HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
141 Posts
Discussion
Engines questions - my first project

Does the engines overheat after a time? I was thinking to make a small quad for surveillance in a factory ...and to connect it to an 12V direct cable. It will only have to make some small control-surveillance task.
Like go from point A to point B and came back, and it can go like a dog that is bounded to a wire...(actually there are dogs who walks from A to B because theire lance is connected to an 1000-2000 feets cable ..
I wish to construct this and to sell it to somebody, already talk with him and he agree to have such a smart tool.

My english is not very good, I hope you get my point.

It will require to carry an "night vision camera" i think that's around 2 lbs for sure...,the property it's like 5000x2000 feet (construction factory - concrate,etc)
s.hantiu is offline Find More Posts by s.hantiu
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
447 Posts
If your design parameters are within tolerances, than you dont get "overheating".
The hardware can dissipate heat as rapidly as it produces it.

But, not many consumer grade electronics have a 100% duty cycle. If you want to run a tethered quad for a 100% duty cycle, you are likely going to run into problems with maintenence and equipment failures. A 2lb camera is a decently heavy payload.

Alternatives exist, like Photoship Ones "Flyline" cable cameras, that run along a tighened rope. That would very arguably be a much more viable solution for surveilance for a large warehouse.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hantiu View Post
the property it's like 5000x2000 feet (construction factory - concrate,etc)
I would use cams on poles, less problems and cheaper.
Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
I would use cams on poles, less problems and cheaper.
Yeah but a thief can easy disconnect them, see where they are located etc. An quad can also scary a little bite them + also there are surveillance quad with "speakers".
s.hantiu is offline Find More Posts by s.hantiu
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:43 AM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
thieves can easily cut dangling flying long exposed wire . this is very big. if you want a guaranteed security with a quad. you need a high end system not even them wookong stuff
you need the one they use on experiments, the one that has a environment aware program it needs a 3d scan of the whole place and it needs to rescan any changes in the environment.

wires wont work as its a big risk and much hastle.

use plutonium dioxide like they used it in Curiosity

thou this fantasy isnt imposibble, auto land for auto charnge then auto survey and that stuff isnt really nasa stuff. this can take as much as 20 gran.
Multor is offline Find More Posts by Multor