HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:28 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,024 Posts
Vibration Isolation

I have tried a few things to remove vibration and jello from my GoPro footage with the talon tri frame. One of the best solutions was using these silicone vibe isolators from GetFPV.com http://www.getfpv.com/accessories-47...c-bobbins.html

However, I have come up with a solution using a 2nd cam plate for the talon. I know this idea isn't new to multis but it works amazing! I mounted both my battery and the GoPro to the same plates and the added mass removes all vibes.

First test resulted in super smooth video. Will post a full length video once I go out and do some FPV.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:45 AM
Norway, Sogn og Fjordane, Askvoll
Joined Aug 2012
90 Posts
Nice! It looks great!

Mic
Bigmic is online now Find More Posts by Bigmic
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:18 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,901 Posts
hi, i read every page in this thread since yesterday and i am very interested in this tri ,i have a few questions .

i see some have motors on top the mounts and some beneath .which is better and why?
doesnt having the motor beneath put the props too close to the arms?effecting prop wash?

is it totally necessary to flip the mounts to route the wires thru the arms?

i seen one person mention that due to the flipped mount his motor screws went in too far and hit a winding ,how has this been addressed?

you guys with the ntm 1000`s are you wishing you would have went with the 1200`s?

i have ntm 1200`s (2826) on my tbs discovery and its a ok motor but kinda noisy ,like junk bearings .
my rctimer 1300`s run way smoother on my djif450 quad .

i see the 306 servo been failing everybody so whats the best replacement?

i so want one of these ,might have to sell a quad to fund one .

lots of questions i know ,thanks in advance.....
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
hi, i read every page in this thread since yesterday and i am very interested in this tri ,i have a few questions .

i see some have motors on top the mounts and some beneath .which is better and why?
doesnt having the motor beneath put the props too close to the arms?effecting prop wash?

is it totally necessary to flip the mounts to route the wires thru the arms?

i seen one person mention that due to the flipped mount his motor screws went in too far and hit a winding ,how has this been addressed?

you guys with the ntm 1000`s are you wishing you would have went with the 1200`s?

i have ntm 1200`s (2826) on my tbs discovery and its a ok motor but kinda noisy ,like junk bearings .
my rctimer 1300`s run way smoother on my djif450 quad .

i see the 306 servo been failing everybody so whats the best replacement?

i so want one of these ,might have to sell a quad to fund one .

lots of questions i know ,thanks in advance.....
I'm the fool who ruined his motors with too long screws. I used F550 Hexa motor mounting screws on this unit instead of the NTM mounitng screws. My bad. Just cautioning others to pay attention.
The motor mount screw holes are oriented in suvch a way, with the motors on top, that the wires line up at 90' to the arms. By reversing the mount you get the alignment right and with the original NTM motor mounting screws it works perfectly. No issue.
I think the rotational forces would be better if the motors were mounted underneath, but, then you need to use a collect style prop adapter rather then the 3 screw prop adapter that sits on top of the can. NTM motors don't have a flatspot on the shaft, those collects work well but require a little more force to tighten, also they sit on a 3 or 3.17mm shaft that is easier to bend in a crash than the 5mm prop adapter mounted to the can. I went with the NTM 2826 1000kV to run 3 or 4S. 1300kV may be too much on 4S depending on the motor specs. I would run the RCtimers on 3S with 9" props.

The broken tail servo seems reoccuring theme. The tail with the motor mounted up high will put greater leverage on the servo because the weight is further away from the servo arm center. With the motor mounted from underneath you would have the can closer to the servo, the prop and collet/adapter above and somewhat counterbalance the twisting force or at least reduce it.
The 306 is nice except in a crash. Any digital servo will do the trick. I have a Solar Servo from Hobbypartz, the 306 and 922 MG from HK. I think 1.4+kg force is plenty. You can work with Analogs too, depending on your flight contoller, now that KK2 has a servo signal filter to remove the tail servo jitter. Go cheap. Speed is not the ultimate goal. In fact, slow is smoother and If you like onboard video, analog will be friendlier than the steroid injected digital servo, in my opinion. The whole digital / Analog debate was due to the KK2 not having a low pass filter.

All the above considerations matter when you crash. If you don't, I think there's less concern. I crash, ever happened to you? Happened to me!

H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,901 Posts
i run 8 x4.5 on my rctimer 1300`s and i run 3s and 4s on them .they are plenty fast on both cell counts .honestly never tried 9`s on that frame(dji f450)just have not felt the need .

the ntm 1200`s on my discovery run better on 4s obviously but i can still hover very near half stick on a 3s with 9x4.7`s on that frame .to me the ntm`s are noisy in comparison to my rctimer`s. i have flashed esc`s on both .

i foresee a talon tri in my near future .just love the look of it and it can carry a gopro (bonus!)
just looking at it lends me to believe keeping orientation is much easier .
love the work the guy done with the bobbins and the gopro mount too .who wants to buy my x400 and get me on my way?lol......

ps- i crash.you crash ,we all crash......crash costs cash.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:57 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
663 Posts
I agree with Shelterock on the servo. I tried a a digital on the tail and had terrible vibes. Much of that was due to the sloppy tail mechanism that I fixed with the addition of spare thrust bearings from my Blade 450X (were a perfect fit). Seriously, if there is one mod you do on the copter, that's the one. I fully expect to see them added to the V2 Tricopter design as they are essential. I had a couple of servos burn themselves out from the constant vibrations prior to adding them, and they are worth a special order if you haven't done the mod yet. Very cheap insurance to prolong the life of whichever servo you choose.

After burning out my last spare digital servo (my 306 had already sheared its output shaft in a light crash) I did the thrust bearing mod and I put on a dirt cheap MG90S analog ($20 for 4 on Ebay) and it performs great with filtering set to 75 on the KK2. I fly with a cam so the slightly slower response is actually a plus. This thing is not a heli and doesn't need to respond like one to fly great, especially with a cam on it.

I'm also flying NTM 2826 motors and APC 9 x 4.7 props and the performance is decent on 3S, not as good as the 10 x 4.7 GemFans I had on before, but much less likely to break than those were, and quieter too. I had one GemFan let go in flight and that's it for me. I've got a GoPro H3S on the nose and it's not worth the risk. They break if they hit anything at all too. I'm going to try the GemFan 10 x 4 wood multirotor props and we'll see how they perform. They look fantastic, so I hope they fly well, especially at those prices. Reports say they come very close to balanced out of the box and they resist flex (and hence, vibrations) very well too.

Finishing touches are a black delrin KK2 case sold by a poster here on RCG (en route) and then my video TX gear in time for the nice weather. My helis get no love lately

That's a lot of typing to say...get the Talon, it's a great platform, and after fixing the tail mechanism, it's a fantastic design too. I love tricopters, but if I were to do a quad, the TBS Discovery is the one I'd go for myself. Looks beautiful and seems to be a solid FPV platform.
Invid is offline Find More Posts by Invid
Last edited by Invid; Feb 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:15 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
For me, the real win on this deal is its portability. The Tri packs down nicely and can be hauled about with minimum effort to fly anywhere there is space.
It's not like quads which are either long when folded or have bits sticking out all over!
(I have no car and don't care for being stared at on the train!)
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:49 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,901 Posts
thanks for the input guys ,i for sure want one .just a matter of when .winter is down time for me and we get no tax refund here (we pay in)so funds are tight .

thinking of letting the x400 go but then i fire it up and well you know.......its my beat around quad .not that i beat on it but if i am gonna crash anything i rather it be that .
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,901 Posts
couple more questions

if i use the power distro board with built in bullet connectors will there still be enough room to hide the esc`s in there??(shelterock please comment)

i do not want to waste 23.00 bucks on that 306 tail servo ......

so what hobbyking servo is a good replacement ?something that bolts right in please.

how are you guys extending the leads thru the booms?
making your own extensions?
buying ready made(hk only has 200mm extensions which i dont think are long enough)

i am putting a cart together so ............thanks
Last edited by helizrnew2me; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:02 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,024 Posts
Quote:
couple more questions

if i use the power distro board with built in bullet connectors will there still be enough room to hide the esc`s in there??(shelterock please comment)

i do not want to waste 23.00 bucks on that 306 tail servo ......

so what hobbyking servo is a good replacement ?something that bolts right in please.

how are you guys extending the leads thru the booms?
making your own extensions?
buying ready made(hk only has 200mm extensions which i dont think are long enough)

i am putting a cart together so ............thanks
I soldered together bullet connectors and then wrapped them in heat shrink, like I did on my quads:

I am using this servo currently: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14279

I soldered new leads onto my ESCs to fit the length of my arms.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,901 Posts
i know shelterock has the distro board with bullets so i am awaiting his comment ,but thanks just the same .gonna look at your servo recommendation .

so that servo bolts right in?
Last edited by helizrnew2me; Feb 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:00 PM
Suppressed
United States, GA, Guyton
Joined Nov 2012
426 Posts
Quote:
i know shelterock has the distro board with bullets so i am awaiting his comment ,but thanks just the same .gonna look at your servo recommendation .

so that servo bolts right in?
I have the distro board with the 3.5 bullets, 3 rctimer 40amp ESC, also a turnigy rc switch to turn on and off my boom light from the tx with all wiring between both plates no problem, a little tight in some places but no problem. I extended my motor wires and put bullets on the end where they come in the frame so i can disassemble everything without having to pull out my soldering gun. So even with all those connectors between the plates everything still fits fine. I also have a few small wires and connectors between them for my video Tx, and my satellite antenna from my Rx.
murrelljimmy is offline Find More Posts by murrelljimmy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 Quad
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,901 Posts
thanks jimmy ,i am uploading a couple videos ,one for the ntm motors and one for the rctimer motors ,i want you guys to hear the difference in these motors .
i am not so sure i want to go with the ntm`s again .
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
Suppressed
United States, GA, Guyton
Joined Nov 2012
426 Posts
Quote:
thanks jimmy ,i am uploading a couple videos ,one for the ntm motors and one for the rctimer motors ,i want you guys to hear the difference in these motors .
i am not so sure i want to go with the ntm`s again .
Not sure i want to hear that since i have the NTM's 35-36 910kv motors. I already put more money in this project than I should of. I pulled money from an already ongoing project to build this.
murrelljimmy is offline Find More Posts by murrelljimmy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 Quad
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,901 Posts
if you already have the ntm`s and they are working good then no need to worry until they fail .mine are working but i swear 3 of the 4 could be alot smoother(noisy bearings).
and a couple feel like theres some play in the can ,you will hear it in my video . coming soon.

ps-3536 thats a 3s only motor .how you like it?you run 10inch props on that?

ok ,here we go .listen to these ntm motors ,i swear 3 of the 4 got noisy bearings and loose cans .not sure i want to gamble on these again .

ntm 2826 1200 kv motors (1 min 14 sec)

now listen to the rctimer 2830 1300`s.nice and smooth in comparison .

rctimer 2830 1300 kv motors (0 min 43 sec)
Last edited by helizrnew2me; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:00 PM.