HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by dome78, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:19 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
Discussion
Leading edge slats

I added fixed slats to my Fun Cub. The goal was to reduce stall speed. I took used about an inch wide wet balsa that I wrapped around the wing to let it dry to form. Then I added little posts to get a proper distance to the wing. The leading gap is about twice as big the aft outlet.

I don't have a degree in aeronautics - just playing with an aging air frame. I did notice a higher angle of attack. Due to the wind conditions however, I could not tell if the stall is now induced later. I will report back in the comments.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Last edited by dome78; Sep 08, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Clarified process.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
More pictures of the slats

Some more detailed shots of my first attempts at slats. They actually seem to work. No drastic changes in flight characteristics though. Goes a bit slower now and higher AOA.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Last edited by dome78; Sep 08, 2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added details.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:39 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Very, very cool!!! Looking forward to more of your results. I had a similar project in mind for either a CH 701 or a STOL super cub. I was wondering if the slats would be effective at our scale. I would like similar performance to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HVimgxRVM08

Awesome project! Keep us updated!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:14 AM
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
4,009 Posts
Alright, guess you seen I was going to do this mod also. does it work? what did you use for the stand offs? How , or what's the best way to fasten them? I know that I need to form them to the wing, but how thick do I need to make them? Robin suggested 3/16 thick sanded to air foil shape. Any info to add??

Thanks, Gabe
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sport Cub S