HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
I found another manufacturer who has an F14 ARF 'in progress'. Slated for release the end of 2012..

Skymaster F14

http://www.skymasterjet.com/f14.htm

They also have a video of it taking off and landing with the wings swept, looks a little hairy but fun
Skymaster F-14 test flight for back wing (2 min 6 sec)

Looks pretty big though.... I wonder if a twin 70mm fan size would make a more accessible model size for those of us without access to mega runways and vans to transport the airframe??
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
OK OK I found an ARTF F14 that is available now.

Fly Eagle Jet Model Factory:

http://flyeaglejet.com/en/F14.html
http://flyeaglejet.com/en/F14185.html

Actually they have two, one at 1:7.5 and one at 1:8. These are big birds! I could be wrong but it seems to me that to get the mass market you need to be making something halfway between that and the cheapy foam F14's coming out of HK etc.

Other than that, there stuff looks pretty good..

Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:34 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,393 Posts
What if Eflight sent one of their fiberglass layup guys to Germany for training in epoxy layup and vacuum bagging techniques. you could surely shave a pound of bondo and primer off the present inventory weight. Then sent them to Emory Riddle for some aerodynamics 101 basic lessons
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
I would think an F-35 would be in their future. The F-14 and F-15 are no longer part of the US military inventory.
You are correct about the F-14, but we still fly the C model Eagle at Kadena AB Japan and Lakenheath AB England. The F-15E strike eagle is still an important part of our inventory and doing plenty of business in Afghanistan currently. Sorry, just had to clarify this...couldnt resist!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
887 Posts
This thread is pretty much a waste of time. Eflite/Horizon won't develop an F-14. As popular as we think it would be and as much as we all want one, it won't sell the units necessary because a twin fan setup puts the kit out of the mainstream modeler's budget as well as most hobby shops that would consider carrying it. We would be far better off lobbying HET, JTM, ProDesign, CMP, or Smartmodel.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
This thread is wishful thinking.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
This thread is pretty much a waste of time. Eflite/Horizon won't develop an F-14. As popular as we think it would be and as much as we all want one, it won't sell the units necessary because a twin fan setup puts the kit out of the mainstream modeler's budget as well as most hobby shops that would consider carrying it. We would be far better off lobbying HET, JTM, ProDesign, CMP, or Smartmodel.
Hmm yeah good point. Twin fan does introduce a lot of extra cost and complexity which is a challenge. Some folks have suggested making it a psuedo twin exit single fan job, but I think that would take away from the end product.

Thinking about it I wonder could they introduce a 'power pack' for the bird potentially built up from:
2 x BL15 3600kv motors
2 x DeltaV 69mm fans

You still have the problem though that you need two esc's, unless they could make a Pro ESC with dual motor support. I guess though if you're putting that kind of money in to a bird then you want to have a some redundancy so maybe running two esc's is a good insurance policy.

Yes it would be extra effort / R&D but it's not like the F14 is the only twin outlet bird around. The same setup could be used in any manner of models from F15, F18, Mig Su37 etc etc.

On a model with twin 69mm fans, I wonder what the wingspan would be - 1500mm at full sweep could be good?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:49 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
You are correct about the F-14, but we still fly the C model Eagle at Kadena AB Japan and Lakenheath AB England. The F-15E strike eagle is still an important part of our inventory and doing plenty of business in Afghanistan currently. Sorry, just had to clarify this...couldnt resist!
OK, OK, not our front line fighters. What is the 1st Figher Wing flying out of Langley? The F-22. The F-15 is like what the F-4 was in the early 90s. Heading to the boneyard every year (even though we are keeping many of our airframes long past their originally planned life).

But I understand the affection for the old F-14 and F-15.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
996 Posts
I guess technically the F-22 is the Air Force's front line fighter, but honestly I don't think it can be considered that yet. It has not seen a single second of combat, and they have to keep them ungrounded for a reasonable amount of time. The F-15 is still out there flying sorties everyday on the front line.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaywood View Post
I guess technically the F-22 is the Air Force's front line fighter, but honestly I don't think it can be considered that yet. It has not seen a single second of combat, and they have to keep them ungrounded for a reasonable amount of time. The F-15 is still out there flying sorties everyday on the front line.
F-22? I have to respectfully disagree. The F-16 "Viper" has been the front line fighter we have relied on at home and abroad over the last decade. It has clearly proven itself as THE work horse of the Air Force in terms of fighters.

Nothing against the Raptor, seeing it do business during excercises and in training is eye watering. When needed and called upon, the Raptor's time will come....
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2009
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
I would think an F-35 would be in their future. The F-14 and F-15 are no longer part of the US military inventory. As RC fliers, generally, we like to fly what we see fly (and fight). As the F-35s get into the inventory (slow as it is going), we will get accustomed to it. After the first military engagement involving the F-35, we will be "expecting" good RC models of it.
How long ago were the F4's retired? E-Flite have sold bucket loads of those including one to me.
Arkx400 is offline Find More Posts by Arkx400
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:18 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
887 Posts
Many of the top selling RC aircraft are WWII warbirds like the P-51 and P-47 that were decommissioned long ago. I think the F-14 is an incredibly popular and iconic plane but there are two primary reasons it isn't developed more often as an RC aircraft. It requires two power units which makes it cost prohibitive and the swing wing creates complexity in the manufacturing process that also increases the cost. Anything more than a foamy will cost any potential buyer well over a $1000 to get in the air which starts to limit its ability to sell to the rc hobby masses. Pure economics dude.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Many of the top selling RC aircraft are WWII warbirds like the P-51 and P-47 that were decommissioned long ago. I think the F-14 is an incredibly popular and iconic plane but there are two primary reasons it isn't developed more often as an RC aircraft. It requires two power units which makes it cost prohibitive and the swing wing creates complexity in the manufacturing process that also increases the cost. Anything more than a foamy will cost any potential buyer well over a $1000 to get in the air which starts to limit its ability to sell to the rc hobby masses. Pure economics dude.
The economics is precisely why it can be made by E-Flite, because they have economy of scale. A global distribution network and manufacturing efficiency that can deliver complicated mechanics/electronics at a competitive price. You could argue that no manufacturer could have done it 10 years ago, but E-Flite are already doing it now - with the F4. If they bring out a twin engine bundle 'power set' modellers could still stay under the $1k threshhold.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,183 Posts
I can't see a F-14 coming from Horizon at any time. With the swing wing not only does the CG change, but so does the center of lift. Very complicated to get the model to fly correctly.
With no Ailerons you would save a little cash though since the Tomcat doesn't use them.

I would think something more like an A-4, F-16, or F-18 would be closer to what would be next if anything. With all their problems I doubt any new jet, if any, would be out before next year.

At the last 2 E-Jets they showed off the Habu32 and then the Phantom, but both took almost 5 months to ship after E-jets.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
I can't see a F-14 coming from Horizon at any time. With the swing wing not only does the CG change, but so does the center of lift. Very complicated to get the model to fly correctly.
With no Ailerons you would save a little cash though since the Tomcat doesn't use them...
Starmax figured out how to keep the CG the same with swept back wings in their F14...totally doable.

They can charge 50% more than the price of the Habu, make the plane over 60" and have twin 80s as the power system...It would sell seeing how much folk put into the Habu...

The main issue is keeping it light
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771