HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
45 Posts
Discussion
RC fighter jet plans

Guys i have to make an RC fighter aircraft as my university project. The uni wants a unique fighter jet aaircraft that has been planned by me. Can you give me plans of easy modified balsa fighter jets..it has to be in balsa
dave1211 is offline Find More Posts by dave1211
Last edited by dave1211; Sep 09, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Let me guess, you plan to fly it, install a turbine and have never flown rc before to...
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
45 Posts
you guessed right
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
Tell your prof that he's living in a dream world.

It is simply not at all realistic to expect someone totally new to model aircraft to fly one of these things off the board first time ever. So at the very least you would need to enlist the services of a good model flying pilot to your group. Then there's the whole idea behind designing a stable and suitably sized airframe and structure which will fly and withstand the flight loads. You don't get that sort of knowledge and skill set overnight. Or even in a couple of months such as you're being expected to achieve.

It seems like it should be doable to say "here is a power plant. Research what sort of model it can be used to fly and then design a new aircraft intended to achieve XYZ results using this same power plant". But that's where it gets complicated. It just ain't that easy.

It makes me think that some of these guys figure that we are all playing with a bunch of "toys" that are child's play to design and build. In reality we blend a good amount of aerodynamics and structural choices along with a knowledgable background for tolerable weights and sizes to suit the chosen power plants to produce our models. There's a lot more engineering that goes into all these facets of design choices than some folks seem to want to admit.

You can quote me to him as a guy with over 45 years of designing and building all manner of model aircraft. If you're presenting this assignment correctly in the posts I've seen from you so far then your prof is totally unrealistic in what you're being assigned.

Instead of giving you something of this complexity he would do far better to assign something that is more attainable and which you could research more fully and offer up a deeper understanding in the written report. Because as it sits now if you're telling us the real story then it's like he's expecting you to digest a whole grocery store worth of food over one weekend.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Last edited by BMatthews; Aug 25, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,670 Posts
Alternatively you could read the project brief again and find out what it is you've REALLY been asked to do .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:37 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
I guess it needs to be asked what the timeline is for this project? Its doable, but would give it at least 6 months to a year (I'm thinking time to learn how to fly on more appropriate models), and being inexperienced with building your going to have to do things the long way and make a lot of newbie mistakes along the way that will have to be fixed.

Sounds to me like a challenge, and a cool one at that. Compare this to something more along the lines "detail the geological history of the Sydney basin starting from formation of the tasman sea".......Yawn (obviously something from my degree, but your would have the same boring old reports I'm sure just more engineering related. I still have no idea how I made it all the way through a uni degree).

I would befriend someone close by who is a gun builder and flyer and is keen to help. If your in Canada, I would recomend someone who goes by the name Bruce in BC, wherever that is
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
45 Posts
I know it will be very hard for me to do this alone..thats y im seeking the help of a pro to do this for me...and yes i know someone who will help me with the flying as werll. I just need plans of a unique fighter jet aircraft...by 'unique' i mean any normal fighter aircraft which has been modified by someone and has some special features added to it. The duration of the project is 4 months btw..thx again
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:21 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
4 months to learn what took many of us 4 years or more is not that long a time.

Let's start with some background.

What, if any, background do you have with flying models? What, if any, other "building" hobbies have you participated in? And since the prof had the temerity to suggest that you and the others design a "better fighter jet" just what sort of intrest or background do you have in military aircraft and the sort of missions they are designed to perform? And were there any discussions about what sort of "improvements" you and the rest of the teams are supposed to come up with?

Finally what sort of engine powered fan unit, electric motor and fan unit or turbine motor does the prof have which he is willing to risk in something you and the rest of the teams manage to build? And if it is an actual turbine engine you had better start looking for someone locally that already has experience with handling such motors. These are seriously expensive power plants and require serious ground support, experience and knowledge to operate.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Aug 2012
45 Posts
Well actually i have made an aircraft twice already for my diploma and in my previous semester as well. The difference was that earlier it was in groups so things were much easier and we did give it to a professional to make..we also asked someone tol fly it for us..so building is not really that much of a problem. I am interested in planes of course...thats why i'm doing a degree in aerospace..like it or not I have to make this project to pass my semester..so i would appreciate it if ya'll can help me out with plans etc..thx again
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
What is your budget? Any speed or payload specs? An actual "scale" model replica, or does any subject work as long as it is a jet?

I agree with everyones post above. A model Jet with an actual Jet turbine is not exactly the model to be doing with "two" airplanes of experience. They are very complex models and if any short cuts or lack of experience is used during the build, it will become a huge expensive smoking hole in the ground.

P.s. your professor needs a reality check, as he is blinded by his rose colored glasses in thinking that this is something that any joe blow college student can pull off safely
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
45 Posts
Yes the wingspan must not exceed 2m and weight should not be more than 2 kg...well i know i don't have the experience..but i will be asking a pro to built it anyway..not sure what you mean by payload specs..can't really blame the professor..the university expects us to make it and the proffesor is just following procedure..i jsut need s fairly simple plan of a modified RC fighter jet..i need all the specifications as well because i ahve to make a report and do calcualtions on the plane like calculate the reynolds number etc..i am very grateful for all your replies thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my post..um regarding my budget i'm willing to spend as much possible in order to finish my plane but i also don't want it to be too high ..i'm a studnet after all and need to pay back my university loan
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,639 Posts
Here's some forum links to look at and see what has already been done -

Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum
There are a lot of free plans in one of the 'Sticky' threads at the top. There are some jets, and although the forum covers foam build, converting to balsa shouldn't be that difficult if it has to be balsa.

Aircraft - Electric - Jets forum group
This is a group of forums covering - ducted fan and pusher prop powered jets.

Aircraft - Fuel - Jets forum group
This covers IC and turbine powered jets.

Good luck with the project
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,779 Posts
So the university must have some background experience here, if this is coming from above the prof. What have previous classes done? What school are you attending? Is this for the AIAA or SAE competitions?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
I'm not very knowledgrable when it comes to turbines. But given what little knowledge I might have I doubt that a four and a half pound airframe could support a turbine--at least any that I have seen over the years.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,779 Posts
Especially with a 2m span.
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread