Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,083 Posts
Discussion
[LOST] My Dynam Hawk Sky Flew Away from Me

I was flying my hawk sky today in about 10Km/h wind condtions. Took off into the wind and elevated to 100 feet. Banked it to the left and let the wind do its stuff. When it was about 200 m away i started to turn but it got caught in a gust of wind and it got further away. At this distance I lost orientation - I though I was bringing it in towards me but it kept getting further and further away. I dont know if anyone has been through this before. The final moments were excruciating. I tried to do some inverted loops so I can figure out where it is heading but even this did not help. This has happened to me on the SIM as well. At certain distances I completely lose the sense of which direction the plane is (I always fly on the sim without using chase camera and keeping the ground in view which is pretty similar to actual flying). I am sure experts can offer a lot of advice and I look forward to hearing from you. I had atleast 20 flights with this one so this plane was not new to me.

rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,740 Posts
Welcome to the club. I spent 3 different evenings finding one that I got into this kind of mess with. It still flies great though. Hopefully this gets better as we get better. Go find it, fix it up and go again.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Yeeshhh. Sorry about that. Lost my champ to a 14 mph gust that way. Just came out of nowhere. It was 3mph winds all before and after that gust.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:31 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Yeeshhh. Sorry about that. Lost my champ to a 14 mph gust that way. Just came out of nowhere. It was 3mph winds all before and after that gust.
Well I was in control but just could not see which way the plane was heading. are there any special flip on telescoping lenses that can be helpful?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,083 Posts
One more mistake I made is I did not keep the plane upwind at all times.

WIND ->

I was doing this:
ME <=> PLANE

But should have been
PLANE <=> ME
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:40 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
523 Posts
When this happens next time, do a gentle turn to the left. If the plane goes left, it is going away. If it goes to the right, it is coming to you. Just don't panic..it will take a while to come back, fighting the wind.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:41 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
That happened to me about 3 months ago. But I was night flying and it got to a point where the plane was just a blob of light. Never did find it.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
I have flown off on the simulator to practice this type of situation. If you can see a dot you can tell orientation by the direction it takes when turning... Sometimes. Good practice though.
Besides having a spotter with binoculars this is about all you can do.

If you had a return tag as required by AMA then there is a chance you will get it back.
If not, happy hunting. Don't get discouraged. Once you graduate to war birds and 3D you will no longer have a problem overpowering the wind.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:47 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,202 Posts
It happens. I've a few close losses over the years.
Take the opportunity to learn from this event and to not let yourself get into the situation again.

If this were a FPV plane you would be crucified for almost killing people. Of course the RTH would of just brought it back.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback