HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:39 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Jfetter, I'm going to pick mine up friday.

Are you going to run 6s or 8s? Also what motor are you planning to run?
I'm going to run the stock, recommended Hacker A60-5XS on 6S, I want to see how it performs per Seba's recommended setup. I subscribe to both "stock" and "hopped up" philosophies but usually wait to see if the stock option isn't adequate before going all "Tim Allen" on stuff...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
About a cockpit set (instrument panel, pilot and head rest) for Mythos 125E I think one can buy the cockpit set for Sebart Wind S 50E (I have it in my Wind S 50E), it seems to be about right in seize/scale even if Mythos 125E cockpit probably is slightly bigger.

No big cost for those that want to have it, according to Sebart price list it cost for Wind S 50E:

Sebart partnumber W50-11, cockpit + pilot + decal panel, 18 Euro / US $22.50
I took som photos, see below, of my Wind S 50E cockpit set and some measurements so You can compare and see if it is usable in a Mythos 125E cockpit also. The extra weight for the pilot inside canopy is not much.
I think they use in the pictures in above link the same pilot figure as Wind S Pro but that woman pilot is expensive (Partnumber W140-11, PILOT woman, 37 Euro / US $46).
Would it help you for me to put both my WindS 50e and MythoS 125e canopies next to each other and take a picture for you?

Jack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:45 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymacy View Post
F3AUnlimited.com's advertisement shows the Hacker 6X while the posted manual references the 5X. Looks like SebArt changed their minds but to what? Which is the most recent recommendation? Does someone on this list know Sebastiano and will ask him?
The Hacker A60-6XS is absolutely not suited for 6S, that would be an 8S option. IMO they are offering you an 8S configuration while Seba seems pretty clear about the 6S Hacker A60-5SX setup. The kV on the 6XS will simply not fly this plane on 6S...

Jack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:48 AM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
124 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
If one want to have the options open to test first 6 cell and if they do not perform enough then test with 8 cell - what motor, A60-5XS V2 or A60-6XS V2, should then be installed from beginning? One probably need high quality LiPo that can deliver good performance over time and cope with many cycles if 6 cell is selected. Imagine a 6 cell pack that start to be "tired", can not be that good performance then on such large plane. That´is perhaps a godo reason to use 8 cell since then perhaps slightly less performance over time from the LiPo can be OK anyway.

/Bo
Yep, that is the big question with this in betweener size plane. Probably just bite the bullet and at the risk of a little more weight but NEVER any doubt about adequate batteries/power or putting too much strain on them, just use an 8 or 10 cell setup right from the start and learn to fly the plane with plenty of power and slightly higher wingloading right from the start. Maybe even think longer term down the road and just order the HiMax motor and run 10cell from the start. I think it's going to depend on your flying style. I am not a good (OK editing that as my RC friends reading this are probably going to get on me for that one for some reason so I'll say I'm a pretty good flyer at a 'club' level but not as a competition flyer - there, better? ;-)) flyer so I want extra battery capacity so I can stay up longer and practice more, less time quickly landing and swapping out batteries...so that's one more reason why I've been leaning heavily towards a full 2m plane with higher wing area, it can absorb the extra battery weight better. But the looks of this plane are so cool and it's unfortunate that we have to wait a long time apparently before the full FAI size hits our shores. Later, out to fly!
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Last edited by luckymacy; Aug 29, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Aug 2006
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
The Hacker A60-6XS is absolutely not suited for 6S, that would be an 8S option. IMO they are offering you an 8S configuration while Seba seems pretty clear about the 6S Hacker A60-5SX setup. The kV on the 6XS will simply not fly this plane on 6S...

Jack
Hi Jack. This reminds me of religion and politics, people live in the same world but can easily see things very differently. Just kiddin'. Actually, IMHO Sebart is the very definition of unclear on the size motor and pack and a 6XS seems to fly this plane on a 6 cell just fine just based on the video. Your manual says 5XS but the 'japanese video' says 6XS and 6 cell pack and Sebarts website also now says 6XS. Which is 'right'?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:28 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
I notice Sebart recommend Hacker X110A ESC with Hacker A60-5XS V2 motor and 6 cell battery. You plan to use Jeti Spin 99 ESC I can see - do You think that Jeti Spin 99 will be enough considering it is good to have some margin up in how much current ESC can handle continously? Have You made some calulations how much current You expect with various props etc at full throttle? I would be surprised if Jeti Spin 99 ESC would not be enough and it is nice it can handle 8 cell also that Hacker X110A can not (max 6 cell on that).

/Bo
I am using the Spin 99 because I do not want a high power ESC hat is limited to 6S, that's just a purchase that won't be flexible in the future IMO. Yes, I think the Spin 99 will be more than fine, I've used these (this is my 5th one) for many years from 6S to 12S setups and I am anticipating around 100 amps static, absolute worste case, with an 18 x 10 APC prop @ 2,400 Watts. If I see anything else, I'll be surprised but clearly that static measurement will be substantially less in the air and I've seen the Jeti reliable handle 110A (static) all day long. I have been using these controllers long enough to have full faith in this option over the 110A Hacker option, plus again, the 6S limitation is just not future-proof, which is no guarantee ever but is at least more flexible...

Jack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Aug 2006
124 Posts
pic of the Mythos 125 fuse vs a Wind S Pro 2M fuse

Chris Moon of F3AUnlimited sent me this picture to show me that for all practical purposes there isn't really a meaningfull difference between the 125 and a 'full size' 2m plane. Hence, I am leaning towards the 125 now and will probabably just figure out a way to put the HiMax motor in it and fly 10 cell if after I see it in person soon I don't see a negative to that which would affect me. Maybe the landing gear area might need a little extra something for the slightly higher weight on a rough field? Hopefully I'll see one soon.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Yep, that is the big question with this in betweener size plane. Probably just bite the bullet and at the risk of a little more weight but NEVER any doubt about adequate batteries/power or putting too much strain on them, just use an 8 or 10 cell setup right from the start and learn to fly the plane with plenty of power and slightly higher wingloading right from the start. Maybe even think longer term down the road and just order the HiMax motor and run 10cell from the start. I think it's going to depend on your flying style. I am not a good (OK editing that as my RC friends reading this are probably going to get on me for that one for some reason so I'll say I'm a pretty good flyer at a 'club' level but not as a competition flyer - there, better? ;-)) flyer so I want extra battery capacity so I can stay up longer and practice more, less time quickly landing and swapping out batteries...so that's one more reason why I've been leaning heavily towards a full 2m plane with higher wing area, it can absorb the extra battery weight better. But the looks of this plane are so cool and it's unfortunate that we have to wait a long time apparently before the full FAI size hits our shores. Later, out to fly!
Agreed on all points except to do it now. IMO, I'd wait a week or so for the video and then decide. A 6S setup is conderably lighter and I have experience from Sebart's Sukhoi 29S 140e, which I built for 12S, tried on 10S and in the end those that did what Seba showed, flying it on a higher kV motor and 6S, had a much better flying plane. Yes, weight is a bigger issue for 3D (or should I say wing loading) but it has relevance here too...

Jack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:11 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jack. This reminds me of religion and politics, people live in the same world but can easily see things very differently. Just kiddin'. Actually, IMHO Sebart is the very definition of unclear on the size motor and pack and a 6XS seems to fly this plane on a 6 cell just fine just based on the video. Your manual says 5XS but the 'japanese video' says 6XS and 6 cell pack and Sebarts website also now says 6XS. Which is 'right'?
I am not seeing the different listings? The Sebart PDF manual from their web site still shows the 5XS, the Sebart web page for their 110 class planes still shows the 5XS and the graphic on the box of course shows the 5XS?

The 6XS has a kV of 370 while the 5XS is listed @ 420, this equates to 8,391 RPM or 9,526 RPM unloaded, with 10% voltage sag. Clearly both will actually fly the plane but IMO the 6XS is just setting you up for either a larger prop OR the ability to jump to 8S. I guess in the end the video will be the detemining factor. I can rationalize them changing motors IF the amperage ended up higher than they wanted, in that case with a larger prop it does make sense even @ 6S, so I'll take back my previous "won't fly the plane" comment, clearly inaccurate. But, I will stick with the 5XS as a more appropriate choice for 6S and the video will be the final judge...

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Aug 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,611 Posts
I too have found great success using 6s setups on larger aerobatic planes.

I flew 6s on my Seba Pitts Python 50e and in my 70" EF Extra. It all depends on your power combo and prop selection IMO...

While I know additional cells would have given me more punch, I never felt a lack of power with either of those. It is also a matter of economies as I can fly five of my aircraft on 6s 5000mAh batteries.

I cannot wait to see the performance though it will speak for itself
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:19 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Chris Moon of F3AUnlimited sent me this picture to show me that for all practical purposes there isn't really a meaningfull difference between the 125 and a 'full size' 2m plane. Hence, I am leaning towards the 125 now and will probabably just figure out a way to put the HiMax motor in it and fly 10 cell if after I see it in person soon I don't see a negative to that which would affect me. Maybe the landing gear area might need a little extra something for the slightly higher weight on a rough field? Hopefully I'll see one soon.
Wow, I would have thought you'd see a bigger difference? You'll have no issue with that motor except maybe length as the cowl is not adjustable (as many other Sebart planes are) and only mounts in the one position. This means anything extra will require cutting the motor box. Certainly doable though, I have a build thread on the AngelS 50e where I cut 10mm (I think) from the motor box to handle a Hacker A50 M versus the S series motor...

Jack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:19 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Any price on the full composite yet?

Jack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
SAB
United Kingdom, Inverclyde
Joined Jan 2007
36 Posts
Jack,

Nice build thread, it look great !

I've been following the Mythos 125 since it was 1st announced:
Originally the recommended power set was Hacker A60-6XS and Spin 99 ESC on 6S 5000mA turning an APCe 21x14 - 22x10 !!
Next iteration was same A60-6XS but with the Hacker X-110 ESC, same battery and the prop recommendation changed to APCe 19x12 - 20x10
Now we have the Hacker A60-5XS, Hacker X110 ESC & APCe 18x8 recommendation.
Higher Kv motor, lower prop load so should be OK - I wonder if there is a ground clearance issue with the 20" and above props ??

I look forward to the flight report.

Steve
SAB is online now Find More Posts by SAB
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
Jack,

Nice build thread, it look great !

I've been following the Mythos 125 since it was 1st announced:
Originally the recommended power set was Hacker A60-6XS and Spin 99 ESC on 6S 5000mA turning an APCe 21x14 - 22x10 !!
Next iteration was same A60-6XS but with the Hacker X-110 ESC, same battery and the prop recommendation changed to APCe 19x12 - 20x10
Now we have the Hacker A60-5XS, Hacker X110 ESC & APCe 18x8 recommendation.
Higher Kv motor, lower prop load so should be OK - I wonder if there is a ground clearance issue with the 20" and above props ??

I look forward to the flight report.

Steve
No chance on it being a clearance issue IMO. I'll tap a 20" prop on tonight and take pictures. I don't have the motor in yet but it will still be sufficient...

Jack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:34 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Would it help you for me to put both my WindS 50e and MythoS 125e canopies next to each other and take a picture for you?

Jack
Hi,
That would be nice just as comparison and maybe other people are interested also to see if Wind S 50E cockpit set would fit OK in Mythos 25E cockpit.
It is nice to have something nice there in the cockpit, at least I like that.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee