to 0.
Glad to hear that, because it means that the unit is still promising!

FWIT I am building my 4th Bixler now and I always decrease the amt of downthrust *some* I cant measure but it always looked to have way too much downthrust to me... I had an old dynam hawk sky modded up and that had a bunch of upthrust and worked very well also...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:47 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
ya the bixler has the motor mounted with an upwards angle ... do you know if I should give it more up angle , or more down angle? to counteract the up pitch
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
just pulled trigger for this but i should have checked earlier, reading all the gyro problem you having making me feel uneasy and we still don't know the perm fix yet
I believe these units are good. There are probably some firmware stuff that will get better, but other than being very sensitive to CofG and trims they do work... using it in the constraints it was designed for. A OH SHI# I LOST MY VIDEO rth mode with using a failsafe, and the PA mode works excellent.

People have to remember these are not 300$ RVOSD's... but do 90% of the important stuff RVOSD does for less than half the cost.... I believe they are a great value. Nova nearly screwed the cyclops brand but I have a CE OSD 1.5 and never had any problems I love it... Still testing my storm and it is worked well so far once I have figured it out