Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:22 AM
UAV Constructor
Poland, Dolnoslaskie, Wroclaw
Joined Aug 2012
70 Posts
frame looks quite solid though. Price is not as low as we would expect it to be, but i guess it's worth it )look, till now there were hardly no good CF frames for Tri in everyday availability). Gonna try it in few days, and post some review on forum.
Ciast3k is offline Find More Posts by Ciast3k
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Here's Don's video on the talon tricopter.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvNJzlkpG1Q
Can anyone tell me what his KK2 settings are? Is he taking off with Auto Level enabled or not? Great video! Makes me want to buy one of those frames.... as soon as I can figure out how to keep my tricopter in the air for more than a second or two.
subaru4wd is offline Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
Can anyone tell me what his KK2 settings are? Is he taking off with Auto Level enabled or not? Great video! Makes me want to buy one of those frames.... as soon as I can figure out how to keep my tricopter in the air for more than a second or two.
I fly my KK2 on an RCExplorer 2.5 frame with plush ESC stock at P&R P Gains of 75-80 with 35-50 I gain. P-Yaw is around 50, Stock gains on Yaw from the firmware 1.2 install. She flies well once I got the digital servo.

I built a Hexa H550 from hobbyking with 30A ESC from Hobbyking, light blue wrapper, and had gains of 160-185. She Burst into flames in her last crash when a solder joint pierced the cell.
Your ESC will determine the range as a function of their response rates. High 400mhz-500mhz work with higher gains.

My plan is to use the same F30A ESC from Hobbyking flashed with SimonK, similar as DHDS, with NTM 2826 and 9x4.7 GWS inch props.. I'm thinking the KK2 will dial in at 150 or higher on P & R P Gain and 100 or bette ron the Yaw P gain. I gains should be between 50% to 100% of their respective P gain values.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Talon Tricopter: Tuning with flip and roll! (8 min 2 sec)

Flight footage.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
Talon Tricopter: Onboard Footage (5 min 2 sec)

on Board GoPro footage
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:23 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,721 Posts
Im curious about the T config and would like to hear more about the flight characteristics. Pushing the arms back like that throws out the geometry, the pitch axis would become more sensitive, pitch gain would surely have to be adjusted. Also the flight controller location would be pushed forward of CG which would affect handling and balance. Im sure it would still fly just how well is the question.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:17 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrcuk View Post
I couldn't resist this after seeing Don's initial video!! I'll be going with a KK2 (as did he) and either NTM 28-26 or 28-30 motors (because I have them). $25 for the KK2 if bought with the Talon Tri.
Same here
I also got the KK2 and I'll be running 28-26 (1200) on 4S (8x4.5), should have plenty of power.
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:21 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
Im curious about the T config and would like to hear more about the flight characteristics. Pushing the arms back like that throws out the geometry, the pitch axis would become more sensitive, pitch gain would surely have to be adjusted. Also the flight controller location would be pushed forward of CG which would affect handling and balance. Im sure it would still fly just how well is the question.
I would bet that in the T-configuration it wouldn't fly as well as a T-Copter that is designed to be a T-Copter.The geometry is off by just pivoting the arms back from the Y configuration. If you wanted to fly this as a true T-Copter, all you would have to do is buy a longer tail boom and cut it to the proper length to get the motors spaced at the right geometry. But then, all your electronics and camera are going to be way up front and my guess is that you would end up having to mount the battery way back on the tail boom to get it to balance properly.

I have a T-Copter that I scratch built 2 years ago, and getting the CG right, required mounting the battery way back on the tail boom. It's just the nature of a T-Copter. But I really like T-Copters because they are easier to see which way they are pointing in the air, and the props aren't in the video.

My current Y6 copter is hard to judge orientation compared to a T-copter. Also, the GoPro is mounted on a boom extended forward from the central body plates, and I see no props in my GoPro video.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Last edited by djdavid60; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:49 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Here's Don's video on the talon tricopter.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvNJzlkpG1Q
Nice video Don - what props do you have on there? They look enough to give some decent performance. Love this folding compact frame design with it's FPV/Video capability. Portability and storage are important considerations for my flying things here in Japan.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:44 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
872 Posts
My tri cleared china! Probably another week to NY. I'm thinking a real clean install with escs in the body and wires in the arms. LEDs, 4S with 8x4.5 gemfans, green and orange, got a 26g digital servo from hobbypartz, solar brand, quad power distribution board, F30A flashed with SimonK fw, NTM2826 1000kV motors, kk2 board on nylon offsets, gopro hd, 5.8ghz fat shark 600mw with rhcp antenna, separate Bec for video trans, am I missing anything else?
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:56 AM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
My tri cleared china! Probably another week to NY. I'm thinking a real clean install with escs in the body and wires in the arms. LEDs, 4S with 8x4.5 gemfans, green and orange, got a 26g digital servo from hobbypartz, solar brand, quad power distribution board, F30A flashed with SimonK fw, NTM2826 1000kV motors, kk2 board on nylon offsets, gopro hd, 5.8ghz fat shark 600mw with rhcp antenna, separate Bec for video trans, am I missing anything else?
Nope, that is really close to my set up and it's perfect! Hopefully soon, im going to try a 2 axis gimbal on the front with dual stacked kk2's. One for the craft, one for the gimbal! It's going to me tight but should be cool.
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:57 AM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Nice video Don - what props do you have on there? They look enough to give some decent performance. Love this folding compact frame design with it's FPV/Video capability. Portability and storage are important considerations for my flying things here in Japan.
They are the carbon German 8x4's on 3s. Really it should be on 4s though.
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:02 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,125 Posts
I've just ordered one... Gonna be my travell setup.
SpeedMaster is offline Find More Posts by SpeedMaster
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
181 Posts
Assembly issues

Hi all

Got my Talon Tricopter yesterday and started assembly last nite. There are some issues.

First the exploded view assy drawing shows a Stepped Screw used to hold the Tail Section Plate to the Tube Mount. On the diagram its pointing in the wrong direction compared with the photos on the HK site. The diagram also lacks the required locknut. So look at the product pictures on the HK site.

But the real issue is as you tighten the locknut the assy locks together. You must not fully tighten and allow the screw and locknut to turn as well as the bearings.
So the locknut is really important!!

Not the best mechanism IMO -- that screw (bolt) is acting as a bearing which is not the best. It could have been better engineered (something for V 2.0 ?). Anyway it is workable with some slop. A nylon washer between the locknut and the Tail Section Pivot would help.

The arms (Carbon Fibre Tube) are slightly over 14 mm OD (same as Talon Quads) and are very difficult to fit in the 14 mm holes of the Pivot Plat Mounts (Blocks).
You must reduce the OD to fit the blocks.

I used the mounts (blocks) like a pencil sharpener to reduce the arm OD to fit the holes. You could reduce the arm OD with sand paper (Emery paper) too.

The arms must slide in fully into the mount so that the Spring reaches the pivot step screw. I had to file the slot in the arm to make the Fixture Pin move freely to the end of the slot.

Well that's as far as I've got with the assembly. So far I think the thing could have been better engineered for the money. But I look forward to flying it!

Hope this helps others.
Cheers
Rob
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:22 AM
about:blank
Slovenia
Joined Aug 2007
406 Posts
Good writeup Rob, thank you. Mine should be here in a week or so.
mongo56 is online now Find More Posts by mongo56