HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,213 Posts
The hobby has become extremely polarized ---

One on hand, you have very talented modelers that create/build some really nice and cool stuff. They seldom complain and/or post about how their ARFs (when they build them) don't go perfectly together... they usually just build around it, engineer a better solution, and generally get over it.

And on the other hand we've got the guys that want everything in a model, perfectly trimmed, RTF, and CHEEEAAAAP, because there's no justifying buying good equipment or spending a little time and labor making a model fly right... if it's not perfect out of the box, it's garbage and should be thrown out.

It's already been said; even if E-Flite miraculously came out with a nice, fully-functioning, and decently priced Tomcat, there will be tons of complaints about price, builder/pilot skill requirement, and of course the obligatory Horizon Hobby release date push-back (at least two (2) times people!).

I guess high end F-14 models will be reserved for those ambitious, skilled, and unafraid to pick up an exacto, some CA, and get to work.
Now if only I could find some time to build the thing...

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
The hobby has become extremely polarized ---

One on hand, you have very talented modelers that create/build some really nice and cool stuff. They seldom complain and/or post about how their ARFs (when they build them) don't go perfectly together... they usually just build around it, engineer a better solution, and generally get over it.

And on the other hand we've got the guys that want everything in a model, perfectly trimmed, RTF, and CHEEEAAAAP, because there's no justifying buying good equipment or spending a little time and labor making a model fly right... if it's not perfect out of the box, it's garbage and should be thrown out.

It's already been said; even if E-Flite miraculously came out with a nice, fully-functioning, and decently priced Tomcat, there will be tons of complaints about price, builder/pilot skill requirement, and of course the obligatory Horizon Hobby release date push-back (at least two (2) times people!).

I guess high end F-14 models will be reserved for those ambitious, skilled, and unafraid to pick up an exacto, some CA, and get to work.
Now if only I could find some time to build the thing...

Vic
Something in between would be nice....and if it can cost less than 4,800usd (aka 450usd) would be nice too
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:39 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Lets be realistic here. E-Flite will never make anything this complex in fiberglass. Way to complex. Way too expensive. The crash rate will be astonishing and Horizon will definitely not want to take their profit and replace airframes for those to catch on to the learning curve of flying one of these with its wings swept back. Yes, gyros would help, but do you actually realisticly see them producing something this complex? It sure would be awesome though.

Well they could release the base ARTF with manual wing sweep, i.e. when you build it you choose if you want fixed wing, intermediate, or delta by putting the wing bolts in different holes etc. This gives the modeler the chance to learn the airframe and also choice on how they want it to fly.

Then they sell an optional upgrade which is the RC activated wing sweep system and write on it that it's for advanced modelers only you need to programme, add a gyro etc etc and give instructions only with that upgrade.

An advantage of this approach would be that they can put out a base kit with competitive cost, and those that choose that they want "in air" wing sweep install the add on later when they are competent and know how to fly it.

BTW, why would fibreglass be more complex? It seems that E-Flite can handle that type of design ok going by the Habu 32 and F4?

Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,801 Posts
Something Russian............or a plane which is seldom seen in the modelling community.....please no more Hawks.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
It has gone Air Force with the F-86, then Navy with the F-4, its time for Air Force again, and my vote is the F-15 Eagle. That would make sense, with a huge wing area, stable flight characteristics and it builds on the bifurcated ducted like on the F-4. Make sense to me.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Lets be realistic here. E-Flite will never make anything this complex in fiberglass. Way to complex. Way too expensive. The crash rate will be astonishing and Horizon will definitely not want to take their profit and replace airframes for those to catch on to the learning curve of flying one of these with its wings swept back. Yes, gyros would help, but do you actually realisticly see them producing something this complex? It sure would be awesome though.
Apparently the JHH F-14 doesn't need gyros to handle the sweep back. Other builders say that it isn't a problem when you sweep the wings. I've got that kit sitting here waiting to be built.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,296 Posts
Ill bet well see a Mig 15 next from eflite as one of the principal designers is a Mig fanatic
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:57 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Ill bet well see a Mig 15 next from eflite as one of the principal designers is a Mig fanatic
Nice plane but they already have one in UMX AS3X, they also already have an F15.

I think the beauty of the F14 is that bar a build it yourself kit, they can not be had in ARTF so the market is ripe for the picking.

I did find one example in ARTF but it is 2.7m wingspan and runs twin turbine!!!!
http://www.fbjets.com/index.php?Page=54
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
971 Posts
No...it should be a B1
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:12 AM
Schweiz, LU, Luzern
Joined Apr 2005
60 Posts
Im wish F 14 !

or F 35 ..
or F 18 F Super Hornet !
DamonSchumi is offline Find More Posts by DamonSchumi
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Definitely possible considering they already released the F-86..it would make sense to release its nemisis the MiG-15...or how about the MiG-21, perfect compliment to the F-4...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Definitely possible considering they already released the F-86..it would make sense to release its nemisis the MiG-15...or how about the MiG-21, perfect compliment to the F-4...
Would love a Mig 21

I'm really surprised that a manufacturer that has the dough hasn't made all of the Cold War jets yet...seems like there's such slim selection from one manufacturer...
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
The -21 from a design perspective would make sense due to the single engine, flow throw ducted fan design. The delta style wing and stabs would seem simple to manufacturer as well.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,114 Posts
Wow.. lots of mis-conceptions of F-14 models and there flying qualities..

1. They are not "CG" sensitive, no more so than a regular airplane.
2. The wings sweeping back are not that critical, the CG does shift, but not as much as the center of pressure. This is easiliy fixed by a sweep to elevator mix to add a bit of elevator up trim when the wings go back.. no complicated "moving weight" crap needed.
3. No gyro's are needed either. The F-14 is an extremely Tame and relaxing flier when the wings are extended. When they are swept, the roll rate increases immensely so a dual rate is needed, and the Elevator rate can be increased. again, no gyro's to complicate the thing.
4. The wing seep can be done reliably with some high torque servo's, the trick is getting a smooth pivot mechanism to spar juncture so the wing doesn't fold around the pivot points.
5. The F-14 should be allot easier to fly than an F-14. the wing area is pretty big and if its large enough for twin 80-90mm EDF's then you could shove flaps in there to.

The biggest reason why I doubt E-flite would ever do a F-14 is..

1. The molding necessary for a fiberglass Fuselage is Extremely complex.
2. The Wing spar to pivot point has to be Perfect, or you will be loosing wing panels
3. The Carry through spray in the fuselage needs to be pretty substantial so as to support the wing panels.
4. The Landing gear is very complex, granted it doesn't need to be perfect "scale" but it doesn't need to be sitting on stilts either. The area where the gear mounts is limited (even at 1/7 scale) which requires custom landing gear mechanisms, no drop this down to a 60-70" wingspan model and you are not VERY limited in available space. The available e-flite retracts would probably not work and be able to support the weight AND fit in the available space.

OH, and Top-Gun 2 is featuring the F-35, not the F-14 or 18 (atleast that is what I have been told by people in the "know")
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
I would think an F-35 would be in their future. The F-14 and F-15 are no longer part of the US military inventory. As RC fliers, generally, we like to fly what we see fly (and fight). As the F-35s get into the inventory (slow as it is going), we will get accustomed to it. After the first military engagement involving the F-35, we will be "expecting" good RC models of it.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh