HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:19 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,964 Posts
Oh! I didn't know you could see that... interesting.
But it looks like we're about due for another delivery... they appear to be in stock in other warehouses though... slightly more expensive but not massively. Better than buying non-flashable stuff and then having to buy other stuff anyway..
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:52 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
Did you guys see this new esc that's supposed to accept simonK and the price is really good. They sold out fast though.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:58 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Did you guys see this new esc that's supposed to accept simonK and the price is really good. They sold out fast though.
i dont think they're that great. P/N Fets i believe. The F-20A is all N-Fets and cheaper.
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:15 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
I was waiting so long for either those or the HK blue to come back I ended up paying more and getting the Mystery blue series 20A's.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:50 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,174 Posts
Quote:
I was waiting so long for either those or the HK blue to come back I ended up paying more and getting the Mystery blue series 20A's.
+1 those are very good ESCs. Very good design like the F-20A
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jan 2008
252 Posts
wow, thanks for the info everyone.... Im likely going to order 40A ESCs so they run cooler (and take the extra weight aloft). Im trying to copy AutoXX's build.

So Should I order F-40s, mystery, or wait for the HK Blues to come back (if ever)

Im also wondering if SimonK's firmware is really worth it (and just use the plush's) although Ive read it is many times by guys who know.

Thanks

Jeff
jeffyd123 is offline Find More Posts by jeffyd123
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:34 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
UGH just lost a thumbscrew!!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:49 PM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,108 Posts
the auminium stand offs for the tail boom are optional quick fixes, I've lost 2 of them now, if you find a better option, let us know, I'm looking for a better solution, but for now the standoff/spacers with a washer are keeping me in the air...
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:49 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Aug 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
UGH just lost a thumbscrew!!
...I'm missing a ball link !

I remember the bag beeing opened and the pieces all over the box when I opened it ... and *one* single ball link is missing

oh well
Mrhide is offline Find More Posts by Mrhide
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:14 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
I took a 2nd one off.. put the 2 remaining ones on the bottom. Then on the top I put the thumbscrew part from an RCBooya canopy mount for a trex500 that I never used. Works well.

I temporarily used my blade balancer thumbscrews. They are narrower where they contact the carbon but the larger diameter thumb part makes them easier to turn.

get two of them for less than $2 ea and you should be good.

BTW I finally stabilized my camera mount. Glued a 2nd camera platform using welder glue. SUPER stiff. No flex.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:33 PM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,108 Posts
Rocket, touchè, nice solution and I had one sitting next to me
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:03 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
np, you may want to use a small washer because of how narrow it gets where it meets the carbon.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
some updates.

gopro, rubber disk, wood platform, gel adhesive, and on the bottom another rubber disk, a fender washer and thumbscrew

Note the double thickness platform

rc booya

The blade balancer thumbscrew

GoPro video. P gain maybe a little too high but no flexing platform.

talonGoPro (1 min 57 sec)
Last edited by rocketscience; Dec 07, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
Canada, AB, Division No. 6
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
I kind of cheat, got a 4' metal lathe, milling machine, etc. last year so I can make all of the prop adapters and misc. parts I need out of delrin. I also straighten the hub based on the ends of the props, some are out by a LOT.
One thing about the SF props; I have had two of them that had a split in the hub from factory. If you are going to use them, give them a pretty good flex and listen for a "POP". They might not be great for cold weather either, haven't had one break yet but I have been flying quite gently on them. Carbon or fiber reinforced might be a batter plan with that much money in the air.
It's not really a heavy build... 1.35kg without the fpv gear (Immersion 5.8, 600mw now) and pretty much everything is waterproofed with hot glue for playing in the snow.
It has plenty of thrust for flaring but 4s makes the thing rocketship like crazy. I only have one 3A 4s but flight time is about 80% of the 5A 3s.
The 8000 weren't worth it, I just use them for the hex (same motors + ESCs but APM2.5 instead of KK2)
I'm planning on testing a LOT bigger props on the tri, I think 15X3 might be okay for getting the flight times up. These motors always come down cool so I'm gonna pressure-test 'em a bit.
Do yourself a favor and order new bearings for the NTM 35-36a motors, the stock bearings are NFG! One already piled up on the hex and two sounded bad from factory (didn't test them, just replaced)
I'm about to throw the cheapie multiwii pro on the tri to get altitude hold, seems like it would be a sexy feature for FPV.

*edit* I was just reading about you guys wanting to flash the plush 40 with other firmware. I didn't bother for the multicopters but I did one for shits 'n giggles in the EPP 3D plane. It works all right and you can change a lot more settings. The SiLabs chip can be reflashed with an arduino in no time. I bricked the plush 30 that was in it originally (8kHz whine was annoying) but the 40 went fine, once you know where the pads are (google images) you don't do much damage to the heatshrink to get to them.
AUTO_XX is offline Find More Posts by AUTO_XX
Last edited by AUTO_XX; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:07 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
RCTimer has a 4215 motor for $33 that can swing a 16" prop on 3S at 12~13 amps, producing 1000g+ of lift. 3 of those bad boys on 3S or 2S and 5000mAH pack, cheapest option, and you could fly for days!!!! I think a 380mm arm option could handle 16 or 15" props, 2S drawing 10 amps per motor, 30 amps total, 750g of lift on each motor, 2KG+ of lift on a 1Kg frame..... ummmh I thinking!!
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=
it can hover at 3-4Amps pushing 350G per motor on 3S. 5000mAh at 5 amp draw = 1hour X 3 motors, 20 min~ on a Turnigy 20C 5000mah pack for $24
Yes, theory..... Vs. Reality, who knows but I'm thinking of giving it a try.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock