HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:19 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
666 Posts
Discussion
Can I boost up my champs power

Im new to the hobby and love flying my micros,but when it is a little windy I will only fly my champ. I just wanted to know if I could safely put a motor from my t- 28 or polecat on the champ. I know the gear boxes are the same for all 3.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,705 Posts
For best power, get a Nine Eagles Bravo SX motor. Only catch, it comes with a different pinion and motor connector, but with a little handy work both things can be fixed. Combined with a decent 240 mAh battery I understand you can make it climb vertically.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
The champ and t 28 have the same motor. The polecat motor is stronger, 'cause its coreless.
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
666 Posts
But if I put a polecat motor in will it fry my receiver
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
But if I put a polecat motor in will it fry my receiver
The Polecat motor will do just fine in the champ. The Gearbox and prop are the same in both the Champ and Polecat.

Also use a lightweight and quality battery like a 160 mA Thunder Power or Hyperion cell.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
The champ and t 28 have the same motor. The polecat motor is stronger, 'cause its coreless.
The Champ also has a coreless motor. You are probably thinking of brushless, a type of motor that usually has more power than those with brushes. But you can't just connect a brushless motor to a speedcontroller for brushed motors. Brushless speed controllers have 3 wires between motor and speedcontroller, and works quite differently. You can't test a brushless motor with just connecting it with a battery, for instance, it can't run without it's dedicated speed controller.

The stronger motor will not burn your Champ brick. Quite a few pilots have been using stronger motors on a stock Champ without any issues. Sure, you can't fit any size motor, you can overload the brick, but with those 8 mm motors there is no risk.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:58 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
uhhhh, no. All of the HH 8.4mm and 6mm are "coreless".

The Polecat and T-28 motors are identical spec (black bell), only the wire length is different. The Champ motor is Weaker (translucent white bell) and is the same spec as the orignal Sukhoi.

This higher powered motor is known as the "Mustang Motor" because the Mustang was the first application of the Black Belled motor.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
666 Posts
Thanks for all the tips, now is it worth doing?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
A mustang motor will swap in with no mods. It will give better performance, but needs better batteries to make full thrust. Batteries that may work OK with the champ motor can choke on the Mustang motor.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,953 Posts
Quote:
For people who think the Champ is just fine the way it is, no it's probably not worth doing.
For people who would like more power ( such as yourself) then yes it's probably worth doing.
But why stop there, if you go for a stronger motor you might as well get some quality batteries and even a GWS 5043 prop to try.
TODD

Yep I got some slow fingers. ^^^^^
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; Aug 27, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:30 AM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,210 Posts
My little Champ is beefed up with the Mustang motor and the 5043 prop and I have one of Jin's floats and boy does she "hop" in the air. I can do loops with her and some real funny barrel rolls. The Mustang motor greatly improves the flight envelope of the Champ.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:21 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
I have one Champ with the original motor and one with the Mustang-motor. My 11-year old son always call dibs on the one with the Mustang-motor, he claims that the other one is no fun in comparison

He loves to hand launch it vertically:
Felix (1 min 38 sec)

(This one is not one he's particularly proud of, was to windy, but thr only one I have on video )
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
A mustang motor will swap in with no mods. It will give better performance, but needs better batteries to make full thrust. Batteries that may work OK with the champ motor can choke on the Mustang motor.
Hmm... I bought a Champ fuselage with electronics and swapped the brick out for a 6400. I then put the Champ brick into a scratch built with a P-51 motor. I am using a 250mAh battery. What happens is the the motor cuts out even at half throttle, and sometimes won't restart. I've tried different p-51 motors. Same result. Can I assume that the brick is bad? elevator and rudder work OK. Thanks for any advice.
alset is offline Find More Posts by alset
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alset View Post
Hmm... I bought a Champ fuselage with electronics and swapped the brick out for a 6400. I then put the Champ brick into a scratch built with a P-51 motor. I am using a 250mAh battery. What happens is the the motor cuts out even at half throttle, and sometimes won't restart. I've tried different p-51 motors. Same result. Can I assume that the brick is bad? elevator and rudder work OK. Thanks for any advice.
Well I just now plugged the Champ motor into the Champ brick and it works fine - no cutting out. My assumption is that the brick can't handle the 1.6 amps the P-51 needs - or the brick doesn't meet specs, but can just handle the Champ motor.
alset is offline Find More Posts by alset
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:10 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alset View Post
Well I just now plugged the Champ motor into the Champ brick and it works fine - no cutting out. My assumption is that the brick can't handle the 1.6 amps the P-51 needs - or the brick doesn't meet specs, but can just handle the Champ motor.
Could be the batteries. Even 250 batteries have to be in good shape to run a mustang motor.

Off brand, old or 12C batteries won't cut it