HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:47 PM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Discussion
Slow Bott

Here are the dimensions for my Slow Bott.
The prototype started life as a Simple Delta. It didn't fly as slow as I needed it too.
I want to fly in my yard and need a slow and controllable flier. The Slow Bott is.
I started modifying the SD and ended up adding a kfm4 step type design to the wings. I used what foam I had on hand so the top and bottom step aren't the same size. In the plans, I have them the same.
The prototype is made with 1/4" Blue Core FFF and the mods are all Dollar Tree Readi-board with the paper removed.

Here is a video of the prototype (modified Simple Delta) flying around a field in a nearby Park. I was shocked and amazed at how slow and controllable it is inverted. It is rock steady inverted.

I'm very happy with this creation. I hope you will be too when you build one.

I used a Blue Wonder 1500kv motor, 2s 800 mah battery, GWS 9x5 prop. 10A ESC, HK orange receiver and 3 Hitec HS-55 servos. AUW is 9.5 ounces.
It has 460 sq in wing area or 3.19 sq ft. Wing loading is 2.97 oz/sq ft.
I'm sure one can be built lighter which would fly even better.
The CG is 5 3/4" back from leading edge. (26% of the 22" length with Elevons). If the plans are scaled up or down from the original dimensions, use 26% of the length for the CG.

The video was taken with a #11 key chain camera mounted on my hat. There wasn't any wind either :-) I flew it again today in a light wind. It flew fine, just not as smooth. The wind hitting the vertical stab/rudder made it weather vane a bit. Not bad at all, just different in the wind.
I can fly it at home in the evening when there isn't any wind.

Cheerz
Danford1

EDIT: I've added tip plates to the plans, they aren't shown on the prototype plane. Tip plates are optional but they do stiffen the wing and enhance the roll rate and help with slow speed flight.

Modified Simple Delta, Low and Slow, Aug 23, 2012 (8 min 44 sec)
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
Last edited by danford1; May 29, 2014 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Tip plate info added.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
Good job. I like it!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,287 Posts
Danford1

Looks like a GREAT slow flyer. With the larger elevons it will be more responsive. I have built a nutball and a drenalyn and they are both lots of fun, but this may be my next build! I have both the FFF blue foam and some Dollar Tree foam. If you were building again would you use all FFF blue, all Dollar Tree or the same mix that you have in the prototype? How do you have your motor mounted?

Thanks for the experiment of building this and sharing it with others.

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Last edited by High Flyin'; Aug 24, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
Innovator
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
Danford1

Looks like a GREAT slow flyer. With the larger elevons it will be more responsive. I have built a nutball and a drenalyn and they are both lots of fun, but this may be my next build! I have both the FFF blue foam and some Dollar Tree foam. If you were building again would you use all FFF blue, all Dollar Tree or the same mix that you have in the prototype? How do you have your motor mounted?

Thanks for the experiment of building this and sharing it with others.

Ray
I think Dollar Tree foam board without the paper is lighter than blue core FFF. I would use Dollar Tree foam board. You won't need to add carbon up front with the Kfm4 type steps, but you will need some in front of the hinge line. I should add that to the plans and update my post... a 3mm tube glued in about 1" in front of the hinges would be fine. Bigger elevons are possible, builders can alter plans as they see fit :-)

The prototype has some flat carbon strips on the front edge, left over from the Simple Delta. Those are optional for your build.

I have the 1/8" plywood epoxied to the foam and then added some foam braces or wedges. It wouldn't hurt to put some lower spine doublers behind the motor mount to stiffen the spine. Extend them back a couple inches or so.
The motor is screwed to the plywood plate with the tiny screws that come with new servos. I think they are meant for mounting the servo. They work great for mounting motors though :-)

I also have a 21" NutBall and a Drenalyn. I fly the crap out of both of them. The Drenalyn is my favorite. This Slow Bott may edge it out of the top spot. I need to fly it more before I can rank it that high. The Drenalyn is a tough act to beat.
(I also have a Smart Dart, Capricorn, Scorpio, Prevailer and a slew of "normal" looking typical foam planes).

Please do build the Slow Bott. Post pictures as you build and of course a video of the maiden flight.
Cherrz
Danford1
Last edited by danford1; Aug 24, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
Out the Window
Joined Jul 2004
1,287 Posts
Danford1

I have saved your plans and some pictures to my computer. After looking at your video again, I am still impressed with the flying and the airplane design. Of course having all of the materials and electronics on had does not hurt. I am surprised that there is not more activity on this thread! Maybe my post will move it up to the top and more people will read it.

