HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2003, 03:00 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Do I need to fly Both Ailerons & Rudder to do 3D?

I would like to get into flying 3D but my left hand is nowhere near as coordinated as my right hand. Does 3D flying involve both Rudder & Aileron? Can you fly 3D with just Aileron/Elevator or Rudder/Elevator?

-Thanks-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
Yes. Don't worry about it. It becomes second nature after a while. I'm always trying to use the left stick, even when I'm flying a 3 channel plane.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Nov 23, 2003, 03:49 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
That's the great thing about flying 3D...you will finally get to use all the sticks all the time!

I admit I was very weak in rudder skills when I started learning 3D...now I'm a lot better (still LOTS of room for improvement!!!!!!) but it gives me a sense of being a much more complete RC pilot.

It's a journey, not a destination.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Nov 23, 2003, 06:38 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fwilly
It becomes second nature after a while.
What they don't say, is how long "a while" is..

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffery
I admit I was very weak in rudder skills when I started learning 3D...now I'm a lot better (still LOTS of room for improvement!!!!!!)
Exactly. I built the 3DX because although my Super Diablotin is quite capable, the nut behind the gimbles isn't.. I only have about 10 flight on mine (although at >15 minutes, usually 20+ per flight, that's a LOT more stick time than any other model), I am actually getting close to being able to hover.

I'm not doing this to be able to hover, however, I'm doing it to become a much better all around pilot. Learning to correct the model in a hover is helping in other areas which need tons of improvement..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 23, 2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
It helps to have a durable plane with really bad adverse yaw. That helped me learn upright rudder real fast. Right now, I'm working on getting the rudder right when in an inverted harrier.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 08:18 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2003
2,116 Posts
Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle are all things you use when you fly 3D.

For hovering ailerons isn't a big deal, and for many, thats all 3D is.

For everything else, ailerons can play a big part in flying.

Steven
Shortman is offline Find More Posts by Shortman
Old Nov 24, 2003, 07:28 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I disagree on ailerons not being a big deal for hovering. My 3DX has the 'smaller' ailerons, and it is tough to hold it (prevent torque roll) without massive aileron movement. I am thinking of extending the ailerons to the 'update' size to help here..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 24, 2003, 07:33 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
The larger ailerons help. You can also tilt it a little off vertical to help prevent the roll.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:20 AM
PittsLover
Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
914 Posts
Jeffery.....

"It's a journey, not a destination."

Man, if only everyone would adopt that motto......our hobby.....and our lives......would be much better off.

You said a mouthfull with that statement !!

Jim
houfek is offline Find More Posts by houfek
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:23 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2003
2,116 Posts
Hovering is quite simple once you learn the basics. I realized as many do that over correcting always messes me up. Just focusing on the canopy and using a little elevator with slight rudder and you can keep it there for days hehehe.
Shortman is offline Find More Posts by Shortman