SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:58 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelico View Post
Im flying mine with the HH2.0 V1.4 and DJI 2212 920 kv motors on 3S.

It flies OK but isnt amazing. Wondering who makes the best flight controller for around $200 USD fir tricopters?

Looking for something relatively easy to setup with a Naza style autolevel.

Also, can someone tell me the best balance point for this tricopter (with the arms set on the middle settings)
The balance point should be in the middle of your flight controller. The flight controller should be at the intersection of the 3 arms.
As far as choice of flight controller the kk2 is an exceptional value and field friendly controller. Naza doesn't work with a Y3 config.
The best choice seems to be the feature rich arducopter APM2.5 / knock-offs, multiwii variants and the great white elk "openpilot". Much talked about but hard to spot!
I have flown a quad with naza GPS and it was good. For 1/10th the price I love the KK2! I don't lose sleep over a crash or loss of my craft.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
thank you for the answers. On this I dont think you can get the controller exactly at the intersection of the three arms, but I should try and balance the battery at the intersection anyway?

I really wish the Naza ran tricopters.. so easy and fun to fly! The KK2.0 is fine but not quite as stable as the Naza
Jelico is offline Find More Posts by Jelico
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:39 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelico View Post
thank you for the answers. On this I dont think you can get the controller exactly at the intersection of the three arms, but I should try and balance the battery at the intersection anyway?

I really wish the Naza ran tricopters.. so easy and fun to fly! The KK2.0 is fine but not quite as stable as the Naza
The battery is actually quite forward of the KK2. I hang it right in front of the 4 bolts holding on the camera plate. 3300 3S and 2200 a little further forward. Best test is to hold the rig ready for flight by the center of the kk board edge and see if she balances. If your battery is underneath she'll be tail heavy.
H
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
Canada, AB, Division No. 6
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
8000! wow, that's got to be a heavy battery. I don't think I'd have the focus for 20+ minutes of flying. I think my brain starts to struggle at about 10min of intense flying or wonders off out of boredom.
3300mAh in free flight , ziping around, gives me 10 minutes at 80% consumed.
I may try a 4000-5000 based on your test. You also have big motors on your Tri 35-36 If I recollect.
H
Yeah, I'm using 910kv 35-36 NTMs
The zippy 8000 3 cells are about 600grams so really they only bring the all up weight to 1.8kg with full fpv gear.
AUTO_XX is offline Find More Posts by AUTO_XX
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:10 AM
France, Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
hello guys,
I am very happy with my talon tricopter ...and had ever done some great flys with it ...but sadly this afternoon...got a crash with a tree...and so the turnigy 306G tail servo is damaged.

( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22687 )

unluckily this one is in back order for now , what do you suggest as replacement ?

Thanks !
Christophe.
dums2000 is offline Find More Posts by dums2000
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Just fitted a manual servo gimbal for my Gopro. Works great no jello apart from vibration on take off and descending to quickly. I'm liking the straight down view.
rumbey is offline Find More Posts by rumbey
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbey View Post
Just fitted a manual servo gimbal for my Gopro. Works great no jello apart from vibration on take off and descending to quickly. I'm liking the straight down view.
Where did you pick that up? I just ordered one from goodluckbuy similar to it.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:49 PM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyepro View Post
Where did you pick that up? I just ordered one from goodluckbuy similar to it.
I got it with my locust fpv quad but modified it slightly. I prefer the Tricopter Replaced the pan servo with the wooden pine block. I just need to sort out a smoother operation maybe in the TX or buy a servo regulator.

Goodluckbuy do the locust quad - http://www.goodluckbuy.com/locust-fo...gopro-ptz.html
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:23 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Well tried to fine tune my gemfan 11x4.7 sf and can't get her smooth. 10x6x3 were great, as we're the 9x5x3 GWS props. Anyone else try these?
H
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:57 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
I'm using Gemfan 9x4.7. Make sure you balance the hub as well. You will note on all the gemfans (the ones I have anyway) One side has flashing that needs to be removed to balance

Flood Tour Slaughterford with Turnigy Talon Tricopter (5 min 6 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
Alas, I just received my Talon and was very excited to commence the build. Right up to the point where I found out it is missing one of the two bearings for the tail rotor assembly. As getting any useful, let alone timely, help from HK is unlikely, does anyone have the specs on this piece? Any potential sources for a replacement?
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:56 AM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,065 Posts
A lot of useful bits in here for the talons yaw system. Thrust bearings and alike, ball and sockets are compadible also....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...450_HK450.html
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
428 Posts
Here is my cart so far. Ive already got esc's on the way and i have a distrobution board already..

Every thing look ok?
powerstroke01 is offline Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke01 View Post
Here is my cart so far. Ive already got esc's on the way and i have a distrobution board already..

Every thing look ok?
IMO ditch the NTM motors.. I will be throwing two out of the three in the bin after only two battery test flights.. the prop adaptors are drilled off center as well..
spend the money and get some quality motors / prop hardware so the vibrations are kept to a minimum..

R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGolem View Post
Alas, I just received my Talon and was very excited to commence the build. Right up to the point where I found out it is missing one of the two bearings for the tail rotor assembly. As getting any useful, let alone timely, help from HK is unlikely, does anyone have the specs on this piece? Any potential sources for a replacement?
No great loss there.. haha..
The pivot setup is rubbish anyway.. Few have posted the mods required for a smooth opperation and reduced load on your servo..
R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F