HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Discussion
Sig Kadet Senoi- I could use a little help.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a used Kadet senior that was built from a kit. It has alerons that run almost the entire length of the trialling edge of the wing.
I had not flown a plane in 6 years. So I decided to let my instructor test fly the plane after checking it out on the ground. It flew a little tail heavy. But it spun the prop and the engine stalled. So the sort of the liong is that the instructor flew it into the building at the field.

The repairs needed are minor. I have repaired the fuselage.
The wing needs a few of the horizontal slatts the make the shape of the wing. It also needs a few inches of the leading edge of the wing replaced.
I was wondering if any one had a old set of plans laying around.

A high note for the day was, I flew the instructos trainer really well. Greased all my touch and go's. 8 mph cross wind. I forgot ho much fun this hobby is.
jespicer1 is offline Find More Posts by jespicer1
Last edited by jespicer1; Aug 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,689 Posts
You confuse me. Ailerons are on the trailing edge not the leading edge of the wings. I just think you got your orientation off a bit. Check out Balsa USA for wood, they have leading edges, etc. You may have to buy slabs in 1/8th or 3/16ths thickness to make your other parts. Measure thickness off old parts and order supplies. Wing spars run the length of the wing, maybe hard wood like pine but could be balsa. Replace in kind.

Slatts are used on the leading edge of a wing to enhance slow/low speed performance of the wing. I am sure you do not have any slatts. So your descriptive nomenclature is a little off. Time will fix that.

But again, repair and fix in kind, you can do it. Just takes patience.

Good luck.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Have bought the wood already. Not looking for generic bs answers. I need a little help from someone who has built one before. I really just need a set of plans.

Thanks in advance to those that can be helpful.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
I think he means "ribs" not slats. Copy the ones you need from the unbroken ones, or put a broken one back together. BTW, the KIT Senior does not have ailerons.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
I know the kit does not have alerons. I have done my research. Who ever built it added them. It has a 80 inch wing. With the wire landing gear. Which would make it the kit not the ARF. The ARF has a 78 inch wing. I am looking for a set of plans. A few ribs are broken as well as a 4 inch section of the leading edge of the wing.

I really just need a set of plans. I want to check the entire airframe. Just to make sure it was built correctly.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
The original builder used the "preferred" technique for adding ailerons to the Kadet Senior kit (per SIG builder's support staff Bob Nelson). I used the ARF aileron approach as a friend had a partially destroyed ARF wing that I could hack apart for the details.

Does yours have a single aileron servo or dual servos? Just curious.

Have you tried contacting SIG support to see if they sell plans? They don't offer them as a part as best I can determine from their "awkward" website.

I created a scaled image of the wings (with ARF ailerons) and fuse side. I can email them to you. PM me with your email address and I'll get them going (jpg & pdf). My plans? No telling? Gotta talk to the evil spiders that inhabit my basement.
SeamusG is offline Find More Posts by SeamusG
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:44 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,005 Posts
I can send you by snail mail a full sized copy of the rib pattern off my kit plans. PM your mailing address. Or if your in a hurry, I can email the two scans required (my scanner is limited to 12 inches) of the ribs and you can size them yourself.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:51 AM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I've had several Seniors, I prefer barn door ailerons but strips work fine too, they fly fine rudder only as well.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
How far behind the leading edge of the wing should the plane be balanced?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,005 Posts
On the front spar
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
That is what i thought. I just wanted to make sure.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Oct 2003
87 Posts
If you haven't received plans yet I have a photocopy of the outer ribs I can send you.
The inner ribs(Center and next two from center each way are different due to the sheeting)
Leading edge can be spliced with an overlapping joint of about 2". Cut out the back side of the Leading edge down the center and use the same size stock for the splice. Try making the spliced area so you attach it to a rib. Put painters tape over the original leading edge up to the splice. This will protect the shape of the original leading edge. Sand the spliced in piece to match the Leading edge. Leading edge was originally made from a 1/2" stick balsa stock

Steve
Funfly8 is offline Find More Posts by Funfly8