Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
254 Posts
[QUOTE=shelterock;23256414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T.K.F View Post

Can't say I have. I am following the rc timer apm2.5 thread. Not a lot of action. The revolution might trump the apm2.5. For the same money.
I have time to figure it out. Kk2 serving me well right now.
H
H, can you recomend a thread for the APM 2.5 from DYIdrones?
cheers
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
[QUOTE=R.T.K.F;23262467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post

H, can you recomend a thread for the APM 2.5 from DYIdrones?
cheers
I've read through the Arducopter Wiki, instructions for Multirotors section. You can get a lot of opinion and confusion if you go forums and threads.
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/ArduCopter
This is the best source. As far as the board choice, DIYDrones and RCtimer seem to carry what you need to dive in. I was kind of partial to the Megapirate's port over to the MultiWii, but APM2.5 isn't a port. I like the arducopter ground control and waypoints technology, which MultiWii seems to be lagging in.
If I'm going GPS, I will invest my time to learn all the features. Therefore I'm leaning OpenPilot or Arducopter.
The Hobbyking MultiWii Pro + GPS combo can run the Arducopter Megapirates 2.5 port. For $65 that's a pretty sweet deal if it comes back in stock.
The Aussie MultiWiicopter have the Paris board with a separate GPS+Mag board that I like. Less Likely to have interference on the Mag when it's mounted away from the Board. Still $105+$62.50 for that combo.
The OpenPilot Kickstarter for the Revolution is now closed and the wait continues if you didn't get in. That would have been ~$150 for Board + GPS.
Hard to compare apples and oranges. My struggle has been adjustments at the field for all these platforms. I don't have an Android phone, and you need the OLED Screen and often connect/ disconnect from the PC etc... these boards' USB ports seem weak, lug a laptop around etc... Not ideal yet.
Good Luck in your quest for the best Flight controller.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Last edited by shelterock; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
I picked up one of these with the intention of using it on my Talon Tri... http://www.diymulticopter.com/product.php?id_product=70

The board arrived long before the Talon did so it wound up on a quad frame. Works quite well with the latest MultiWii firmware and very close to default parameters. GPS position hold also works very well though not as rock solid as the DJI stuff I have but the whole MultiWii setup costs less than just the GPS unit for a Naza so I'm OK with how the position hold works for the price!

Board will also run the MegaPirate firmware which gives you the option of using it with groundstation and all the bells and whistles that gives you. Problem I see with the MP stuff is it's about 10X more complex than the basic MultiWii and I just don't have the kind of time it would take to dig in and learn it all.

End result of all that is my Talon finally made it into the air for the first time yesterday with a KK2.0 board on the 1.2 firmware. Later I flashed to the 1.4 only to find I had to reverse the direction of the right front motor, PITA since everything is soldered and hardwired in my setup, should have done that first and I wouldn't have had to go back change the connections.

Only a couple test flights so far, this is my first Tri but not my first multi. I find the Tri to be a lot more like flying a single rotor heli than a quad or a hex, certainly not what I'm used to but not difficult to adapt to, just different.

I did the thrust bearing mod to the tail assembly during the build, weird thing is there were threads in the mounting block on the arm as though they did originally intend the bolt to go in from the motor mount side even though it's impossible to put a bolt in that way. A quick pass with a 3mm drill bit fixed that problem.

The other thing I didn't like was the knurled knobs for the front arm locks were much too tight to move when fully screwed down onto the pins. Quick fix for that, take a 3mm setscrew and fully thread it up into the knurled knob before installing on the pin, then you can fully seat the knob on the pin and have plenty of clearance for them to slide over the CF when you want to fold the arms.

Ken
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,083 Posts
[QUOTE=shelterock;23265903]
Quote:

The Hobbyking MultiWii Pro + GPS combo can run the Arducopter Megapirates 2.5 port. For $65 that's a pretty sweet deal if it comes back in stock.
H
Witespy's store has those Mega 1.0 boards in stock.
MultiWii PRO Flight Controller $39.00
MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module $75.00
MultiWii PRO 2.0 Flight Controller $49.00
MultiWii PRO 2.0 Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module $85.00
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
254 Posts
[QUOTE=shelterock;23265903]
Quote:

I've read through the Arducopter Wiki, instructions for Multirotors section. You can get a lot of opinion and confusion if you go forums and threads.
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/ArduCopter
This is the best source. As far as the board choice, DIYDrones and RCtimer seem to carry what you need to dive in. I was kind of partial to the Megapirate's port over to the MultiWii, but APM2.5 isn't a port. I like the arducopter ground control and waypoints technology, which MultiWii seems to be lagging in.
If I'm going GPS, I will invest my time to learn all the features. Therefore I'm leaning OpenPilot or Arducopter.
The Aussie MultiWiicopter have the Paris board with a separate GPS+Mag board that I like. Less Likely to have interference on the Mag when it's mounted away from the Board. Still $105+$62.50 for that combo.
The OpenPilot Kickstarter for the Revolution is now closed and the wait continues if you didn't get in. That would have been ~$150 for Board + GPS.
Hard to compare apples and oranges. My struggle has been adjustments at the field for all these platforms. I don't have an Android phone, and you need the OLED Screen and often connect/ disconnect from the PC etc... these boards' USB ports seem weak, lug a laptop around etc... Not ideal yet.
Good Luck in your quest for the best Flight controller.
H
Cheers H,
Just checking it there were any other besides the RCtimer thread worth scoping out..
Definatly a mine feild with fourms.. takes a lot to sift thru the dribble, but sometime u find pearls of wisdom..
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:28 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
254 Posts
[QUOTE=TheFernMan;23267180]Cheers for the links fernman.. They had an intersting FPV quad.
How did u go with ur custom talon hex project?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:39 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,083 Posts
[QUOTE=R.T.K.F;23270283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post

Cheers for the links fernman.. They had an intersting FPV quad.
How did u go with ur custom talon hex project?
I didn't have a talon hex. I have a custom hex and a separate talon v2 lol

I'm gonna be working on my hex next week. Been busy lately. Been flashing my ESCs and getting ready for building.
I also have some tall landing skids coming from Goodluckbuy. Hopefully they come in next week for the build.
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
Anyone mount a gopro on one of these WITH the outer housing? I just can't bring myself to fly around without a protective housing. I had one on my quad but I build a custom detachable landing gear platform thing with a 1/4" hole for a tripod thread.

But I don't want to do that with this and it would seem easy enough to attach to the front somehow... maybe a wood sandwich clamp. yeah...
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Anyone mount a gopro on one of these WITH the outer housing? I just can't bring myself to fly around without a protective housing. I had one on my quad but I build a custom detachable landing gear platform thing with a 1/4" hole for a tripod thread.

But I don't want to do that with this and it would seem easy enough to attach to the front somehow... maybe a wood sandwich clamp. yeah...
You could just use a layer lens setup and be done with it. I've crashed a couple times with just the layer lens protecting the GoPro lens itself and the end result was once I had to replace the glass in the layer lens because it got badly scratched on impact. The GoPro itself seems to survive a crash just as well out of the case as in as long as the lens is protected.

The other issue is I don't think you will be able to isolate the vibrations enough using the case and the video will have some degree of jello no matter how well you balance the props and motors. I've been doing some test flights with my Talon and one of my older GoPro rubber banded to the front mounting plate on top of a layer of anti-vibration gel, even with well balanced props I'm still seeing some vibes making it through. I may put it on with the case and a tripod mount just to see the difference, I think it will be huge...

Ken
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:06 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
254 Posts
F.Y.I.

Hobbyking MultiWii Pro + GPS combo back in stock..
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
I use it with a case on my dji and it looked reat. I think the secret is plywood. I just tried the gopro and case on the talon and the front platform was VERY flexible. I think it needs some reinforcement. Or i may replace the carbon plate entirely with plywood. Plywood seems to absorb the vibes the best for me.

Oh also.. I'm actually more worried about water than scratching the lens. Our field seems to retain water after rain for some reason.. we have a couple pond-like bodies standing around after an overnight rain.
Last edited by rocketscience; Nov 15, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:06 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
here's a video from the dji setup. It uses a kk1 board and wobbles a bit more.

djiGoPro2 (2 min 31 sec)

the frame looks like:

new mount kind of flimsy.

(I use a rubber disk on top and bottom to isolate the camera and the thumbscrew a little)
Last edited by rocketscience; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
Canada, AB, Division No. 6
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
shelterock sent me this way so I figured I'd list my build;

Talon tri with 380mm booms
11X4.7 Gemfans for hovering around 12X6 for FFF (fpv)
35-36a NTMs, 910kv
Plush 40s
S306G-HV digital servo (crazy fast, I think it is 0.05s)
3s 2200-8000 (haven't tested the 8000 yet but there is no difference between 3A and 5A Lipo)
KK2 updated to 2 weeks ago (whatever version THAT was...)
XT90 + 3.5mm connectors
Lost model alarm
900mHz, 1500mW Tx with a 0.008lux camera (In a dollar store tupperware container)

~20 minutes of hovering around on a 5000, 15min of ripping around the yard.
~12 on a 3000
The VTx and camera are on the flight battery and I'll be adding a couple 22uH inductors and a 100uf cap to get rid of the few lines that show up at higher throttle.
The 11X4.7 props aren't ideal for where I like the left stick (less than 1/2) but they are cheap and quiet.
I'm still waiting for the immersion 5.8GHz 600mW to show up from readymade but the 900mHz system works all right with a cloverleaf /SPW on it.
You could put 30" props on this thing without anything hitting (cloverleaf would have to go on the bottom of the boom) so it is way oversized but makes for a gentle FPV bird.
The thrust bearings have been on order since before I got this thing but you know Chinese sellers...
Countersunk and used countersunk screws on the camera mount, it doesn't eat batteries this way but ask first boys and girls, you'll dull daddy's bits (I used a cheapie bit in the milling machine)
AUW is 1.58Kg with a 5000mah and FPV gear on. It doesn't notice the FPV gear on
I didn't have any (non waterbased) Varathane here so I just shot hot glue into all of the ESC ends, it should keep most of the snow out.
I am using 4mm collets, they are a little annoying until you really tighten them up the first time. It helps to score the motor shaft a little bit to keep them from spinning when you tighten them.
After they were wedged on I swapped the spinners out for 5mm nylon nuts and a little piece of heatshrink on the protruding threads.

Still need to tune the PID values a bit but it should end up with P around 120 (I had it at 175 with no oscillation)
*My big Hex has the same motor combo and the PID values are crazy high like that as well but it is on the APM 2.5 board*
Might try it with 4s at some point but it isn't lacking in power ^_^

I'd stay away from the HK 25-30a card programmable ESC if you want to use DT750 motors, I had nothing but problems with it coming down in a screeching wreck. My first quad used them and I was about ready to give up on multicopters because of it.

Just an added note, tighten the thumbscrews up *when you move the arms out*, don't wait until later because you WILL forget and you WILL be looking for them out in the snow while muttering little curse words to yourself.
I was lucky, making another one would be annoying...
AUTO_XX is offline Find More Posts by AUTO_XX
Last edited by AUTO_XX; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,260 Posts
Yeah that mount is definitely flexing with a gopro in the case. video is fine when hovering but any quick movement and I can see it bouncing on the video. If I glue a square carbon piece along the length of the mount it would probably work. Or wood or something. anything.

It turns out mounting the battery skewed a little perfectly balances out and lets me use the thumbscrew under the gopro.

Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Yeah that mount is definitely flexing with a gopro in the case. video is fine when hovering but any quick movement and I can see it bouncing on the video. If I glue a square carbon piece along the length of the mount it would probably work. Or wood or something. anything.

It turns out mounting the battery skewed a little perfectly balances out and lets me use the thumbscrew under the gopro.

Isn't it crazy to think the whole rig flying is half the price of a gopro3 black. Very nice setup. Can't wait for some great 120fps tricopter footage.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock