HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Noofly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, CT
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
Gallery
Seagull Mini Nemesis EP

I recently built and flew the Seagull Mini Nemesis EP carried by Horizon Hobby here in the US. I must say I was impressed with the quality of the ARF. There are a few things I thought could have been better but overall am pretty pleased.

Cons:
- First you need 5 servos - 2 for the elevator which means you need to mix channels or buy a Y reverser.
- I wanted to use some left over HS55 and had to widen the servo holes in the fuselage. Turns out only stringers hold the servos in place on the long sides so broke two of them. Minor fix but I guess I should have stuck to the suggested HS50 size.
- The battery hatch does not go all the way under the cowl so there is a gap between it and the cowl. See pics below.
- Instructions called for wheel axles to be cut to size. Why not just cut them at the factory since the wheels a provided. I guess it is to accommodate large wheel options. I left the axels as they are, they probably would have fit under the wheel pants as it. I also left off the wheel pants since I fly of grass.
- The spinner wouldn't allow enough threads for the prop adapter nut so I used a Tru-Turn spinner which fit and looks awesome. If you haven't used a Tru-Turn spinner check them out at: http://www.tru-turn.com/

Plus:
- Pretty straight forward and quick build for an ARF.
- Flies great.
- Very quick.
- CG in the instructions was bang on.

Flying:
- She needs speed and loves to snap. She snapped out of loops and even hammerhead turns if too slow.
- If you love to snap roll she is the plane to have.
- Have to keep up a little speed to land her. A little fast for her size.
- She will do inverted pretty well.
- I wasn't able to knife edge her very well.

Summary:
All in all a really nice flying airplane once you get used to her. One of my favorite at the field.

Check out the pics !
Noofly is offline Find More Posts by Noofly
Last edited by Noofly; Aug 25, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Mar 2008
31 Posts
Hi Noofly

Congrats on your Mini Nemesis maiden and flying.

I am thinking of getting one ahead of my building G ride or G300 of Stevens aero as an aerobatic sport plane. Your info havee convinced me more than enough to get one.

From your image and notes, , you have used HS 55 instead of HS50. Since the covering had already done, did you reinforce the servo tray from inside the frame for HS 55? If yes, how do you do it. Would be grateful for that information, as I have spare HS 55s lying around also.

What Motor, ESC, battery and prop did you used?

Regards
Laythuye
laythuye is offline Find More Posts by laythuye
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Mar 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noofly View Post
I recently built and flew the Seagull Mini Nemesis EP carried by Horizon Hobby here in the US. I must say I was impressed with the quality of the ARF. There are a few things I thought could have been better but overall am pretty pleased.

Cons:
- First you need 5 servos - 2 for the elevator which means you need to mix channels or buy a Y reverser.
- I wanted to use some left over HS55 and had to widen the servo holes in the fuselage. Turns out only stringers hold the servos in place on the long sides so broke two of them. Minor fix but I guess I should have stuck to the suggested HS50 size.
- The battery hatch does not go all the way under the cowl so there is a gap between it and the cowl. See pics below.
- Instructions called for wheel axles to be cut to size. Why not just cut them at the factory since the wheels a provided. I guess it is to accommodate large wheel options. I left the axels as they are, they probably would have fit under the wheel pants as it. I also left off the wheel pants since I fly of grass.
- The spinner wouldn't allow enough threads for the prop adapter nut so I used a Tru-Turn spinner which fit and looks awesome. If you haven't used a Tru-Turn spinner check them out at: http://www.tru-turn.com/

Plus:
- Pretty straight forward and quick build for an ARF.
- Flies great.
- Very quick.
- CG in the instructions was bang on.

Flying:
- She needs speed and loves to snap. She snapped out of loops and even hammerhead turns if too slow.
- If you love to snap roll she is the plane to have.
- Have to keep up a little speed to land her. A little fast for her size.
- She will do inverted pretty well.
- I wasn't able to knife edge her very well.

Summary:
All in all a really nice flying airplane once you get used to her. One of my favorite at the field.

Check out the pics !
Hi Noofly

I am thinking of getting one ahead of my building G ride or G300 of Stevens aero as an aerobatic sport plane. Your info have convinced me more than enough to get one.

From your image and notes, , you have used HS 55 instead of HS50. Since the covering had already done, did you reinforce the servo tray from inside the frame for HS 55? If yes, how do you do it. Would be grateful for that information, as I have spare HS 55s lying around also.

Regards
Laythuye
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, CT
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laythuye View Post
Hi Noofly

I am thinking of getting one ahead of my building G ride or G300 of Stevens aero as an aerobatic sport plane. Your info havee convinced me more than enough to get one.

Regards
Laythuye
Hi Laythuye

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond earlier.

I did use the HS 55s and did not do any re enforcement. The screw locations for the servos had sufficient strength so I was not too worried. I would go the HS 50 route though if possible. Much easier since you have to open the holes for the HS 55s.

I used an eflite 480 with a 40 amp ESC with a 10x6 prop.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2008
31 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Hi Laythuye

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond earlier.

I did use the HS 55s and did not do any re enforcement. The screw locations for the servos had sufficient strength so I was not too worried. I would go the HS 50 route though if possible. Much easier since you have to open the holes for the HS 55s.

I used an eflite 480 with a 40 amp ESC with a 10x6 prop.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Noofly

I bought one already and I will use HS55 for the aileron and will use the HS45HB for the rudder and elevator. Will post some photos in a near future.

Laythuye
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:13 AM
United States, CT
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Noofly

I bought one already and I will use HS55 for the aileron and will use the HS45HB for the rudder and elevator. Will post some photos in a near future.

Laythuye
Look forward to the pics. Enjoy !
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Look forward to the pics. Enjoy !
Hi Noofly

Here are some of the photos of mini nemesis.

I will bite the bullet and decided to use only one servo for the elevator, so ended up with a connector rod for the two halves of elevator. And for the canopy, I ended up using an industrial strenght double sided tape instead of CA, as suggested in RCM & E magazine.

Laythuye
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:59 AM
United States, CT
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Hi Noofly

Here are some of the photos of mini nemesis.

I will bite the bullet and decided to use only one servo for the elevator, so ended up with a connector rod for the two halves of elevator. And for the canopy, I ended up using an industrial strenght double sided tape instead of CA, as suggested in RCM & E magazine.

Laythuye
Looks good. I think reinforcing the servo mount point is a great idea. Waiting for the maiden and pics !
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Looks good. I think reinforcing the servo mount point is a great idea. Waiting for the maiden and pics !
Hi Noofly

Here are some more photos; I did indeed reinforce the firewall for blind nuts with 1mm ply. As for the battery hatch, same as yours mine does not go all the way under the cowl as well.
Not maiden yet, waiting for a calm day to do it.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, CT
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
How dd she fly ?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Mar 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
How dd she fly ?
Hi Noofly

Wind and rain on the weekends still prevent me from flying.

Laythuye
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:23 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
990 Posts
I just got myself one of these planes, looks great. What total weight are you getting?
The rekommended 0.85-0.95kg sounds a little high, considering the rather low wing area (248 sq. inch).
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Mar 2008
31 Posts
At last

Quote:
How dd she fly ?
Hi Noofly

At long last, had a chance to maiden last weekend. She flies great, a little fast for my liking. Uneventful maiden, BUT on the third flight she came in a little too fast on landing and damaged the UC. On careful examination after the damange, I also found that I need more clearnce of the prop from the cowl, well back to the workbench.

surfer_kris, mine is a little on a heavier side (nearly 1 kg) , because of my reinforcement modifications. I think the lighter the aircraft the better for this model, what do you think Noofly?

Laythuye
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:58 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
Laythuye

how heavy is your motor? and what battery and how far forward does it have be to get the CG right ?
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:01 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
also, the manual says: •CG (Center of Gravity): 2.25-3.00 in

what did you guys use ?
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe