HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:47 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dworf View Post
anyone going with the NTM 2826 1000KV? with 3S what do you guys think compared to 1200KV and 750KV?
I have the 2826 1000kv and going with 8x4.5 Gemfans on 4S. Turnigy data shows a potent 8 or 9 inch prop on 4S is doable, reliable I hope. I have F30A esc with simonk fw.

I've had some issue with NTM prop adapters being out of balance...

Quad power distribution board with a connection for a BEC to power the board and ultimately other FPV devices.
HK came out with a 3 in 1 UBEC, low voltage alarm, battery charge indicator and bright LED for 2-6S 5amp setups.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arm_3_6S_.html

Any thoughts on what Flight controller other than a KK2 you might be trying?

H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:33 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly View Post
Rob,
I got a bag of 10x4.5's & I'm going with the NTM 2830 750kv's on 3S I'm hoping that's enough, might have to look at 4S'ing up, what do you think? underpowered?
WO

A 2830-750 aye :-) 3S will get you going, you can 4S it later!
The thing will go good with 1147, and like thwaitm says 1045 good too. I have 1147 on DT750's on my original Tri (cf. Mongrel's) and seen that combo run great on the Flitetest H quad.

One thing to keep in mind is you need at least one prop diameter between props and on this Tri you will definitely have that.

Which end will you mount the prop on?

Prop Adapters running off the shaft can be a right pain to balance with. (I have MultiWiiCopter 775kv Carbonbird motors on another quad but find the Prop Adapters a real pain to mount straight.)

IMO using the Prop Assy Pack's adapter mounted the bell to be best.
dhdsracer uses that setup in his video.
Keeps your motors more above the dirt too.

See its a bit windy in Melbourne :-)

Rob
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:44 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
I have the 2826 1000kv and going with 8x4.5 Gemfans on 4S. Turnigy data shows a potent 8 or 9 inch prop on 4S is doable, reliable I hope. I have F30A esc with simonk fw.

I've had some issue with NTM prop adapters being out of balance...

Quad power distribution board with a connection for a BEC to power the board and ultimately other FPV devices.
HK came out with a 3 in 1 UBEC, low voltage alarm, battery charge indicator and bright LED for 2-6S 5amp setups.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arm_3_6S_.html

Any thoughts on what Flight controller other than a KK2 you might be trying?

H
Hi shelterock

Since you mentioned the simonk fw - do you find that upgrade makes much difference? I've been thinking about it, and now HK has a nice Firmware Flashing device I might give it a go if it is worth it.

And on the subject of controllers, I use a MultiWiiCopter board with a baro - and goes great (Excellent Level even on Gyros only!).

But don't look now - HK have just added another controller and GPS to their New Items list!

Rob
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:18 PM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,037 Posts
Rob,

I had bell mounted the props previously on the NTM's with the Talon V2, was going that route again due to the MM being the same config, and hey, why make more work

But... Even mounting them up there I find I can still squeeze dirt into them when I really try

So I went the right way when I added a few bags of the 1145's to the order (just in case), thanks also for the '1 prop rule' hadn't heard that before, will add it to the 'knowledge base'

And yes enough wind for me to have been able to get all my aircraft fixed , Now all I want to do is take them out and break em' again
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post
Hi shelterock

Since you mentioned the simonk fw - do you find that upgrade makes much difference? I've been thinking about it, and now HK has a nice Firmware Flashing device I might give it a go if it is worth it.

And on the subject of controllers, I use a MultiWiiCopter board with a baro - and goes great (Excellent Level even on Gyros only!).

But don't look now - HK have just added another controller and GPS to their New Items list!

Rob
Hi Rob,
yes, I think they are worth the effort. Much better stability and fine response with a little expo.
In this video I show the flashing cable I built with 2 servo leads and a row of pin headers.
Hexacopter Maiden KK2 + SimonK F30a & NTM2826 1000kv (4 min 29 sec)

I saw the HK Pro Multiwii GPS for $65. Was going to buy but back ordered already.
H
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:01 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Nice video shelterock. Sorry to read about flight #3.

Anyway, I've been reading this thread and am thinking about getting one of these Talon Tri-copter frames. I want something a little less expensive than my YSiix Copta to fly around for practicing more agressive flight manuevers, like flips and rolls, and low and fast FPV. This looks like a perfect airframe for that. Heck, at this price I might buy a second frame just for parts.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:01 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
My frame has made it to the great state of NY. Not my house yet, but after a tracking number with no action on it since Aug 31st, its almost here!

Power distribution arrived too so I'm close to starting a build.

Anyone got theirs yet?
H
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
Nice video shelterock. Sorry to read about flight #3.

Anyway, I've been reading this thread and am thinking about getting one of these Talon Tri-copter frames. I want something a little less expensive than my YSiix Copta to fly around for practicing more agressive flight manuevers, like flips and rolls, and low and fast FPV. This looks like a perfect airframe for that. Heck, at this price I might buy a second frame just for parts.

Doug
Yeah, Flight #3 was a flame out shall we say. I'm using 3 of the less burnt F30A escs flashed with SimonK in this build.
Have you seen anyone convert the Talon frame motor mounts into a Y6 or Y4 setup? I'd like to see that. I'm also going to order the 320mm Carbon Talon tubes and upsize the frame to 320mm tail and 255mm forearms. More stability.
H
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Have you seen anyone convert the Talon frame motor mounts into a Y6 or Y4 setup? I'd like to see that.H
This is the HK Talon Hexa modified to an Y6:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674125

But I guess you could do the same with the Talon Tri? My Talon Tri is on it's way to Norway. And one of my plans is to study the possibilities for upgrading it to an Y6 at some point.
eirikso is online now Find More Posts by eirikso
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:28 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikso View Post
This is the HK Talon Hexa modified to an Y6:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674125

But I guess you could do the same with the Talon Tri? My Talon Tri is on it's way to Norway. And one of my plans is to study the possibilities for upgrading it to an Y6 at some point.
I think the Talon frame would make a better Y6. More room for the 6 ESCs, wiring, battery, etc. Plus the Talon frame makes it easier to mount your camera farther forward to get those nasty props out of the video.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:25 AM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Talon Tri

Just ordered mine, with a KK2 and all the trimmings.
Should be a bit quicker to build than my original scratch built tri.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727979 Had to design and engineer all the bits myself.
Only a year or so later and you can buy all the bits and purpose built controllers off the shelf for next to nought.
I'm planning on running the same power system in the Talon, but I do have some 3 bladed props I've been meaning to try (or should I say 'tri' ?)
More to come when the boxes arrive and the build commences....
Stretch1 is offline Find More Posts by Stretch1
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,037 Posts
Mines landed, waiting for some bits but basic assembly has started.

Rob so far so good, I've decided to add a little epoxy to the tail assemblies ball joints, this alloy is a little soft from experience and I'm hoping this will be the last I have to think about them.
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:53 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
My Tri has arrived, can't wait to start building. I'm contemplating a Y6 and a NAZA GPS setup with longer arms too. The Core of this frame is really what I wanted and seems to have enough real estate to do a clean build. H
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:47 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Got mine yesterday and built it last night. The front arms need a little sanding to go in the pivot mounting block. I jamed one in and it will kill me to get it out once I break it. The other sanded one should come out easily. The tail section indeed has the error in the instructions, where the pivot has to go in from the boom side and not in from the motor mount. The stock hobbyking photo shows the self locking nut on the motor mount side correctly. There is no slope depending on how tight you make the nut. I may add a nylon washer in front of the nut to improve smoothness of the tail.
It will be problematic to get the motor leads through the front arms as the pivot mechanism goes through the entrance of the arm.
The tail sections can accommodate the leads and possibly the servo lead.
Plenty of room in the body for escs, power distribution and more.
I'll post pics after my morning cup of tea.
The servo plate needed a little sanding to fit together with the rear legs.
Did any of you CA the plates together?
Also, what did you use the very small flat head Philips screws for, 4 of them, and the 2 tiny self locking nuts?
H
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:53 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
The arm length is 221mm same as the talon quad. The front arms have a groove cutout for the pivot locking mechanism. All 3 arms are the same length so you could replace them with talon 221mm arms or stretch the tri with the 320mm arms. You do need to cut out the pivot grooves for the front arms. They should have designed that mechanism independently of the carbon arms. I'd have designed it into the mounting block making arm replacement much easier.
H