SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:10 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo9000 View Post
I didn't find it needed any - it tracks perfectly straight without. There may be other ways but I flight test this establishing 45 degree upline and then putting into continuous right roll (and repeat for left). If it keeps straight all is fine, if he heads to right or left adjust diffferntial till it stays straight.
Agreed, no differential. IMO this is really only necessary on surfaces with skinned hinges (to offset the difference in deflection surface, top-to-bottom)...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:13 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,513 Posts
Still a fan of the 5XS setup on 6S 6,600 mAh...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:03 PM
SAB
United Kingdom, Inverclyde
Joined Jan 2007
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo9000 View Post
Tracks best for me with CofG about 1cm in front of recommended. Have flown P in practice and it is coming home with 25% plus on 4600 G3's.

Challenge now is to get it on a bit of a diet as in this configuration it is over 5kg . .
Gibbo,

Where did you put your rudder servo & where did your batteries end up along the battery tray ? - with a heavier motor & batteries just wondering if putting the rudder in the tail would be better - Mine has a Hacker A60-5S motor, over 100g heavier than the 6S XS motor and will run on 8S LiPo's - about 1000g - so I'm at least 300g heavier than a 6S set-up.

Thanks, Steve.
SAB is offline Find More Posts by SAB
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
gibbo9000:

How does it do on landings???? Does it want to stop flying fairly quick from the drag or is it a floater?

Patternflyer76 is offline Find More Posts by Patternflyer76
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB View Post
Where did you put your rudder servo & where did your batteries end up along the battery tray ? - with a heavier motor & batteries just wondering if putting the rudder in the tail would be better - Mine has a Hacker A60-5S motor, over 100g heavier than the 6S XS motor and will run on 8S LiPo's - about 1000g - so I'm at least 300g heavier than a 6S set-up.
Rudder servo is at the back - Silver Bullet is heavier than A60-6S and I am currently using APC prop and original spinner (albeit missing its nose for cooling) - so a bit heavier at front. With that batteries are sitting almost at the back of the available space - about 2cm forward of the wing screw down plate.
gibbo9000 is offline Find More Posts by gibbo9000
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
I have just jumped back into F3A Pattern after last flying Masters in AMA in 1993. 2M were not around then. The Mythos is my first plane back into it and I notice that it wants to stop flying very quick on landing compared to the old planes of that time that would come in like a rocket and float forever. It is balanced on the aft side of the recommended CG. I am not getting static instability so I know it is not nose heavy. I believe it is the drag and I will just have to get use to short approaches. I have a Hacker A60 6xs v2, 19x10 APCe, 110A ESC, and 6s5000mah Lipo.... Weight at 4210g all up.... It flies at a very constant speed. I have a high idle set as well to keep air moving over the CS's for stall turns and others. I thought that maybe the prop was causing it to stop on landing as well. ESC set for no brake off. Checked it too. Just interested if anyone else has experienced this on landing...

I plan on going to the Green Sea SC contest in April 2013 to get back into the contest scene.

Kevin Clark
Patternflyer76 is offline Find More Posts by Patternflyer76
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patternflyer76 View Post
gibbo9000:
How does it do on landings???? Does it want to stop flying fairly quick from the drag or is it a floater?
Relative to most pattern planes it doesn't float, provided you slow it down reasonably. So quite a lot of drag, but not a high wing loading. I fly with brake enabled, so no problems landing on short strip in no wind!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Still a fan of the 5XS setup on 6S 6,600 mAh...
Jack
Hi Jack - no debate from me it is a great on 6s and that would be ideal for most - those I know down here in Oz flying it that way love it, and if there is no need to fly full competitive pattern that is what I would recommend.

I hope I have made my specific interest clear - at its price this must be in teh ramks of the lowest cost, highly competitive F3A model available (not just an F3A trainer), and if there is an 8 or 10s setup based on the 'mid cost' motors that gives full F3A performance (flight characteristics and duration) and stays under 5kg then it is real option for many who can't afford cost x2 or 3 for other options. And that is great for the Hobby! I already prefer it to my Oxai Infinity's even if it is a little overweight!

Gibbo
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:12 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,206 Posts
Hi,

For those that want to run MythoS 125E on 8 cells it is a new Hacker motor now that should be fine - A60-7XS V2 28-Pole

http://www.hacker-motor-shop.com/e-v...&t=3&c=32&p=32

Hacker list it as "The power motor for light weight F3A/F3D machines like the Sebart MythoS 125 with 8S Lipo."

I'm so tempted now - I have also found a reseller that has 10% discount and free shipping on MythoS 125E from today until Dec 24.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Mar 2008
79 Posts
I wonder if the Hacker 7XS motor would perform okay with a 7s 5000mah 45c lipo?
Any thoughts?

thx
Dave
DLEVETT is online now Find More Posts by DLEVETT
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2007
35 Posts
For anyone that is still on the fence about how the MythoS 125e flies (reports have been good so far as I can tell), I will report this.

Today I was at a field flying my MythoS 125e, and Chip Hyde was also there flying. He had heard of the MythoS 125e (but had yet to fly one), but had previously flown and helped a guy set-up a MythoS "Pro" (the larger composite version).

So we set-up a different model in the transmitter, Chip made some adjustments to the D/R's and expos to suit his tastes, and took the model up for a spin. He said he was pleasantly surprised with aerodynamic properties of the model, said it flew exceptionally well, and it would be truly competitive up through the Advanced / Masters classes. More power would be needed for FAI he said, but for guys like me flying in the lower classes, the model is not going to be the limiting factor

I'm running the -6XS motor on 7S 5000mah (have a bunch of the packs from running 14S powered helis, which is why I chose the motor), with a 19X10 APC. The log shows max amps recorded during flight @ 86, and max watts recorded @ 2057 (I think the motor is rated @ 2000 watts), so the power system looks to be "happy".

Chip helped me set the CG (I had the model slightly tail heavy), and it balances with the 7S 5000mah battery pack about an inch forward of the most aft possible mounting position. All good

Just thought I'd add the info to the conversation.

(-: Dave
ddahl is offline Find More Posts by ddahl
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,

For those that want to run MythoS 125E on 8 cells it is a new Hacker motor now that should be fine - A60-7XS V2 28-Pole

http://www.hacker-motor-shop.com/e-v...&t=3&c=32&p=32

Hacker list it as "The power motor for light weight F3A/F3D machines like the Sebart MythoS 125 with 8S Lipo."

I'm so tempted now - I have also found a reseller that has 10% discount and free shipping on MythoS 125E from today until Dec 24.

/Bo

Aww man! Why couldn't they have done that 3 months ago?

Seriously shirted off over this.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:31 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,206 Posts
Hi,

Ordered my MythosS 125E today with the 10% discount and free shipping. I got the last one they had in stock. I will probably never find one cheaper then that so I could not help myself any longer and pressed buy button.

Will order the Hacker A60-7XS motor also.
Now I have to think of best speed controller for 8 cell and this motor (and prop I will choose).
Hacker has a new MasterMezon series speed controllers that I will take a closer look at:
http://www.hacker-motor-shop.com/e-v...&c=5446&p=5446

I will use two 4 cell LiPo as a 8 cell battery pack, probably 5000-5200 mAh, since I have only a charger capable of 7 cells (Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 charger - 2 x 1S-7S, 20A max, 1000W), but my charger has dual output so I can charge two LiPo packs at once.

I have 4 Futaba BLS153 brushless digital servos laying here doing nothing so they will be for aileron and elevator. Probably Futaba BLS551 servo on rudder.

Perhaps I will invest in telemetry now since things start to be expensive to have in the air. I use old Futaba FASST radio (14MZ) so I can add a Futaba/Robbe external telemetry box if I want and buy the telemetry capable Futaba receiver R6308SBT:
http://www.robbe.de/rc-fernsteuerung...elemetrie.html

Although I would like to get a Sebart MythoS Pro it will simply be to expensive for me to get that today with all accessories needed for such 2 x 2 M plane. But the MythoS 125E will be close enough for me and fit my wallet.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Dec 20, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:59 PM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Hey guys, here's some video of the MythoS at the night fly last evening. It was a tad bit windy (12 - 16 MPH) from the offshore hurricane but that didn't stop a few from enjoying the evening anyway. Still tweaking the lighting controls for more versatility but overall it worked out great! ;-)

Enjoy!

Sebart MythoS Night Flying, Windows Media, High Definition, 146MB

Jack
hey Jack, it's been 2 months since this post. How's the plane doing and any more vid of night flying this setup? ;-)
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Apr 2007
35 Posts
I'm just checkin' in with a report on my MythoS 125E (not much happening on the forum...winter I guess). Might spark some discussion

I've been flying the model now for a month (about 50 flights), and all is well. I'm competent, however, I'm not a GREAT pilot, and have had some less than "greased-on" landings, and the model is holding up very well.

I'm running the -6XS motor on 7S 5000mah (have a bunch of the packs from running 14S powered helis, which is why I chose the lower kv motor vs. the -5XS as recommended). I started with a 19X10 APC, and have experimented with 19X12 APC and a 20X10 APC. In the end, I settled on the 19X12 APC for best balance of speed, vertical performance, amp draw and flight time.

I'm setting the timer for 7 minutes, and landing immediately after I hit the 7 minute mark. I'm traditionally using on average 77-82% of the 5000mah battery, which is right on the mark for long battery life.

The model RTF is 4.8kg.

I'm a sportsman level pilot, and I enjoy flying the model very much knowing it's WAY more capable than I am. Lots of room to grow

(-: Dave Dahl
ddahl is offline Find More Posts by ddahl