HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:11 AM
South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Flight time

Good day all
My tri are flying great\smooth. 800 grams without lipo (992g with lipo), Ntm 2826 1000kv 315watt, KK2 ver 1.4, 10x4.7 Apc`s, simonk 30A esc`s, about 6 minutes on 2200 40c 3s Voltz lipo`s - Hovering at about 55-60% throttle.
My problem is if I install a old sony cam (201 grams) my flight time drops to 3 minutes from 6 (about 2 house roofs high = 85-90% throttle). I`m in the process of ordering a gopro 3 which weigh in at +-95g, but will use it with the casing which will be a bit heavier. How can I increase my flight times?
I have a few options: Ordered 4x rcx 2830 1300kv 220 watt motors - http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-c283009-...ts-p-5802.html - can use this maybe on 9x4.7 apc`s? Or I can order higher mah 3s lipo`s or go 4s, but don`t know which mah to go with and with what motors?
Want to go with 6-7 minutes with the extra weight (will also install fpv gear later on)
Your help will be appreciated.
Bking1340 is offline Find More Posts by Bking1340
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:47 AM
thump thump thump
Canada
Joined Oct 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Have a peek at my order list from HK. Its my first Multicopter build so it should be equal parts super fun and challenging.
It will run on 3s to be compatible with my FS FPV equipment.
In the meantime I'm practicing flying with a tiny Ladybird

So Its come along way but is still not finished, I've hovered for about 1/2 hour in testing. stick scaling is good but it doesnt seem to like any I gain at all. when hovering and ascending its fine but while in descent it wobbles mostly by the front right motor overcorrecting. Threw a blade yesterday for no reason, -20 and cheap plastic dont mix i guess luckily i was only 2 feet off the ground, missed my eye by about a foot but sounded neat, flew straight and didnt tumble, ended up in my neighbors yard 40feet away . safety glasses are now in my kit.

Mods include the thrust washer tail (how would it fly without?)
the HK600 skid gear, I have some slow -mo of them soaking up a hardlanding. I havent weighed it yet but its pushing the type design
Hovers at 18.6 amps at about 50% throttle. 1047 props seem a match for 3s. NTM-1200kv are cool running but have bad vibrations before balancing and one had a bent Bell.
Trying to upgrade KK2 to 1.5 but am having problems with the USBASP driver, Usbkey keeps turning on and off repeatedly, it might be faulty.
FPV Video is good but its much harder to fly than a plane and I have not been successful yet. 12$ HK gimbal looks like it will fit nicely with a little finesse.
nothingman is offline Find More Posts by nothingman
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:02 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking1340 View Post
Good day all
My tri are flying great\smooth. 800 grams without lipo (992g with lipo), Ntm 2826 1000kv 315watt, KK2 ver 1.4, 10x4.7 Apc`s, simonk 30A esc`s, about 6 minutes on 2200 40c 3s Voltz lipo`s - Hovering at about 55-60% throttle.
My problem is if I install a old sony cam (201 grams) my flight time drops to 3 minutes from 6 (about 2 house roofs high = 85-90% throttle). I`m in the process of ordering a gopro 3 which weigh in at +-95g, but will use it with the casing which will be a bit heavier. How can I increase my flight times?
I have a few options: Ordered 4x rcx 2830 1300kv 220 watt motors - http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-c283009-...ts-p-5802.html - can use this maybe on 9x4.7 apc`s? Or I can order higher mah 3s lipo`s or go 4s, but don`t know which mah to go with and with what motors?
Want to go with 6-7 minutes with the extra weight (will also install fpv gear later on)
Your help will be appreciated.
Bking,
The way to go with 10x4.7sf with 1000kV is 4S.
The problem with 4S is the flex in the props that send vibs to kk2.
4s delivers higher Rpms.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:01 PM
South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Okay I know I will get higher rpm with 4s and more lift. Must I rather stay with 3s and install the 1300kv motors with smaller props and about 3000mah 3s lipo? - don`t want vibration issues.
Bking1340 is offline Find More Posts by Bking1340
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:44 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking1340 View Post
Okay I know I will get higher rpm with 4s and more lift. Must I rather stay with 3s and install the 1300kv motors with smaller props and about 3000mah 3s lipo? - don`t want vibration issues.
There's not much you can do. More Rpms with same setup or larger props. Either will give more lift. The escs and motors will handle 3-4S and weight is the enemy. I'd go to 4S and see what you get. Larger props will overwhelm the 221mm arms. 380mm arms could handle 12-13" props. I don't know what amp draw you'll face. Smaller higher rpm props will give more lift and less flex. You're kind of turning around the overall dilemma of the balance in battery, motor kv prop size and performance. The 30a escs have head room. Currently 18a draw is divided by 3 Motors. So you can push up the amps with bigger props or higher voltage.
H
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:59 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Hovers at 18.6 amps at about 50% throttle. 1047 props seem a match for 3s. NTM-1200kv are cool running but have bad vibrations before balancing and one had a bent Bell.
Best thing you can do for vibes is lose the NTM 2826 prop spinners. I put on 5mm lock nuts instead and that solved 95% of my jello problems. Those spinners are seriously unbalanced and not worth the trouble.

Thrust bearing mod is essential too. I had bad tail vibes until I controlled the slop in my tail and I'm pretty sure that's the primary cause of a burned out tail servo. The tail geometry's not great, but not nearly bad enough on its own to kill a servo that isn't crashed.

Got my gopro mounted and just waiting for the budget to allow for a pair of FS Attitudes and I'll try my hand at FPV. Running 3S 2200 singly or in parallel with 10x5 SF Gemfan props. Got some Graupner APC 9x4.7s on the way to test and see which I prefer. No extra skids as I think I'm pushing it on weight as is.
Invid is offline Find More Posts by Invid
Last edited by Invid; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:21 PM
Lauderdale
Joined Aug 2009
95 Posts
Where would you mount a DL ant. on this? and a 1.3 Windmill? Just looking for Ideas.

Thx
Sean
NillSpace is offline Find More Posts by NillSpace
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:01 PM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Hello everybody! I am just trying to browse through this thread but the pages are really many.
I was wondering, is anyone willing to share their build list with me? I am keen on buying this frame but I would like to have possibly at least a 4s setup, with extremely long flight times.
Also, with a complete fpv system and as I read from many here, the Arduino Pilot system.
Many thanks for your patience and contributions!
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:03 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Superfly. View Post
Hello everybody! I am just trying to browse through this thread but the pages are really many.
I was wondering, is anyone willing to share their build list with me? I am keen on buying this frame but I would like to have possibly at least a 4s setup, with extremely long flight times.
Also, with a complete fpv system and as I read from many here, the Arduino Pilot system.
Many thanks for your patience and contributions!
Ntm2826 1000kv I'm mildly pleased with these motors. Accessory pack creates unbalanced setup wobble. Switch prop but with 5mm nut with nylon locker.
Use 18 gauge wire and i think with amp draw in the 7-10 amp max you could use 2mm bullet connectors. They pass through the pivot points making repairs quicker.
Esc f30a light blue from hobbyking with SimonK firmware. Overkill get an 18-20amp esc.
Get the 3 in one connector from hobbyking to xt60 to power the escs instead of a distro board. Save weight and space in the body.
You can get a quad lead if you want to power other components.
Servo extension lead for tail servo. Receiver to flight controller lead on kk2 board.
That's basics. FPV depends on budget. Fatshark attitude ad package and gopro connection lead with spiro antena package from ready made rc or hobbyking would get you in the air for 300-400 meters. You'd want a separate battery for the transmitter side (noise) and you can go off the deep end with a ground station and diversity receivers etc... Budget?
H
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:05 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
There is no such thing as extremely long flight times on multies. They don't glide like a plane. There is a thread on rcgroups on long duration multi rotors and it is expensive and highly experimental. Figure 10 min on big craft and 6-8 min on lightweight craft. Hovering for longer but boring. Fast flight will eat mAh.
H
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:38 PM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jan 2008
252 Posts
hey shelter, paid 140, i think shipping was 20. i do wish the packaging was better though... they used a padded envelope and no boxes around the parts (yippie).

i really should fire it up and see if it works because the envelope was partially ripped open.
jeffyd123 is offline Find More Posts by jeffyd123
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:45 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyd123 View Post
hey shelter, paid 140, i think shipping was 20. i do wish the packaging was better though... they used a padded envelope and no boxes around the parts (yippie).

i really should fire it up and see if it works because the envelope was partially ripped open.
Probably a good idea. Good luck buy is the same way. Frustrating. I'm curious if the kit is the same as from DIY drones.
50 mph winds in NY today. No flying despite the 50f weather.
H
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:41 AM
Norway, Sogn og Fjordane, Askvoll
Joined Aug 2012
90 Posts
Low-light FPV-Flight at -17 deg Celsius with:

Talon 1.0 Tricopter
Spectrum TX/RX-System
RedRock Motors 1000kV powered with 3S / 2200mAh
KK2 FlightControler
1.4 FW by KapteinKuk in SL-Mode
Blue-Series 20 A - flushed with SimonK FW
Video Tx 800mW
Video RX 2x 1,3 GHz with Eagle-Eyes diversity
1x Patch + 1x Omni Antenna on V-Rx
GoPro3 Black Edition at 1280x720 - 120fps

sNoWsToRm (FPV Flight) (4 min 22 sec)
Bigmic is offline Find More Posts by Bigmic
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:06 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
I can finally resume my Tricopter build! I decided to get a new radio, so I didn't want to calibrate my ESCs to my old radio, and then have to set it all up again. But lookie what arrived today!!!
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:23 PM
thump thump thump
Canada
Joined Oct 2012
91 Posts
That was some cold weather, How do you protect the FC, Ive packed mine up with snow twice now and had to use a hairdrier to dry it out.
Do you take off with your goggles on or do you line of sight until you've got some altitude?
Having trouble with my FPV takeoff
nothingman is offline Find More Posts by nothingman