My Drenalyn was my favorite flyer for a while, it would do about anything I was able to do. After a while it just quit flying as well...there were not a lot of repairs to increase the weight and I did not change out any of the electronics, I could not figure out what happened.

Have you had a chance to fly yours any more?

Ray
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:29 PM
Innovator
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
Danford1

I have saved your plans and some pictures to my computer. After looking at your video again, I am still impressed with the flying and the airplane design. Of course having all of the materials and electronics on had does not hurt. I am surprised that there is not more activity on this thread! Maybe my post will move it up to the top and more people will read it.

My Drenalyn was my favorite flyer for a while, it would do about anything I was able to do. After a while it just quit flying as well...there were not a lot of repairs to increase the weight and I did not change out any of the electronics, I could not figure out what happened.

Have you had a chance to fly yours any more?

Ray
Ray, YES, I fly my Drenalyn whenever I can. I have a pile of foamies. I grab 3 to 6 at a time when I go flying. The Drenalyn is usually one of the planes I grab :-)
It still flies fine. The Slow Bott is flying fine as well.
Build one, I think you will like it.

Oh, if you or anyone else builds one, let me know if you find errors in the plans. I'll update them if needed.
Cheerz
Danford1
Last edited by danford1; Aug 28, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:19 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,933 Posts
Good design that goes well.... nice one...I love easy builds
For depron I think it would work just as well without the spars, with the layers directly laminated..

Also retaining a spar, it will make a goodn for epp
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:45 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
So do you think the E-Flite 250 would be a good match?
Thank you for sharing the plans for this great looking project!!!
Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
Innovator
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Knipp View Post
So do you think the E-Flite 250 would be a good match?
Thank you for sharing the plans for this great looking project!!!
Greg
I can't comment on the E-Flite 250. Do you have info on it like size, kv rating, recommended props and how much thrust it puts out?
The Slow Bott is slow and needs a bit of Oomph to fly with the thick leading edge.
Is the E-Flite 250 comparable to a Blue Wonder 24g motor? If so, it should work.
My estimation is you would need a 9" prop diameter for the plane. I haven't tried flying it on an 8" yet. I tried a 9x3.8 and 10.3.8 and they work well. The 10x3.8 is a bit too much for the 1500kv motor though. I flew that at part throttle with limited wide open bursts, it was a bit hot when I landed... I have some BW 1300kv motors that do better with a 10x3.8 prop and 2s batteries.
Sorry I can't help with the 250, perhaps someone else can help out.
Danford1
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Out the Window
Joined Jul 2004
1,287 Posts
Danford

I made a set of templates from thin poster board and cut out all of the foam from Dollar Tree foam with the paper removed. Maybe I can get some of the foam together tomorrow. I am the worlds slowest builder and easily distracted, so it may take a while to get it flying. My old BYOB had to donate the electronics as it has not flown for quite a while.

Ray
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:17 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...kv-EFLM1130#t2

Here are the specs. on the E-Flite 250. I am going on your weight of approx. 9.5 ozs. because my builds always tend to run on the heavier side of the scale. I would think that motor would give it ample power.

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Last edited by Greg Knipp; Aug 30, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:52 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I think this could be my next quick build. Into a few complicated ones right now, will be refreshing to build a quick slow-flyer. I got the depron in front of me, but also a lot of work. Better get the work done first - not complainin' though. $25 an hour for web design (Designing a site for NeuMotors *drool*) and I don't even have a college diploma yet

EDIT: 501 posts... yay.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I just ordered a parkflyer combo from HobbyPartz... a BluWonder copy + 3 9g Servos + ESC for only $24. Also got some sky lipo batteries for it. It should drive the thing just fine.

I might be able to devote a half hour to cutting the depron for this. I think that'll be all I need.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:48 PM
Innovator
Joined May 2011
357 Posts
Sounds good. I hope a lot of guys build it.
I'll be out of town for several days with no internet access. I expect to read A LOT of posts on people building and flying this when I get back next week.
Don't Let Me Down !

:-) Danford1
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
C'mon chaps! Hop to it! It only needs a few sheets of depron and any 'ol 24g power system you have lyin' around!