SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
yipee! No doubt you will tinker with it some more, but for now it is nice to hear the maiden was successful. Congratulations!
I never said successful, exactly...
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,479 Posts
Doh... please tell me she went home in one piece

I will wait Jack, but I am holding my breath!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Doh... please tell me she went home in one piece

I will wait Jack, but I am holding my breath!
I won't do that to you, the MythoS is fine! Just a little scare...

Jack
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
I won't do that to you, the MythoS is fine! Just a little scare...

Jack
Wait, what????? What'd I miss today????
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Mar 2008
29 Posts
Quote:
Rendering video now, should be up shortly after dinner. I won't ruin it, it's not exactly what I wanted for day one and it isn't enough to make a final determination on power because of... Like I said, I won't ruin the suspense... ;-)

Jack
Waitinh
rquinones is offline Find More Posts by rquinones
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
29 Posts
Could you get any data from esc?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
OK, for those waiting for video, here it is! But... today didn't go exactly as planned really. Normally I really work to get good video, flights by guys way better than me and skills that really show, I normally would never post a maiden (trim flight) except that I don't have much more to show today and I wanted to get something up after all this waiting.

Today we had an issue that we first thought was the ESC not synching up as the plane flew by and you could clearly hear it. So we landed, checked it all out and nothing was found wrong. The pilot flying the maiden noticed the prop was against one side of the spinner (not centered) and we discovered the prop nut had loosed some, which seemed to explain the issue well enough to fly again.

So back up for a second flight and not 30 seconds in, the ESC lost sync and then just quit. After getting the ESC home and looking at it, it wasn't burned up, it wasn't black nor showed any signs of being burnt but it did smell like it was burnt, at least inside. Likewise the Spin box showed no signal, clearly it's dead but in a way I haven't seen before, usually they smoke and burn up and there is no doubt what happened but this one looks fine on the outside.

So I'm not sure if it was over-amped or just had enough and its time was up, This ESC came from another plane, a 2M C-ARF Impact that went in a SEFF 2011, the ESC looked fine but that prop issue we thought occurred today was likely the ESC out of sync and obviously about to die, the sound was the same. So in the end, the video I really wanted to present, great flying and something that showed one way or another that 6S is perfect for this plane (or possibly not), will have to wait until Saturday afternoon with a new ESC installed...

Sebart MythoS 125e, Windows Media, High Definition, 151MB
Sebart MythoS 125e, Windows Media, Standard Definition, 26MB

Jack
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
Thanks Jack for giving it a shot today in those lame winds. Good thing you were not pulling your servo/rx voltage from your ESC, who knows for sure.

But it looked good throughout most of that first flight.
Last edited by luckymacy; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
29 Posts
Thanks for the video Jack, I am glad you could save the plane.
It look like going on rails. I think 6s has enough power, the question is how many mah does it need for a sequence.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
:thumbsup:

starting to feel comfortable with this order now.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
OK, about the battery questions (first, the issue of 6S). The pilot flying today is a world class pilot, I mean that, not just that he's good but he has competed and done shows all over the world and is sponsored by several companies. In his opinion, the plane has plenty of power, in his words "if it were mine, I'd be perfectly happy with the power". Now he flew pattern years ago so he can put this plane through its paces and likely would have today if not for the hardware issue. I don't want to try and make a definitive statement without seeing it first, so that's the first priority after another trim flight with the new ESC.

As to the second point regarding the battery, 5,000 mAh pack, is it enough? I think I can safely say that after today's flight (air) time of 3:30 (wheels up to wheels down) and 2,300 mAh used, that you can fly for a total of 6:04 minutes @ 80% of capacity (again, for a 5,000 mAh pack). Is this enough, not likely so IMO the 6S 6,600 mAh pack is probably the way to go. At only 8 ounces heavier, but with another 32% capacity (i.e. 1:57 minutes based on today's numbers, for a total of 8:01 @ 80% capacity) seems to be the perfect setup (for 6S). Those new 6,600 packs come tomorrow so Saturday we will get total flight time on both 5,000 and 6,600 mAh, though the math above is sound... ;-)

Jack
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBRUSKI65 View Post
I should be able to get some static motor numbers this afternoon.
With batteries at 31.2v
69.8 amps
2100 watts
What prop are you using?

Jack
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
Quote:
So I'm not sure if it was over-amped or just had enough and its time was up, This ESC came from another plane, a 2M C-ARF Impact that went in a SEFF 2011, the ESC looked fine but that prop issue we thought occurred today was likely the ESC out of sync and obviously about to die, the sound was the same. So in the end, the video I really wanted to present, great flying and something that showed one way or another that 6S is perfect for this plane (or possibly not), will have to wait until Saturday afternoon with a new ESC installed...

Jack
Did you previously post how many amps and rpms you were getting? Are you gong to use a higher rated ESC next time for more headroom?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:27 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymacy View Post
Did you previously post how many amps and rpms you were getting? Are you gong to use a higher rated ESC next time for more headroom?
I did post the amps, watts and RPM's and I am still of the opinion the Spin did not give out due to excessive amperage. Typically they shut down due to overheating or simply burn up, this seems like a different kind of failure as indicated by the sync issue a few times during the flight. However... I'm not an idiot either or willing to tempt fate twice! The plan is to put a Castle HV 120 in to replace the Spin 99... ;-)

Jack
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:28 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
It would be interesting to compare performance with the 6S 660mA.hr packs and perhaps 8S 4500mA.hr packs
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle