Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,
Almost all I have spoken to about Sebart planes say thay are one of the best ARF's regarding quailty. They fly very good also. I have two Sebart planes myself, one smaller Angel S 30E and one larger Wind S 50E. Hard to be disapointed with any of them. The Mythos 125E looks to be very good and I would be surprised if it does not fly very good also. Hard to justify the pricegap up to the 2 x 2M Mythos that is also available soon unless one compete in F3A. Mythos 125E seems to be enough seize to be able to cope with more windy conditions that the slightly smaller planes like Wind S 50E can not handle so well (but OK).

If it will be able to fly with enough performance on 6 cell LiPo it will be a "hit" I think (lower cost). But I suspect 8 cell is more optimal for it.

/Bo
Well said, I agree on all points but I would like to fly the 6S setup before making any comment on 6S versus 8S.

I also would like to add a little something that speaks to the pricing (though you were comparing this plane to the full composite MythoS 2M) for those that are questioning the pricing of the new MythoS 125e versus say the older WindS 110e. These planes are NOT the same, they are only the same a size POV but the MythoS is much improved and some of the construction simply means more expense to manufacture. Take the cowl being glass and it's unique mounting system, or the T-canalizer with it's unique integrated design where it is easily removable to get to the electronics and of course for shipping ease. Consider the curved leading edge on both the wings and stabs, this alone accounts for a considerable cost increase, both in the construction and finishing (slows finishing as compound curves are now being covered). The gear is also of higher quality, painted epoxy with molded wheel pants, everything about this plane screams quality. Having owned both of these planes, this one is a big step up (in fit and finish and overall details) over the WindS 110 and IMO, Sebart has raised the bar again on ARF quality on this one...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:35 PM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
I've been waiting for this one for some time, what a beautiful plane! I've been a Sebart addict for years now, this will be my 8th now and they just keep getting better. I've really wanted to get another 2M pattern plane ever since my C-ARF Impact went in @ SEFF 2011 but the prices seem to be getting higher all the time. This plane is close to 2M in size but the few extra inches Sebart has trimmed off, translates into a much cheaper option while still having the flying characteristics I want. The MythoS is a new entry for 2012/2013, built for electric and finished in a newer variation of his familiar color scheme, this one should really look great in the air. The T-Canilizer (or whatever they are calling this mini wing) is something I am not sold on but it looks darn sexy the way they've faired it into the fuse. Will it matter, for me likely no but I am willing to wait and see.

To start with, here are the spec's, most of the components weighed right out of the box, some of the electronics spec'ed from the vendors web site;

From Measured Weights
---------------------
Fuse 32.3 oz.
Cowl 4.4 oz.
Canopy 5.0 oz.
T. Canalizer 2.6 oz.
R Wing 13.4 oz.
L Wing 13.3 oz.
R Stab 3.8 oz.
L Stab 3.7 oz.
Rudder 1.9 oz.
Gear 4.4 oz.
Pants 1.8 oz.
W Tube 2.5 oz.
S Tube 0.2 oz.
Spinner 2.2 oz.
Hardware 5.1 oz.

Total (plane) 96.6 oz. (6.038 lb.) (2,739g)

From Manufacturer Specs.
------------------------
Hacker A60-5XS 17.0 oz.
Hacker X-110A 3.0 oz.
Servos (5) 8.75 oz.
Extensions 2 oz.
6S 5000 LiPo 28 oz.
AR 9020 RX 0.75 oz.
APC 18" x 8"E 3.0 oz.

Grand Total 159.1 oz. (9.945 lb.) (4,510g)

I plan on using the power system as Sebart has spec'ed out on the box, I've found his planes to fly pretty well as configured by him and I'm really curious to see how this new Hacker A60-5XS runs on 6S with an 18" prop. I was tempted as maybe others will be, to do an 8S setup but I've already got a few 6S packs and it's nice to be able to use them in more than one plane. Move voltage, less amperage or vice-versa, in the end it's all about watts (though more voltage clearly has advantages). In the end I am as curious as anyone to see how well it fly's on 6S, it seems large (almost 10 lbs AUW) for 6S but I'm willing to try. Here are some pictures out-of-the box, enjoy...

Jack
You are doing a good job on the blog and this is a really sweet looking plane but I am curious why, with the price in the same ballpark as the full 2m Vanquish even with the motor why you chose this model. Besides I guess your statement you already had 6s batteries. But if you didn't already have the batteries, would you have still taken this smaller and more expensive plane over the Vanquish? I have to admit, if it was full size and same price, I'd be on it too. Great looking plane and I'm looking forward to the flight reports.

If you are using a separate battery for the receiver and servos, how are you doing it?
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymacy View Post
You are doing a good job on the blog and this is a really sweet looking plane but I am curious why, with the price in the same ballpark as the full 2m Vanquish even with the motor why you chose this model. Besides I guess your statement you already had 6s batteries. But if you didn't already have the batteries, would you have still taken this smaller and more expensive plane over the Vanquish? I have to admit, if it was full size and same price, I'd be on it too. Great looking plane and I'm looking forward to the flight reports.

If you are using a separate battery for the receiver and servos, how are you doing it?
Thanks for the complement! I personally like doing build threads and for me, it's all about pictures, pictures, pictures, that's what I look for, so I try and give as many as possible so folks can get a real feel for the construction, fit and finish and unique features. I also try and work neat and finish things off that way, including wiring and glue joints, etc, maybe part of it is showing off clean work too.

As to the comparison with the 2M Vanquish, that's a fair question and the planes are certainly similar but IMO the MythoS has a lot more sex appeal. With the curved leading edges on the wings and stabs, anhedral on the stabs, T-canalizer and more streamline looks (not to mention color scheme, no one beats Sebart in that respect IMO), for me the $175 - $200 is worth it.

Now you could argue nothing matters but the flight characteristics and you'd be mostly right but let's face it, people buy things from cars to houses (and everything in-between) with looks being a large part of it and many a product has been sold on aesthetic appeal alone. I am a big Sebart fan, have been for some time, this is my 8th one and I've never been disappointed, some of that plays into the decision.

For radio gear, I'm going to use a Spektrum 2S 2,000 mAh LiPo (made by Thunder Power) for the RX, through a Castle 20 Amp Pro voltage regulator @ 6V into a Spektrum 9010 DSMx RX. I prefer a higher voltage setup and while in the past I would have tapped right off the flight pack, this time I opted for a separate RX pack as I do with my jets, 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. ;-)

Jack
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:36 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,096 Posts
Hi,

Not that it matter, just curious, did it include anything more in cockpit set then the blue cockpit plastic bay? Instrument panel, pilot or so? Compare image of cockpit set below for Wind S Pro.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:34 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,

Not that it matter, just curious, did it include anything more in cockpit set then the blue cockpit plastic bay? Instrument panel, pilot or so? Compare image of cockpit set below for Wind S Pro.

/Bo
Just the blue tray, no pilot or instrument decals...

Jack
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Aug 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the complement! I personally like doing build threads and for me, it's all about pictures, pictures, pictures, that's what I look for, so I try and give as many as possible so folks can get a real feel for the construction, fit and finish and unique features. I also try and work neat and finish things off that way, including wiring and glue joints, etc, maybe part of it is showing off clean work too.

As to the comparison with the 2M Vanquish, that's a fair question and the planes are certainly similar but IMO the MythoS has a lot more sex appeal. With the curved leading edges on the wings and stabs, anhedral on the stabs, T-canalizer and more streamline looks (not to mention color scheme, no one beats Sebart in that respect IMO), for me the $175 - $200 is worth it.

Now you could argue nothing matters but the flight characteristics and you'd be mostly right but let's face it, people buy things from cars to houses (and everything in-between) with looks being a large part of it and many a product has been sold on aesthetic appeal alone. I am a big Sebart fan, have been for some time, this is my 8th one and I've never been disappointed, some of that plays into the decision.

For radio gear, I'm going to use a Spektrum 2S 2,000 mAh LiPo (made by Thunder Power) for the RX, through a Castle 20 Amp Pro voltage regulator @ 6V into a Spektrum 9010 DSMx RX. I prefer a higher voltage setup and while in the past I would have tapped right off the flight pack, this time I opted for a separate RX pack as I do with my jets, 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. ;-)

Jack
Alrighty then. Let's get this thing in the air and lets find out how it performs in the long vertical lines with snaps with your more motor and single 6s battery pack. What kind of flight time do you expect to get out of this anyway? BTW, would a Himax 6330-210 F3A motor fit this with no issue?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:
Alrighty then. Let's get this thing in the air and lets find out how it performs in the long vertical lines with snaps with your more motor and single 6s battery pack. What kind of flight time do you expect to get out of this anyway? BTW, would a Himax 6330-210 F3A motor fit this with no issue?
Heck yes! I am just waiting on the motor, which shipped today but I doubt I'll see it this week. I'm not very familair with the Himax but from the specs, it looks like it won't bolt right on (at least using the pre-drilled holes with blind nuts). I will say the 2,500 watt max rating is the same as the Hacker and again, it's about watts, not volts so 2,500 watts is 2,500 watts. I want to see it perform well on uplines but I do have reservations, we'll see. My Sebart WindS 50e does great on uplines with 6S, accelerates even so again, it's possible. Depending on the prop I end up using, I expect to get 6 minutes from a 5,000 mAh pack...

Jack
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Aug 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Heck yes! I am just waiting on the motor, which shipped today but I doubt I'll see it this week. I'm not very familair with the Himax but from the specs, it looks like it won't bolt right on (at least using the pre-drilled holes with blind nuts). I will say the 2,500 watt max rating is the same as the Hacker and again, it's about watts, not volts so 2,500 watts is 2,500 watts. I want to see it perform well on uplines but I do have reservations, we'll see. My Sebart WindS 50e does great on uplines with 6S, accelerates even so again, it's possible. Depending on the prop I end up using, I expect to get 6 minutes from a 5,000 mAh pack...

Jack
Hard to believe there are no pireps on this yet in english and any other videos except for the maiden flight of one from Japan, I guess it's Japan. Where's SebArts HD video of him flying it? If you have any links on this plane consider sticking 'em in the thread while you are waiting for the motor, that'd be helpful.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Quote:
Hard to believe there are no pireps on this yet in english and any other videos except for the maiden flight of one from Japan, I guess it's Japan. Where's SebArts HD video of him flying it? If you have any links on this plane consider sticking 'em in the thread while you are waiting for the motor, that'd be helpful.
I was thinking the same thing, Japan? I can only promise to get good video and of a pilot that can really fly, so if nothing else, there souldn't be any doubt about 6S being a viable option or not. Good idea on the links, I will start compiling...

Jack
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:36 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,153 Posts
Today I decided to get the rest done, or at least as much as I can. I mounted the Spektrum RX (I mounted it in the location for the pull-pull servo) and installed the Jeti Spin 99 ESC (under the motor box, with good airflow all around) and the Castle BEC Pro and then cleaned up the wires. I needed 3 x 36" servo extensions for the rudder and elevator servos and 2 x 6" extensions for the ailerons plus a single 18" for the ESC. Overall the install is clean and easy given the amount of room available and the removable T-canalizer really makes the RX mounting and access, very easy to get to. So now we wait for the motor, coming from Aero-Model ;-)

Jack
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:38 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,063 Posts
Jfetter, I'm going to pick mine up friday.

Are you going to run 6s or 8s? Also what motor are you planning to run?
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,096 Posts
Hi,

Curare - jfetter will try 6 cell and Hacker A60-5XS motor, it is written in above posts.

I noticed that Sebart has info now on their homepage in the 120 / 140 class section (not in F3A section that perhaps would be more logical to place it) - they say it's name is Mitho S 125E (I suppose they just misspelled).

http://www.sebart.it/120-140-class.html#mithos125anchor

But no manual, video etc yet for Mythos 125E on their homepage:
DOWNLOAD AS SOON AS READY:
Mitho S 125E ENGL. Intro to ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTION (.pdf file - 0,00 Kb)
Mitho S 125E ENGL. INSTRUCTION MANUAL (.pdf file - 0,00 Mb)

I see they have written wrong weight on their homepage ("Weight: 4.400g. RTF less battery") - the correct weight without battery should be (acording to Sebart 2012 "catalog") 8.04 lbs / 3.650 kg.

About a cockpit set (instrument panel, pilot and head rest) for Mythos 125E I think one can buy the cockpit set for Sebart Wind S 50E (I have it in my Wind S 50E), it seems to be about right in seize/scale even if Mythos 125E cockpit probably is slightly bigger.
No big cost for those that want to have it, according to Sebart price list it cost for Wind S 50E:
Sebart partnumber W50-11, cockpit + pilot + decal panel, 18 Euro / US $22.50
I took som photos, see below, of my Wind S 50E cockpit set and some measurements so You can compare and see if it is usable in a Mythos 125E cockpit also. The extra weight for the pilot inside canopy is not much.
I think they use in the pictures in above link the same pilot figure as Wind S Pro but that woman pilot is expensive (Partnumber W140-11, PILOT woman, 37 Euro / US $46).

jfetter:

I notice Sebart recommend Hacker X110A ESC with Hacker A60-5XS V2 motor and 6 cell battery. You plan to use Jeti Spin 99 ESC I can see - do You think that Jeti Spin 99 will be enough considering it is good to have some margin up in how much current ESC can handle continously? Have You made some calulations how much current You expect with various props etc at full throttle? I would be surprised if Jeti Spin 99 ESC would not be enough and it is nice it can handle 8 cell also that Hacker X110A can not (max 6 cell on that).

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Aug 29, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined Aug 2006
116 Posts
what are the pros and cons of the different engines?

F3AUnlimited.com's advertisement shows the Hacker 6X while the posted manual references the 5X. Looks like SebArt changed their minds but to what? Which is the most recent recommendation? Does someone on this list know Sebastiano and will ask him? It's obvious they are trying hard to market this as a lower operating cost plane because they keep stressing the single 6S pack as adequate so I infer they've had to change their motor recommendation to better match the prop that's needed to give the performance that acceptable so in my mind it's important to know. Sebart's website says 5XS but they also still supposedly have the weight wrong so it's not trusted info. The 5X turns faster per volt but is otherwise the same specs.

from Sebart's website,
Recomm. power set up:
Hacker A60-5XS V2
ESC: Hacker X110A
Battery: Li-Po 5.000-6S
Propeller: APC 18x8E
Weight: 4.400g. RTF less battery

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=652

Hacker A60-6XS V2
$189.99
Factory recommended motor for new Sebart Mythos 125
Peak Watts: 2500
kV(RPM/V):370
Diameter: 2.36 in
Length: 2.00in
Weight:17.00 oz
Shaft Diameter: 8.00mm
Shaft Diameter W/ GB mm
Idle Current: 1.80
Operating Current: 50A
Peak Current:100A
Resistance: 0.0150ohms
Poles: 28
Orientation: Out

5X
Peak Watts: 2500
kV(RPM/V):420
Diameter: 2.36 in
Length: 2.00in
Weight:17.00 oz
Shaft Diameter: 8.00mm
Shaft Diameter W/ GB mm
Idle Current: 2.40
Operating Current: 50A
Peak Current:100A
Resistance: 0.0120ohms
Poles: 28
Orientation: Out
and for the 5X and 6X this site recommends a much higher ESC than the what is going to be used here.
http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...Outrunner.aspx
http://www.aero-model.com/Hacker-Bru...Outrunner.aspx
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Mar 2008
29 Posts
Hi Jfetter.
First of all, thanks for the post.
I am waiting to see if this plane with 6S has plenty of power.
I compete with wind 110 on 8s and APC 18x10, 4.400 grms with batteries and for me it looks like the Mythos would need more power, so I am waiting your maiden flight to let as know how it flies. I have to say that I have a couple more planes for Sebart and setup recommendations always were perfectly right.

What surprise me is that if you go to 2012 catalog you find totally diffent specs for the plane.
http://sebart.it/img-photogallery/20...mages/19-U.JPG

Motos A60-6XS
propeller:19x12E or 20x12E

There is a video with this setup and look really powerfull.
SebArt MythoS 125E Maiden Flight (6 min 19 sec)

Once more thanks forthe post
rquinones is offline Find More Posts by rquinones
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,096 Posts
Hi,
If one want to have the options open to test first 6 cell and if they do not perform enough then test with 8 cell - what motor, A60-5XS V2 or A60-6XS V2, should then be installed from beginning? One probably need high quality LiPo that can deliver good performance over time and cope with many cycles if 6 cell is selected. Imagine a 6 cell pack that start to be "tired", can not be that good performance then on such large plane. That is perhaps a good reason to use 8 cell since then slightly less performance over time from the LiPo can be OK anyway?

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Aug 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM.