The Dreamer
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
test mAh again.
i use medusa wattmeter a bulb.
i have a 3S Life battery in home so i use it.
but i tested only 404mAh.
tomorrow i will test more
Excellent. I also do this test and get the same accurate results.

Suggestion. The problem is when the FPV model is powered from a single Lipo. The FPV gear, RC Rx, Vtx, OSD and GPS all have steady state amp draw mA.

So..when reset switch is push the Amp, and mAh are reset to 0 amp. Then when the model is flying only the motor Amp and mAh is shown on the OSD.

Suggestion, Reset only the mAh = 0 mAh. Do not reset the Amp. Then the FPV gear + motor will be measured as mAh. That is, the total of the model mAh will be measured. Motor Amp + FPV gear mA.

Just an idea for consideration.
Pisces is offline Find More Posts by Pisces
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,104 Posts
On the Nova I used two batteries, and on the bench it was ok .. osd show 200mAh / wattmeter show 198mAh.

But when I go fly , then it was completely wrong.

After maybe a 15min flight , then OSD would show 1400mAh , and I charged back over 2000mAh.
octane81 is online now Find More Posts by octane81
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2005
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
On the Nova I used two batteries, and on the bench it was ok .. osd show 200mAh / wattmeter show 198mAh.

But when I go fly , then it was completely wrong.

After maybe a 15min flight , then OSD would show 1400mAh , and I charged back over 2000mAh.
charge back not the same as used, because balancer will discharge when you charge ur battery
extraline is offline Find More Posts by extraline
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2005
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Excellent. I also do this test and get the same accurate results.

Suggestion. The problem is when the FPV model is powered from a single Lipo. The FPV gear, RC Rx, Vtx, OSD and GPS all have steady state amp draw mA.

So..when reset switch is push the Amp, and mAh are reset to 0 amp. Then when the model is flying only the motor Amp and mAh is shown on the OSD.

Suggestion, Reset only the mAh = 0 mAh. Do not reset the Amp. Then the FPV gear + motor will be measured as mAh. That is, the total of the model mAh will be measured. Motor Amp + FPV gear mA.

Just an idea for consideration.
yes you r right. Video system cost more mAh.
but i think mAh is not important, you can check Voltage
extraline is offline Find More Posts by extraline
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,095 Posts
Yang,
I can't tell you how much it means to have your active participation in this thread. Hopefully you will continue to stay tuned in, unlike the Nova. I said in an earlier post that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Storm if a company rep were actively participating, and based on what I'm seeing from you a will be placing an order. I am waiting for the new firmware to be released.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:36 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
charge back not the same as used, because balancer will discharge when you charge ur battery
yes i agree , but i think you will also agree that even if you balance charge the battery after a 15min flight , it will not add 700mAh just because of balance charge.
OSD show 2087mah - over 2786mah charged.

And video gear ++ will not use many mAh for 15min flight.

I think you will agree?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:14 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,095 Posts
Quote:
yes i agree , but i think you will also agree that even if you balance charge the battery after a 15min flight , it will not add 700mAh just because of balance charge.
OSD show 2087mah - over 2786mah charged.

And video gear ++ will not use many mAh for 15min flight.

I think you will agree?
Octane, do you have a watt meter you can use? Of not, try a fast charge without balancing. I use an FMA charger that charges through the balance leads only, and never discharges. Its mAh is very accurate.

Yang,
If you want this issue to go away forever, just add a multiplier function in the firmware so users can adjust anyway they want. Nobody can complain then, they just have to keep adjusting the multiplier to their satisfaction.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:08 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Octane, do you have a watt meter you can use? Of not, try a fast charge without balancing. I use an FMA charger that charges through the balance leads only, and never discharges. Its mAh is very accurate.
Yes I have a wattmeter , but i cannot put that on the plane while flying.
Good idea , i will try fast charge . I use iCharger 208b , also a good quality charger.
I will also put in brand new batteries , because I noticed the voltage dropped very fast during my test, from 12.5v to 11.3v right away when I throttled up.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
you can use 2S lipo for OSD, but your camera and video transmitter need 12V
Thanks. I'm sure that my vtx (5,8ghz 200mW) and my cam work with 2s because I had use on another model without OSD. Yesterday I try with an 2s everything turn on (osd, cam and vtx) but Cyclops freezing at boot. Why? Probably osd not powered GPS?
spleen is offline Find More Posts by spleen
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:05 AM
Germany
Joined Feb 2007
126 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have a wattmeter , but i cannot put that on the plane while flying.
Good idea , i will try fast charge . I use iCharger 208b , also a good quality charger.
I will also put in brand new batteries , because I noticed the voltage dropped very fast during my test, from 12.5v to 11.3v right away when I throttled up.
Hi Oktane81,
may you can use the powerlog wattmeter (and it does a lot of more)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...atalogger.html

The wight is just 30g or so. Should be fine to flys with your bird.
gregor4711 is offline Find More Posts by gregor4711
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
The Dreamer
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
830 Posts
Quote:
yes you r right. Video system cost more mAh.
but i think mAh is not important, you can check Voltage
Hi Extraline,

Thank you for your comment. I fly glider for FPV. The motor run time is short and the flight time is long. I also fly slope soarer FPV. I often have a flight time of 1 hour. I use a single flight battery lipo in the glider to save weight. My FPV gear consumes about 500 mA.

So for my suggestion. Only reset the mAh = 0. Then the FPV gear mA will be included and measured as FPV mAh + the motor mAh

At OSD turn on the flight pack V and Amp will show the true reading Amp. This is a good check on mA that all the FPV gear is working normally. Then press reset and mAh will be reset = 0. This way the mAh count up FPV gear + motor run Amp.. The total Lipo mAh will be measured.

I also think other manufacturer of OSD only reset mAh = 0. They do not reset Amp.

Gliders are common for FPV models.
Pisces is offline Find More Posts by Pisces
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:40 AM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,425 Posts
I also use a glider for FPV.

To me the mah issue is not so important. I go by the battery voltage. There is so much information to take in, process, navigate and make all the normal flight decisions that I don't even consider the mah reading. It's "fluff" information to me.

Now that we are seeing some factory participation I feel much better about ordering a Storm. (Even thou my Nova never did work 100%, maybe I can get a trade in??)
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:35 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
649 Posts
Cyclops programmer

Since the programmer always seems to be out of stock, does anyone know if another programmer can be made to work?
I have a TinyUSB ICP, a USB->TTL ICP, and an FTDI board....can any of these be made to work? is a compatible programmer available elsewhere (ie EBay)?
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:04 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barn-e-stormer View Post
i also use a glider for fpv.

To me the mah issue is not so important. I go by the battery voltage. There is so much information to take in, process, navigate and make all the normal flight decisions that i don't even consider the mah reading. It's "fluff" information to me.

Now that we are seeing some factory participation i feel much better about ordering a storm. (even thou my nova never did work 100%, maybe i can get a trade in??)
+1...
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,425 Posts
I don't see the Storm on FoxTech site anymore???

Who else sells it?
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer