HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83 View Post
Redrawn the stabilizer made the construction interlocking using sub trailing and leading edges.

The only thing missing is the carbon spars to join the halves cause i have not
decided wich size i am going to use.

Here are the pictures:

Attachment 5137126

Attachment 5137127

Attachment 5137128

Attachment 5137129

Attachment 5137130

Attachment 5137131

Attachment 5137133

Greets ,

Bart
Bart most of us who have built the solent have made the elev main spar in one piece . I and others have also used carbon fiber flat stock on the front or back of the main spar to stiffen it up.I remember Luke Z having a cat attack on his elev and even a carbon spar could not have helped him with that. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:32 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
Hey Joe ,

Yes i know i have all the pictures of luke's build thread printed on A4 in a map wich i look in very often. Luckily i dont have a cat in the house but i do have 2 children who like my planes . .

I'm planning to make the tail surfaces detachable for easy transportation so thats
why im wanting to use carbon spars.

Greets,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83 View Post
Hey Joe ,

Yes i know i have all the pictures of luke's build thread printed on A4 in a map wich i look in very often. Luckily i dont have a cat in the house but i do have 2 children who like my planes . .

I'm planning to make the tail surfaces detachable for easy transportation so thats
why im wanting to use carbon spars.

Greets,

Bart
Keep a eye out for your tail weight my friend.I used a little heavyer sheeting on my rear section than i should of and i now have to run two battery packs in the nose .I hollowed out the nose section and made my battery tray longer as per mountainmans thread just in case i needed it . My batterys are at 1 to 11/2 inches away from the nose but one battery was out of the question .I also have a c size battery pack off to the side up up front for my servos and reciever for even more help in the CG department. I can barely use a computer but i like seeing your handy work drawing these plans ,keep up the great work Bart. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
Thanks for the compliments and the advice on the tailweight , Maybe i'll draw a lighter version of the horizontal stab. I think i can make it lighter . . . .

Hope to save some weight bij drawing the ribs of the wing , using CAD software it is pretty easy to make lighting holes etc.

Greets,

Bart
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined May 2001
2,950 Posts
Good work Bart. It's true about horizontal stab, although I broke mine more often due to my own clumsiness than the cat's.

I've never had a problem breaking the vertical/rudder, but that is probably because most of it is removable per Ivan's plan, and I store it with the removable portion off. If you do something similar with the horizontal, I think that would be a great arrangement.

Joe makes a good point about tail weight. I too have to stick my batteries literally into the nose carving in order to balance. One area in the rear that you could do away with is the steerable water rudder. If you plan on using differential steering, the water rudder is unnecessary weight.

Anyway, great progress on the CAD work! I know how time consuming that is... It is probably faster to build than to design.

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:03 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
I've been looking at the Solent a bit lately as well and am considering a fully detachable tail for storage and transportation concerns. My thought was to have a one piece bolt-on stabilizer. That should be lighter than a two-piece approach given that you would then maintain integrity of the spar across the fuselage instead of having two sets of joiners. The fin and rudder assembly would most likely then be one piece, keying into the fuselage and stabilizer. No question though, this would be noticeably heavier than Ivan's original design.

As for balance issues, Ivan originally designed the Solent 480 around a 10-cell 2,600mAh NiMH pack, so carrying LiPo's right up in the nose is not surprising.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ View Post
Anyway, great progress on the CAD work! I know how time consuming that is... It is probably faster to build than to design.

Luke
That is certainly true and i hope that it will be worth it. Good thing the cad work is
fun to do .

Im not going to build a water rudder just steering by the throttles this works fine on my G44 Widgeon so i have confiedence in this system.

Greets,

Bart
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
I'm thinking of bying these engine's for this plane , what do you guys think ?

greets,

Bart
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined May 2001
2,950 Posts
Bart, those motors look good, but just one thing to watch out for - prop size. On Ivan's Solent 400, which is roughly the same size as your C class, distance from shaft-to-shaft isn't much more than 9 inches. An 11" prop would be out of the question and maybe even a 10" had problems if I remember correctly (but it has been a long time).

Of course you can get away with a smaller diameter prop if you go 3-blade, which you may wish to do - but then there is the challenge of finding a prop that is suitable. I think this has become easier in recent years, but in the old days, 3-blade electric props were not very plentiful.

Anyway, just pointing out that it's always a good idea to take some measurements first! As for the motors themselves the specs look more than adequate to pull your plane, I think you'd have power to spare on 3S.

Luke
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
Hey Luke ,

Im using 3 blade props thats certain. I just hope to find scale looking props.
And if i can''t find annything i like there's always one joker

http://www.ramoser.de/home_d/variopr...rioprop_d.html

If only my budget is so large

On the battery , what size would be addecuate , 3s5000mAh ?

Greets,

Bart
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ View Post
Joe makes a good point about tail weight. I too have to stick my batteries literally into the nose carving in order to balance.
Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Keep a eye out for your tail weight my friend.I used a little heavyer sheeting on my rear section than i should of and i now have to run two battery packs in the nose.
Looks like i really have to be carefull since the nose of the ''c'' class is a bit shorter. Or i have to fill the tail surfaces with helium LOL .

Name: SDC14085.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 205.7 KB
Description: Shorter nose

Name: SDC14087.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 197.6 KB
Description: compare

Name: SDC14086.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 209.9 KB
Description: Tail also shorter

Greets,

Bart
Last edited by Bart83; Sep 09, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined May 2001
2,950 Posts
The Ramoser props are of course the best looking, but you're right, they cost dearly!

I used 3S - 6000mAh. I think 5000 would be ok, but I would not go much below it.

If you are drawing 40 Amps roughly, 5000mAh would give you about 8 minutes flying, approx.

In practice, 40A will probably be the the max current draw, and you will be pulling much less while cruising. On my 6000mAh batteries I have flown for up to 18 minutes before.

Luke
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
18 minutes , that should be long enough .

Greets,

Bart
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
Redrawn the stabilizer again , i did not like the previous construction.
Now it is much more ''ivan'' like.

Name: S23 (30).jpg
Views: 1087
Size: 57.3 KB
Description:

Name: S23 (31).jpg
Views: 1065
Size: 53.7 KB
Description:

Name: S23 (32).jpg
Views: 1072
Size: 38.8 KB
Description:

Greets,

Bart
Last edited by Bart83; Sep 10, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,779 Posts
And here is an example of the parts for CNC milling:

Name: S23 (33).jpg
Views: 1080
Size: 54.3 KB
Description:

Still have to figure out a good way to make the stab parts detachable and have no rudderhorns on the outside. I need something like the LEGO axle

Name: IMG_3607.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 31.9 KB
Description:

Maybe a hexagon bold and wrench will do the trick , annyone got any other good idea's ?

Greets,

Bart