SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
After mounting the 320mm Arms from the Talon Quad, I went and chased my buddy in his Stintson Reliant right to the heart break hotel. Got 380mm CF arms now but I will wait till my next incident to replace the stock 221mm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hrpZPPKm-A

Lost orientation because I flew while waiting for a servo extension to light the strobe on the tail. Stupid decision but whata you gonna do!
H
Hey, shelterock, why are you going back to the shorter arms? Just wondering :-)
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly View Post
Really like your cage idea RTKF i suspect it might prove itself to be of some worth.

Heres my little addition to the Talon conversation/mod knowledge base, while waiting for HK to get their spares list up to date I got 'inovative'...

And yep flys sweet

Also note the nylon nut as a thrust bearing, again doing quite well thank you very much It was reamed out to give it some wriggle room so to speak.

Cheers.
Nice.. Got to love the OZ bush mechanic style..

Still working on a few roll cage styles, can post DXF files when done if are people are intersted..
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:51 PM
sunk more than scorp
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T.K.F View Post
Cheers.
Nice.. Got to love the OZ bush mechanic style..

Still working on a few roll cage styles, can post DXF files when done if are people are intersted..
Just tuned my board and now don't want to kill it 'just yet', your bits work well with the style of the Talon as well

H,

I'm using the 1047 gemfans from HK, I find I get blade strike with the ground when I arm the board, ok on grass, bad on harder surfaces.
Not sure how long 1147 would last on the tail, I was thinking 9's possibly even some tripples, but don't like transporting them.
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post
Hey, shelterock, why are you going back to the shorter arms? Just wondering :-)
This footage was shot before I received the 380mm, 2 sets, and 2 more sets of 320mm. So I have 2 sets of everything now. I rebuilt with 221mm and am contemplating a second frame with 380mm arms, camera gimbal from copterframes minimax and big props. Got to see where the budget lands for the month before I pay up.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitnessOnly;
H,

I'm using the 1047 gemfans from HK, I find I get blade strike with the ground when I arm the board, ok on grass, bad on harder surfaces.
Not sure how long 1147 would last on the tail, I was thinking 9's possibly even some tripples, but don't like transporting them.
Interesting, are you getting blade strike from the tail servo pitching over?
I've not seen that with my 11"ers.
The feeling I get with large blades is that of huge gyroscopic effect.
Remember when you were a kid and took your bicycle wheel and spun it off the the frame, just holding the axles. The wheel would twist and it was hard to hold. These 11" props seem to have huge stability and require conviction to get to turn and rotate the frame. They don't like to be anywhere other than where they are. Very strange feeling.
H
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:07 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
189 Posts
Quote:
This footage was shot before I received the 380mm, 2 sets, and 2 more sets of 320mm. So I have 2 sets of everything now. I rebuilt with 221mm and am contemplating a second frame with 380mm arms, camera gimbal from copterframes minimax and big props. Got to see where the budget lands for the month before I pay up.
H
A hah - that makes sense: a sport and a family version! Good on you - way to go!
Do you like the KK2 1.4/1.5 code? I think KK has done an excellent job with all the rapid updates. He is certainly giving the other more expensive boards a run for your money! I saw his toss and level video on YT and thought maybe one day I might try that -- maybe?!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:51 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post
A hah - that makes sense: a sport and a family version! Good on you - way to go!
Do you like the KK2 1.4/1.5 code? I think KK has done an excellent job with all the rapid updates. He is certainly giving the other more expensive boards a run for your money! I saw his toss and level video on YT and thought maybe one day I might try that -- maybe?!
I hear you Rob, I'm not tossing my frame in the air just yet.
I am very pleased with the KK2. 1.5 is doing a great job. I turned down the self level P gain to 75 from 100. It was springing back so rapidly, the oscillations made it camera unfriendly. I got to get out there with the 11" props well out in the open to see how they perform. I think it will work well. The question will be how smooth. I'm not looking for radical 3D capability.
Rather smooth yaw and stable, low vibes, platform.
There is he open pilot revolution for $100 + $50 GPS. Then the rc timer APM 2.5 knock off for $90. There are a few wii pro decks out for $60-90 with gps. KK2 is just so easy to adjust in the field.
H
H
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:33 PM
sunk more than scorp
Joined Jan 2010
1,169 Posts
Quote:
There are a few wii pro decks out for $60-90 with gps. KK2 is just so easy to adjust in the field.
H
H,

I tried 11's and you're right, the inertia was taking the 'pep' out of the tri.

Now up till last weekend I'd have agreed with your 'ease of use' claim, but I've got one of the HK Multiwii pro boards, and had a mate actually tune it via blutooth and the android app while I was actually flying round Took 1 battery and A continous 5min flight and it was so well dialled in

Cheers StuntDouble
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:54 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
325 Posts
Quote:
H,

I tried 11's and you're right, the inertia was taking the 'pep' out of the tri.

Now up till last weekend I'd have agreed with your 'ease of use' claim, but I've got one of the HK Multiwii pro boards, and had a mate actually tune it via blutooth and the android app while I was actually flying round Took 1 battery and A continous 5min flight and it was so well dialled in

Cheers StuntDouble
Was this the one u cats used for that?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PS_Module.html
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:09 AM
sunk more than scorp
Joined Jan 2010
1,169 Posts
Yep, just starting out on the MW path
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 AM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
325 Posts
Quote:
Yep, just starting out on the MW path
Cool.. Keep us all posted on that.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:29 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T.K.F View Post
Was this the one u cats used for that?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PS_Module.html
I'm close to trying either the mwii or the apm2.5. Right now the KK2 is the rock star in the air for the amazing value of $29.99 or less.
The new kid on the block is the open pilot revolution for $99 + $50 GPS due in 8 weeks.
H
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
325 Posts
[QUOTE=shelterock;23256073]I'm close to trying either the mwii or the apm2.5.

I just seen the rev one the other day.. might be worth a try when its out..
Couldnt wait, so I went with the amp 2.5 to test..
Have u used the apm2.5 before H.?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:36 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
[QUOTE=R.T.K.F;23256150]
Quote:
I'm close to trying either the mwii or the apm2.5.

I just seen the rev one the other day.. might be worth a try when its out..
Couldnt wait, so I went with the amp 2.5 to test..
Have u used the apm2.5 before H.?
Can't say I have. I am following the rc timer apm2.5 thread. Not a lot of action. The revolution might trump the apm2.5. For the same money.
I have time to figure it out. Kk2 serving me well right now.
H
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
189 Posts
Too much fun! The revolution looks like it has good future - have to wait and see. The amp.2.5 has plenty of test videos showing it off, and so does the Crius AIO Pro 2.5 (can run MW or Ardupilot code).

And it sounds like the HK Multiwii pro board is worth a go - especially for the ease of tuning.

The baro chip is one thing to look at. The boards listed at the top have better baro chips.

So much choice! But good competition.

The KK2 has turned out better than I expected. For the basics plus a few extra features its real good value. I had to rethink the big PI values after getting used to working with MW, and I have to say I thought not having D would be an issue, but I'm surprised by the excellent stability.

Still plan to do the toss test -- with an old quad not the talon!
Last edited by RobJCook; Nov 13, 2012 at 03:43 PM.