HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Mar 2009
60 Posts
Discussion
Best in the west jet rally 2012

Best in the West is fast approaching, October 17th through October 21st. at the Elk-Hills Buttonwillow Airport in Buttonwillow, California. Anyone planning on attending, now is the time to pre-register. Pre registration fee is $50, on site fee is $60.00.

If you are thinking about renting a tent, please let me know as soon as possible to secure tents, tables and chairs. This year, the Best in the West website is now set-up for PayPal, you may pay for any rental with PayPal, you will be able to pay for pre-registration, tents, tables, chairs, hats, t-shirts, friday night dinner (free to registered pilots), banquet tickets, etc, etc. We will also be able to take credit cards at the event to pay for auction items as well as registration.

This year the banquet will be held at the field, I think this will be good for pilots who are camping at the field and had no transportation to and from the hotel. Anyone attending the banquet will now be able to fly as long as you like, right up to the start of the banquet, well I would hope you would at least take a shower.

This year's auction will be great, we have great sponsors that have donated to the show and we can't thank them enough. We have 30 awards to hand out, nothing comes close to our trophy's. Again this year we will decide on who will win the Colonel Robert Thacker award, our most prestigious award given at BITW. Please let us know if you will be attending the banquet, banquet fee is $35.00. Pilot's Friday night dinner, again this year we will have a friday night pilot dinner at the field, all registered pilots are free, anyone else who would like to join us for dinner, there will be a $22.00 fee.

There will be vendors at the show: Jetcat USA, Kingtech USA, Jet Central USA, Global Jet Club, Gyro Hobbies and Todd and George from Dreamworks with there huge trailer full of inventory, and more.

Food concession will be available from thursday through saturday, serving breakfast and lunch. There will be a general raffle and a pilot raffle, with lots of good raffle items, as well as 50/50 tickets, so please buy tickets at the registration table. This year we will do without the pilot line-up on the runway, if anyone would like to have their jet have a chance to win an award from the spectators, we will have you roll your jet in front of the spectator viewing area, and allow them to view your jet(s) and vote on there 2 favorite jets, sport or scale.

Best in the West looks to be the biggest it has ever been this year, we are expecting well over 100 pilots, pilots coming in from several states as well as pilots coming in from many countries, please join us and have some fun with us, come fly with the west coast guys, the cali crew, and see how we do it.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me or call me, all information is on the BITW website at www.bestinthewestjetrally.com please view the website and enjoy Sarah at the bottom right of the home page, oh and donít forget to pre register. I hope to see you all soon. a special thanks to all the BARKS members and club officers for all their hard work and support of BITW, we also like to thank the Kern County Airport for allowing us to use the airport.

Joe C!!!
f16jc is offline Find More Posts by f16jc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Flying in

Joe, I was planning on flying into elk-hills airport to attend the rally. Is the airport going to be shut down to full scale aircraft at certain times? If not then what times would you recommend an arrival? I'm really looking forward to being there.

Thanks!
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,671 Posts
Speaking of "flying in" does any of the modelers crate their models and take a plane into the events?

I would love to go to something like this but driving is out of the question...

At least for now, I have an 80 mile both way commute to work...
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,227 Posts
Joe,

A few years ago, LA Jets, RV parking was across the road, then, two years ago it was on the same side as the field in back of the food concession The area across the road became overgrown with weeds and brush. I was not able to come last year so I don't know where RV parking was located.

Where is the RV parking this year? Is it possible for the area across the road to be mowed and used for RV parking, much more room over there.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Mar 2009
60 Posts
Guys, I would love to see you all attend the show, I welcome all EDF jets. As far as the runway to be used, there is a notam from Oct 17 through Oct 21st. Runway will be shut down, however if you decide you want to fly in and land at Elk Hills, early part of the week would be best. If by chance you can only attend later in the week, I would suggest landing as early in the morning as possible, it will be hard to shut the runway down this year. If you decide to do this, please contact me with day and time. If anyone has any other questions or concerns about landing there plane, please feel free to call me, 310-350-1320. I hope to see you there. Joe!!!!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Mar 2009
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Speaking of "flying in" does any of the modelers crate their models and take a plane into the events?

I would love to go to something like this but driving is out of the question...

At least for now, I have an 80 mile both way commute to work...
Yes, there are plenty of pilots attending from a distance and who will be crating there aircraft, please visit the BITW website at www.bestinthewestjetrally.com under pilot information link, there is an address for you to ship you jet to. Thanks, Joe C!!!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Mar 2009
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Joe,

A few years ago, LA Jets, RV parking was across the road, then, two years ago it was on the same side as the field in back of the food concession The area across the road became overgrown with weeds and brush. I was not able to come last year so I don't know where RV parking was located.

Where is the RV parking this year? Is it possible for the area across the road to be mowed and used for RV parking, much more room over there.

Al
Hi Al, yes there is plenty of room for RV parking, go onto the BITW website and under the rental link you will find; View the plot layout, to the right of the airport, you will see the wind sock, that area will be for all RV's etc. there are no hook ups, but the Porta-poti company I booked, when they come out to clean the porta-poti's, they will flush your tanks and fill your tank with fresh water, there is a $25.00 fee and that is between Kninght porta-poti and the RV owner. Joe C!!!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Mar 2009
60 Posts
I would like to mention and say thank you to Shubeler for donating one of there awesome fans to the show, this fan will more than likely be in our auction, if anyone is attending the show, the banquet will be held at the field this year, there will be a huge 60 X 40 tent. The banquet auction looks to be another good one this year, beside Shubeler, last year we had BVM and Efflux as well as Tam donating there great EDF pproducts, I would think that would be the same for this year. Please go to the BITW website and pre-register and check the box if you are attending the banquet, also check the box on color shirt and size.
If anyone is interest in renting a tent, 10X10 or 20X20, now is the time to do so, we have tables and chairs to rent. Friday night will be the pilots dinner, all registered pilots are free to eat, all non registered pilots arewelcomed to join in, there is a $22 dinner fee and can be purchased on line or at the registration table. This year everything can be purchased on line at the BITW web site using Paypal at the show we will also be able to take credit cards for any purchase at the auction. Thanks and looking forward to another great BITW, see you there. Joe C!!!!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:14 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f16jc View Post
Yes, there are plenty of pilots attending from a distance and who will be crating there aircraft, please visit the BITW website at www.bestinthewestjetrally.com under pilot information link, there is an address for you to ship you jet to. Thanks, Joe C!!!
thx!!!
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Mcgoughman,
If you wanted to park over at L45 I can give you a ride out. Much better runway and tie downs over there. Let me know if you want to coordinate something.
Richard
beechbum is offline Find More Posts by beechbum
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:48 AM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
L45 ride.

Richard, I will definately take you up on the ride from L45. There are no notams published yet and I want to review the NOTAM at L62 before we commit to any plans.I will work around your schedule if you are willing to pick me up. Let me know how many passengers you have room for. I really appreciate the offer. Thanks!!!

I will let you know what my plans are as we get closer to the event dates.
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Sounds good. If I can pry the MDX away from the wife I can squeeze up to six passengers, but four would be more comfotable. Will stay in touch.
Richard
beechbum is offline Find More Posts by beechbum
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,057 Posts
Any one bringing a fast edf (140/150 or better) for sale?

Maurice
mpodder is offline Find More Posts by mpodder
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodder View Post
Any one bringing a fast edf (140/150 or better) for sale?

Maurice
I will have my Jet Teng Viper with a TJ100 with the dynamax rotor on 11s. Does 160 no prblem. see me..James at the Tamjets tent and you can check it out.

James
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:46 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,057 Posts
Thanks James.

Maurice
mpodder is offline Find More Posts by mpodder