HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:18 PM
Suppressed
United States, SC, North Charleston
Joined Nov 2012
303 Posts
So far i am loving it. I am running 12x4.5 inch props now. I have some 12x6 carbons coming in soon and will see how that goes. I am running two 3s 2600mah with my moderate FPV gear on it. I am getting around 13 to 15 min right now. I really just copied Auto XX power setup earlier in this thread. it definately has some pop to it when i hit the throttle now, fully loaded its up and gone in no time. After a full flight everything is still either cool or just slightly warm to the touch. Also I have the extended booms on mine.
murrelljimmy is online now Find More Posts by murrelljimmy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Revo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:23 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
i know shelterock has the distro board with bullets so i am awaiting his comment ,but thanks just the same .gonna look at your servo recommendation .

so that servo bolts right in?
I have a quad distro which is bolted on the bottom of the top plate with the mounting spacers for the kk2. Works but I think an xt60 plug with 4 power leads is easier to work with and less weight. I saw them on hobbyking with the multistar escs that came out. 3 leads for the motor and one to power LEDs etc... Or a Bec + filter for clean power to your FPV gear. I'm using the hk929mg servo. Fits and is cheaper. $6. 2.2kg and .11sec to 60'
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:31 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Those ntm sound bad. Not my experience. That's too bad. Sounds like bent shafts to me. They are only 3mm and pretty easy to bend in a crash. I'd replace the shafts for $4 before I'd junk em. Worth a try. Too bad it's Chinese New Year because you're weeks away from getting anything out of Hong Kong.
H
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:48 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,743 Posts
this has never been crashed .they been this way from day 1 .
helizrnew2me is online now Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:56 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
I have a quad distro which is bolted on the bottom of the top plate with the mounting spacers for the kk2. Works but I think an xt60 plug with 4 power leads is easier to work with and less weight.
I have the HK distro board mounted in the same way. 3 outputs for the escs and one with a parallel JST charge cable for LEDs and eventual vTx with 3.5mm bullets on the other end. It also has a pair of pins that fit a servo connector that I use for the KK2 voltage sensor. It's a tight fit between the frame plates which means the cable management isn't as neat as I'd prefer but it works and can easily be disassembeled or have components swapped out.
Invid is online now Find More Posts by Invid
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:39 AM
South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
this has never been crashed .they been this way from day 1 .
My 2826 1000Kv Ntm`s sound exactly the same as your`s - 2 were okay like the one you have, but after 5 flights they all have that whining noise. My rctimer and rcx motors also sounds the same as your`s - smooth.
I have ordered new bearings - so will see if they reduce that whining.
Bking1340 is offline Find More Posts by Bking1340
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:49 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,743 Posts
yeah ,its more like a crunchy sound .when powered up they spin fine ,but for how long ,only time will tell .post back up or pm me after you replace the bearings and let me know the results .
helizrnew2me is online now Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid View Post
I have the HK distro board mounted in the same way. 3 outputs for the escs and one with a parallel JST charge cable for LEDs and eventual vTx with 3.5mm bullets on the other end. It also has a pair of pins that fit a servo connector that I use for the KK2 voltage sensor. It's a tight fit between the frame plates which means the cable management isn't as neat as I'd prefer but it works and can easily be disassembeled or have components swapped out.
That's exactly what I did, ease to switch out and disassemble for repairs or changing components.all the wires run through the center hole and the ESC lay flat around the board.
H
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
there were some questions about the distribution board, the escs, whether there was enough room, and also a tail servo. I'm a bit late but here's how I did it:

after the 306 failed on me I am using this one without any issues. Not as much torque as the 306 but at least it won't crash from destroying itself.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23467

rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Hi All,

Just want to say I'm building my first tricopter using this Turnigy Talon frame. I realize this frame may not be the best for a multi-rotor beginner, but I plan to take it slow and get help along the way. I've also bought spare arms and props for the inevitable crashes.

Here's my parts list:
  • Frame: Turnigy Talon Tricopter (V1.0) Carbon Fiber Frame
  • Motors: NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250
  • NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack
  • Tail Servo: TGY-306G Ultra Fast/High Torque MG Digital Alloy Cased Servo
  • Thrust Bearing 3x8x3.5mm (2pcs/bag)
  • Turnigy Battery Strap 330mm
  • Turnigy Talon Tricopter (V1.0) - Screw Sets (extras)
  • Turnigy Talon Tricopter (V1.0) - Carbon Fiber Tube (3pcs - extras)
  • Power Distribution: XT60 to 6 X 3.5mm bullet Multistar ESC Power Breakout Cable
  • ESCs: Hobby King 20A ESC 3A UBEC
  • Receiver: FrSky D4R-II 4ch 2.4Ghz ACCST Receiver (w/telemetry)
  • Hex locknuts M5 10pc
  • 3.5mm 3 wire Bullet-connector for motor (5pairs/bag) 1 IN STOCK
  • 10x4.5 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Orange)
  • Slow Fly Electric Prop 1045SF (4 pc)

I think I've got everything I need. I'll be using my Turnigy 9x transmitter with FrSky module and I've got some 2200mAh and 3000mAh batteries. Also already have a KK2. Any idea on how this prop/motor combination will do on 3S?
RadioNick is offline Find More Posts by RadioNick
Last edited by RadioNick; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:42 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNick View Post
Hi All,

Just want to say I'm building my first tricopter using this Turnigy Talon frame. I realize this frame may not be the best for a multi-rotor beginner, but I plan to take it slow and get help along the way. I've also bought spare arms and props for the inevitable crashes.

Here's my parts list:
  • Power Distribution: XT60 to 6 X 3.5mm bullet Multistar ESC Power Breakout Cable
  • Hex locknuts M5 10pc

I think I've got everything I need. I'll be using my Turnigy 9x transmitter with FrSky module and I've got some 2200mAh and 3000mAh batteries. Also already have a KK2. Any idea on how this prop/motor combination will do on 3S?
Hi Nick,
nice list. loos like you have everything needed with some redundancy.
Are you using ER9x firmware in the 9X. I enjoy it very much and setting up the 3pos Switch with three levels of Dual Rate and expo is a great way to start of slow. I run the 1000kV version and they perform ok. The frame at 221mm arms doesn't like props bigger than the 10x4.5 you ordered. If you build it light you'll be good with 9" props too. The Multistar distro wires is a good choice.
I look forward to seeing some pics of your build.
H
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:08 AM
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Hi Nick,
nice list.
Thanks for commenting on my build list. I am running er9x on my Turnigy 9x, so I should have plenty of flexibility in programming.

Regarding weight, I plan to start light - but will eventually be doing some FPV and aerial photography. I suppose I can always use 4S batteries or get the longer arms and bigger props if I need more thrust.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:12 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNick View Post
Hi All,

Here's my parts list:
  • Hex locknuts M5 10pc

Find a cheaper and better servo than the 306. They really don't like crashes. Try a Savox 0257MG or one of the $20 Turnigy servos mentioned a couple of pages back.
I already killed 1 with a crash which probably would have killed any servo but I had one let go in flight too.
If you've bought it already then it works well but be sure to check after a hard landing.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:17 AM
Suppressed
United States, SC, North Charleston
Joined Nov 2012
303 Posts
I second that on the servo get anything else other than the 306. Its going to do nothing but give you a headache. If you are dead set on that servo then go ahead and buy two because you will need it.
murrelljimmy is online now Find More Posts by murrelljimmy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Revo
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrelljimmy View Post
I second that on the servo get anything else other than the 306. Its going to do nothing but give you a headache. If you are dead set on that servo then go ahead and buy two because you will need it.
Thanks for the heads up! I've already made my Hobby King order, but I'll keep in mind that this servo may not last - that's too bad for the price.