HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:25 PM
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Could be the batteries. Even 250 batteries have to be in good shape to run a mustang motor.

Off brand, old or 12C batteries won't cut it
Thanks for the input. The 250 battery is a fairly new E-flite from a Mosquito. Checks out at 4.10 volts. Even at 10C this should be capable of putting out 2.5 amps - way below the max of 1.6 that, I understand, is the max draw of the P-51.
But I will also try some other batteries
alset is offline Find More Posts by alset
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:12 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
i modified one of these: http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...ct_no_1=10652Y
and installed a 6400 receiver, mustang motor and gearbox, a gws 5043 prop, and a hyperion 180mah cell. it flies GREAT with this setup, all up weight is around 25 grams but it has much more thrust than that. the plane normally comes with a 6mm motor like the kyosho cessna came with, so its like going from a 4-banger to a full V8
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:27 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alset View Post
Thanks for the input. The 250 battery is a fairly new E-flite from a Mosquito. Checks out at 4.10 volts. Even at 10C this should be capable of putting out 2.5 amps - way below the max of 1.6 that, I understand, is the max draw of the P-51.
But I will also try some other batteries
All of my mosquito and MCX tandem E flite 250's are long dead (all 8 of them? good thing I got them cheap).

Even when they were new, Hyperion 240's would flat kick the crap out of them. The Mosquito was a whole new plane with the hyperions.

The HK Nanotech 160's aren't anywhere near as good as hyperions, but for a single mustang motor in a micro plane, they work fine and give 8 minutes of spirited flight.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:21 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The HK Nanotech 160's aren't anywhere near as good as hyperions, but for a single mustang motor in a micro plane, they work fine and give 8 minutes of spirited flight.
My experience too, 8-10 minutes in a champ with the sukhoi/mustang motor...
Older or smaller batteries cuts out like described earlier.
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alset View Post
Hmm... I bought a Champ fuselage with electronics and swapped the brick out for a 6400. I then put the Champ brick into a scratch built with a P-51 motor. I am using a 250mAh battery. What happens is the the motor cuts out even at half throttle, and sometimes won't restart. I've tried different p-51 motors. Same result. Can I assume that the brick is bad? elevator and rudder work OK. Thanks for any advice.
Did exactly the same, took the champ gear and put it into a scratch built f-22, swapped the motor for a p51 and now it's having the same problems as you..still using the original batteries. have a friend who put a p51 motor in his champ and had no problems whatsoever.. scratching my head now..
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:44 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
Did exactly the same, took the champ gear and put it into a scratch built f-22, swapped the motor for a p51 and now it's having the same problems as you..still using the original batteries. have a friend who put a p51 motor in his champ and had no problems whatsoever.. scratching my head now..
We all had this exact same problem almost 4 years ago when the Mustang first came out.

The Original AR6400 plane, the SU-26m had the same motor as the champ. When the next AR6400 plane, the P-51, came out, motors were sputtering, only lasting 20 seconds before shutting off, etc (even with batteries that flew the sukhoi for 8 minutes). Everyone blamed Horizon for giving us "defective" planes.

Turns out it was the batteries that we all had couldn't deliver enough C to keep up with the motors.

Brand new Nanotech 160's are the absolute minimum battery that will work with a Mustang motor. 6 Month old batteries or any new battery that isn't a Hyperion or Thunderpower or a REAL 20C or higher battery are going to choke on a mustang motor.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
Thanks for that..looks like i'll be buying some new batterys then...which is a shame as I have quite a few already...arghhh...
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:05 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that..looks like i'll be buying some new batterys then...which is a shame as I have quite a few already...arghhh...
I probably have 50, but i only use about 10 of them, because the other 40 are marginal.

The Miniaviation 190's would be good batteries to get in the UK.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
Quote:
If you have a Champ motor put it in your F22, it won't have as much power but your batteries will probably fly it.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
The original Champ motor had gone bad which is why I replaced it..thought i'd try the p51 but didn't realise it the extra power would come at a price..
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:30 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
For best power, get a Nine Eagles Bravo SX motor. Only catch, it comes with a different pinion and motor connector, but with a little handy work both things can be fixed. Combined with a decent 240 mAh battery I understand you can make it climb vertically.
Which planes come stock with this Bravo SX motor??

How does it compare with this NineEagles motor??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Motor_Set.html
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:40 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
Which planes come stock with this Bravo SX motor??

How does it compare with this NineEagles motor??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Motor_Set.html
No planes come stock with the Bravo SX motor. It's helicopter only, and the pinion needs changing.

The Nine Eagles motor plane motor is fine and has more power than the Champ motor, but isn't as powerful as the Bravo SX. It only needs a plug change, as the pinion is the same as HH plane motors.