Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T.K.F View Post
Bingo.. Solidworks
Lol I just wonder how you got all the dimension correct to fit everything together in SolidWorks. You think you can design a hex center plate for me :P
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Finally have my tri together, I'm very much a newbie, but the build went ok, just took my time. One small problem though, I can't get airborne. I'm giving it near full throttle before the right arm starts to lift then I have to stop as the props on the other sides are getting close to the ground.

Prop direction appears is ok, must be something simple I'm missing, any ideas?
Do the motors spin up equally. Perhaps throttle calibration? if you're not getting even power then that could be the issue. Try the button 1 & 4 on the KK2 calibration method. Otherwise go through the sequence one ESC at a time through the receiver.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
thanks for your reply I believe i have now calibrated correctly. Just tried another test flight and the right side prop is still the only one getting lift. Is there some way of mounting the props depending on motor direction, currently the props are all the same even though the motor turns differently

I'm also concern that there might be interference from the the esc going into the servo . Should the servo be making noise all the time and should the servo be returning to centre each time cos with large rudder control it doesn't.
jimjim is offline Find More Posts by jimjim
Last edited by jimjim; Oct 21, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
227 Posts
Another day. Another dead tail servo. And a warning.

Went out flying today. And unfortunately I managed to hit a tree with one of the front arms and crashed into a fairly soft field.

Must have been very unlucky because this rather non dramatic crash from 2-3 meters caused:

- One broken front arm
- One dead tail servo
- One dead ESC
- Two bent motor mounts
- One broken carbon prop
- All motors filled with dirt

And the warning: that carbon frame conducts electricity pretty well. In the crash one of the ESCs ended up with a hole in the shrink wrap. So the electronics touched the carbon.

Causing magic smoke from the ESC and magic smoke from my video TX. On the video TX the smoke came from a spot where the metal housing touched the carbon.

So, I have fixed everything completely now, but changed the way I mounted the ESCs and the video Tx. I inserted a 3 mm layer of non conductive material between them and the carbon frame.

Still love the Talon. Both the performance and the quickest and best folding mechanism I have ever seen. But we can conclude that it is not the most sturdy frame out there...
eirikso is offline Find More Posts by eirikso
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
thump thump thump
Canada
Joined Oct 2012
77 Posts
Have a peek at my order list from HK. Its my first Multicopter build so it should be equal parts super fun and challenging.
It will run on 3s to be compatible with my FS FPV equipment.
In the meantime I'm practicing flying with a tiny Ladybird
nothingman is offline Find More Posts by nothingman
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Could the reason im only getting lift on the right motor be that i have the same direction prop (not motor direction) on each motor?

I followed the buy list from the rcexplorer 2.5 so just got these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0049&aff=61689

Should I have got another set designed for a a different direction? Seems odd it wouldn't be on the rcexplorer site if that is the case.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Eirik,
Too bad for the crash. I broke 2 arms and blew out a servo. I think the frame is super tight and flies great but I knew right of the bat it was going to explode if crashed. Cf is not forgiving. I would not recommend it to the rookie pilot. Also you got to pay to play. Every F1 car is the best but boy is that expensive to build and fix.
I believe the frame has sharp edges that could fray the wires and will cut any wire in a crash. I sanded edges of the top and bottom plate and the inside of the arms.
H
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:46 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
Could the reason im only getting lift on the right motor be that i have the same direction prop (not motor direction) on each motor?

I followed the buy list from the rcexplorer 2.5 so just got these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0049&aff=61689

Should I have got another set designed for a a different direction? Seems odd it wouldn't be on the rcexplorer site if that is the case.
Props only work one way. If they are regular props, looking down on the frame, the props spin counter clockwise. If the are reversed then clockwise. A tri can run any combination. I fly opposing props on the front counter rotation clockwise motor #1 left front, regular anti clockwise on right motor and a standard on the rear.
H
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:49 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
thanks for your reply I believe i have now calibrated correctly. Just tried another test flight and the right side prop is still the only one getting lift. Is there some way of mounting the props depending on motor direction, currently the props are all the same even though the motor turns differently
If props are all the same then the motors need to all turn in the same direction as the one prop giving you lift.
H
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Lol I just wonder how you got all the dimension correct to fit everything together in SolidWorks. You think you can design a hex center plate for me :P
Sure, but HK allready do a hex..
Is there something special you have in mind?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_625mm.html
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Props only work one way. A tri can run any combination.
H
Thanks shelterrock. So if a tri can fly any combination, what i need to do is find a way to edit the kk2 to control flight for anti clockwise rotation on all props. Then I might be back in business.

[UPDATE] having just looked through the menus on the kk2 I'm pretty sure that motor direction can not be edited. Is it a bad idea to just reverse the motor direction with out setting up the kk2 accordingly first?

[2nd UPDATE] Couldn't wait any longer so gave it a go anyway. It started spin anti clockwise very fast, no lasting damage done. Without an option to edit prop direction on the kk2 I guess i have to get new props. Can anyone recommend some suitable to fit on the hexTronik DT750 4mm shaft or will I need to get an adapter first?
Last edited by jimjim; Oct 22, 2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: updates
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:29 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
Thanks shelterrock. So if a tri can fly any combination, what i need to do is find a way to edit the kk2 to control flight for anti clockwise rotation on all props. Then I might be back in business.

[UPDATE] having just looked through the menus on the kk2 I'm pretty sure that motor direction can not be edited. Is it a bad idea to just reverse the motor direction with out setting up the kk2 accordingly first?

[2nd UPDATE] Couldn't wait any longer so gave it a go anyway. It started spin anti clockwise very fast, no lasting damage done. Without an option to edit prop direction on the kk2 I guess i have to get new props. Can anyone recommend some suitable to fit on the hexTronik DT750 4mm shaft or will I need to get an adapter first?
Go back to before you made any changes on the kk2 board. Then the 3 leads into the motor, switch any 2 leads to reverse the motor direction and bob's your uncle.
H
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:32 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Quote:

Do you get lift from all 3 props once you switch any 2 leads from the esc to the motor? If your tri spins in the air while attempting to hover, you may have to reverse the gyro direction in the mixer editor. Search kk2 gyro reverse in rcgroups kk2 thread.
H
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
thanks, it spun very fast instantly, i'll look into the gyro stuff. are you contactable on any any messenger service as I don't want make to many posts here
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
thanks, it spun very fast instantly, i'll look into the gyro stuff. are you contactable on any any messenger service as I don't want make to many posts here
I PM'd you. H