HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:00 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Another thought, if stuffing the wires in the arms, this frame would benefit from motors with long leads so you can run them straight through to the body and not have the lead connectors inside the arms.
Same for the tail servo. I'm looking at a lot of soldering to get a clean build.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:38 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Name: IMG_4938.jpg
Views: 273
Size: 250.6 KB
Description: Bare Frame assembled
Bare Frame completed

Name: IMG_4939.jpg
Views: 340
Size: 229.5 KB
Description: motor mount upside down to align the motor leads to the arms
you need to mount the motor plate upside down to align the motor leads to go into the arms

Name: IMG_4940.jpg
Views: 406
Size: 284.8 KB
Description: tail mechanism with selflocking nut and pivot
The Pivot goes in from the back of the mount and is shown incorrect on the assembly instructions

Name: IMG_4941.jpg
Views: 299
Size: 225.6 KB
Description: pivot block with arm sanded to fit
The front arms needs a light sanding to fit in the pivot blocks. Also, long motor leads would ease the running of the leads through the arms and the pivot mechanism.

Name: IMG_4942.jpg
Views: 275
Size: 224.0 KB
Description: love the carbon fiber body, very stiff, light too
Big body with room for ESCs, UBec, Power Distro, Receiver for a clean install

Name: IMG_4943.jpg
Views: 268
Size: 176.1 KB
Description: folded position
Folded frame, seems to work well, Curious to see how the hold slots of the 3 position pivot will affect the CG and flight characteristics and how will these slots hold up in a crash?

Name: IMG_4944.jpg
Views: 442
Size: 232.0 KB
Description: KK2 and power distribution mounted on nylon standoff 10mm
KK2 Installed and Power distribution underneath on nylon 10mm standoffs. Lots of space.

Name: IMG_4945.jpg
Views: 451
Size: 231.2 KB
Description: side shot of electronics, lots of room for ESCs, UBec, & Receiver for clean install
one more install shot.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:13 AM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Did any of you CA the plates together?
Also, what did you use the very small flat head Philips screws for, 4 of them, and the 2 tiny self locking nuts?
H
Hi H,

The set screws fit into the motor mounts to assist in preventing them slipping on harder landings, one is listed in the assembly of the right arm (near the 'rod') and pictured but not described in the tail assembly...

The philips screws, now there you got me no idea...

And no, no glueing with the servo plate....

The build continues
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly View Post
Hi H,

The set screws fit into the motor mounts to assist in preventing them slipping on harder landings, one is listed in the assembly of the right arm (near the 'rod') and pictured but not described in the tail assembly...

The philips screws, now there you got me no idea...

And no, no glueing with the servo plate....

The build continues
The set screws I got figured. If you can get the 4 tiny Philips screws into the servo arm, more power to you. They don't fit and likely to strip their heads trying to get them in there.
I installed my escs but ran into an issue. I want all 3esc to motor leads in the arms and I can't get the bullet connectors to pass the pivot pins.
Also I'm out of 14 gauge silicon wire too. I'm planning on extending the wires out of the motors, pass them to the body and solder on connectors. It will be clean, but a hell of a job to replace an arm. Still, I think it's worth the effort.

What servo are you going to use? The servo plate is cut for a 9g servo. I don't think that will hold up.
H
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:22 PM
skidding in the sky
Joined Jan 2010
985 Posts
I went the recommended TGY 306-G Digital servo, still waiting for ESC's and motors to arrive so as yet no test has begun.

I was getting curious as to how the 'ESC to motor wire game' was going to play out, those locking pins do pose a little 'management issue'.... hmm.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:18 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,710 Posts
Mine made it to Japan finally!

Thanks for the build logs and ideas. Looking forward to getting this one all set up and ready to fly. It's going to be my - fly at lunchtime - multirotor.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly View Post
I went the recommended TGY 306-G Digital servo, still waiting for ESC's and motors to arrive so as yet no test has begun.

I was getting curious as to how the 'ESC to motor wire game' was going to play out, those locking pins do pose a little 'management issue'.... hmm.
The servo plate is sized to a micro servo so you need to cut the carbon fiber plate. Not obvious or fun to do.
H
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:02 PM
skidding in the sky
Joined Jan 2010
985 Posts
H,

With the above mentioned servo I actually ended up disassembling the servo and reassembling it 'around' the plate, not recommended but quite doable, the up side is it ain't going anywhere
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:13 AM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
I was surprisingly impressed with that 306g servo. It is a mks copy but seems to be done right. It's quite strong and precise with good centering. My new favorite servo infact.
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:49 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Nice writeup shelterock.
Why didn't you flip the motor plate on the tail as well?
Isn't it possible to fit the female bullets one at a time through the boom block?
Mine still hasn't arrived, must have been held by customs.
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:21 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
Nice writeup shelterock.
Why didn't you flip the motor plate on the tail as well?
Isn't it possible to fit the female bullets one at a time through the boom block?
Mine still hasn't arrived, must have been held by customs.
I still might, but, the issue it could present is the pivot needs minimal resistance from the motor wires and once pushed into the arms, it may restrict the movement. I was thinking a wire loop of to the side to keep the action smooth and then in the arms. To be tested.

The female/male bullets go through the tail arm no problem. It's the front arms that have 2 pins running through them for the pivot mechanism that prevents 3.5mm bullets, male or female, to pass.
H
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdsracer View Post
I was surprisingly impressed with that 306g servo. It is a mks copy but seems to be done right. It's quite strong and precise with good centering. My new favorite servo infact.
Don,
Did you cut the servo plate to mount the FGY-306? I have a micro Digital MG EXI with 1.6Kg at 5V and 0.13 Sec to 60' that fits without cutting but I'm afraid it won't hold up. I'm going to try and see what happens
H
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Good to know, thank you.
I must have missed it but what setup are you running?
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:08 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo56 View Post
Good to know, thank you.
I must have missed it but what setup are you running?
I have NTM2826 1000kv with 3 or 4s options. 10 or 9 props on 3S or 9&8 inch props on 4S. F30a hobbyking escs with SimonK flashed firmware.
Kk2 but will go megapirateng with gps etc...
Gopro hd and or contourhd and working towards FPV. For future projects.
H
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:28 PM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Don,
Did you cut the servo plate to mount the FGY-306? I have a micro Digital MG EXI with 1.6Kg at 5V and 0.13 Sec to 60' that fits without cutting but I'm afraid it won't hold up. I'm going to try and see what happens
H
It was a tight fit and required some filing on the carbon mounting plate but didn't strike me as a big deal. Your 1.6kg servo might get pushed a little but should be ok unless you are using some big motors. I really like using a very high quality servo on Tri's just because they tend to get abused and are under constant load. Feel it out but you may want to upgrade in the future.
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member