HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,442 Posts
Question
What's wrong with my e-flite power 15?

After darting my e-flite power 15 a total of four times (!) it is finally exhibiting an issue and I am trying to figure out the underlying cause.

Symptom: Motor doesn't move freely. it seems like the magnets are rubbing. furthermore, if you put your fingers on the area where the bell meets the base of the motor and turn it by hand, you can clearly feel that the bell is not turning flushed with the base (i.e. it sticks slightly outside of the base).

What I have verified/replaced:
- So of course, the first thing I did is to replace the shaft which was bent.
- I verified the base and bell are clean inside and that there are no obstructions.
- All the magnets seems to be glued and secured correctly.
- Then I checked the bearings by sticking the bell with the shaft slightly in and turning. The back bearing turns nice and quiet so it seems to be good. The front bearing does make a clicking noise when spinning the shaft/bell in it. It is not severe or locked but of course it should not be making this noise and need replacing presumably.

My question are:
- Would a worn bearing cause the bell to rub the magnets and exhibit the bell issue described above?

- Could it be that the bell itself is damaged? Did that ever happen to anyone? When spinning the bell just slightly inserted into the bearing you can definitely see it is oscillating as oppose to turning nice and straight (I just don't know if it is the bearing or the Bell).

What do you think, try new bearings or is the motor toast? I mean If it is not the bearing I am assuming you can't just by a bell...

Thanks!
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:06 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
923 Posts
By "darting" I assume you mean something like a "one" point landing? Given a one point landing then, yes the bell can be "warped" or "bent out of shape" and yes, that can cause the problem(s) you are experiencing. It may be time for a new motor!

Michael
elecfryer is online now Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:58 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elecfryer View Post
By "darting" I assume you mean something like a "one" point landing? Given a one point landing then, yes the bell can be "warped" or "bent out of shape" and yes, that can cause the problem(s) you are experiencing. It may be time for a new motor!

Michael
Agreed:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_950kv.html
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
I doubt it's the bearings- even really bad bearings won't do that and from your description the bearings aren't that bad.

Likely it's the bell that's lopsided, and yep, that's one of those things that you can't fix.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,442 Posts
Thanks for the help and the recommendations. That Turnigy motor looks eerily familiar haha. Not wanting to wait for the shipping from HK, I ended up ordering the Power up 15 from Heads Up RC (another motor that is very similar to the Power 15). I am curious to see how it stacks up the e-flite one. Let there be no more lawn darts...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:44 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,165 Posts
Well my guess is that the shaft is bent - internally. Either way it is a sign that that motor has seen better days.

This is a GOOD opportunity for you to find out EXACTLY what is wrong. Since you are replacing the motor anyway - what have you got to lose by disassembling it?

Pull the shaft and place it on a flat surface and see if it will roll without either end wobbling or the center being out of round. If it wobbles - that is a good indication that it "might" be replaceable to make the motor work once again. I say might because the "bell" could also be out of round and warped and that as others have said is it if it is.

But all still is not lost! Salvage what you can. Bearings can be removed. Soak the "can" in a small container of Acetone - OUTSIDE - for a few hours. That should soften the resin or epoxy and allow you to remove all the magnets. No Acetone? Just use a heat gun (monokote) on the can for a few seconds to get it hot then drop it on the floor! LOL!! They are rare earth magnets! You say you have a loose canopy or hatch - not anymore!! LOL!! If the shaft is straight and rolls true save that - good replacement. Keep the "X" mount AND the screws from the base.

It all has a use and can save you some money later - if you want to take the trouble to save the parts that is.

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,442 Posts
Yes, the shaft was the very first thing I replaced, so it must be the bell. Good call on the magnets! Didn't think of that one and it is a good one... Can never have enough rare earth magnets...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Thanks for the help and the recommendations. That Turnigy motor looks eerily familiar haha. Not wanting to wait for the shipping from HK, I ended up ordering the Power up 15 from Heads Up RC (another motor that is very similar to the Power 15). I am curious to see how it stacks up the e-flite one. Let there be no more lawn darts...
I don't think this is the same size motor? Isn't it shorter? Also, I don't think it has the same bolt pattern?
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,442 Posts
They suppose to be very similar. it is a power 15 "clone" based on its description and what I know. The bolt pattern is almost the same (X mount 1mm smaller). It is ok if the dimensions are a little different. it is going to a new Plane (GWS Formosa II) so I will adjust the custom built ply mount and cowl as necessary. I suspect this one is less efficient, etc'. I benchmarked the power 15, and can do the same for this one, so it will be interesting to see the differences in the wattage, amp, and flying times.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:32 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post

thats why you should always look at whats offered from the USA warehouse.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

also, you don't really think Eflite "Makes" their motors do you?
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,338 Posts
Also see bigfoot 15

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m602-big...826-950kv.html
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:08 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I decided against the bigfoot because there are no replacement parts, including the bolt on prop adapter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
I decided against the bigfoot because there are no replacement parts, including the bolt on prop adapter.
I've never needed replacment parts for big foot motors.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:53 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I've never needed replacment parts for big foot motors.
well, I have over 30 planes now, and I've never had to replace motor parts for 90% of my planes as well, but for the other 10% where I've dumb thumbed it somewhere and a prop adapter was needed, I was sure glad replacement parts were available.

I might be taking a long shot , but I'm sure we all dumb thumb now an then.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,338 Posts
I've crashed, but for whatever reason, I've been lucky. Might be the throttle kill switch I programmed. Replacement parts for a $90 motor might make sense, but for a $20 motor it doesn't seem to be as important.