HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
I'm trying to keep the CG spot on the MultiWii-card I have mounted on my tri. With a GoPro in front and a FPV-TX behind the card I adjust with the battery under or slightly in front of the card.

I'm getting approx 7 minutes with GoPro, a heavy FPV-TX, a pretty solid FPV-cam and a 500 mAh 3S FPV-battery. Guess I'll get around 10 minutes without the GoPro and FPV-gear.

Using 2200 4S batteries. 2216 900 KV T-Motors and alternating between 9x5x3 GWS Props and 9x6 Graupners. Getting around the same flight time on both the 3 blade GWS and the graupners.

Flying slightly agressive LOS and FPV with a couple of flips and rolls here and there...
eirikso is offline Find More Posts by eirikso
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkouz View Post
S I have a tri frame, hooked it all up to a rabbit flight controller, it seems to not function correctly, I installed the rotors according to the guide, the left is cw, and the right and rudder are ccw. I'm using a hitech hs85, which has plenty of torque, the motors are the dji 920 kv, and am running the turnigy 25a esc. Th problem I have with the craft is that it wants to spun 360 as soon as I take off. Anyone have a clue to what is going on?

I will switch out the configuration of the blades and motor rotation, It might be an error of the part of whoever wrote the instructions for rabbit.
LIke it has been mentioned: sounds like you simply have to reverse the tail servo in the rabbit software. As far as I know it is simply a check box.

I'm running MultiWii on my Talon tri and had to reverse the tail servo as well. Before I reversed it my tri wanted to behave like a carousel...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:49 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirikso View Post
I'm trying to keep the CG spot on the MultiWii-card I have mounted on my tri. With a GoPro in front and a FPV-TX behind the card I adjust with the battery under or slightly in front of the card.

I'm getting approx 7 minutes with GoPro, a heavy FPV-TX, a pretty solid FPV-cam and a 500 mAh 3S FPV-battery. Guess I'll get around 10 minutes without the GoPro and FPV-gear.

Using 2200 4S batteries. 2216 900 KV T-Motors and alternating between 9x5x3 GWS Props and 9x6 Graupners. Getting around the same flight time on both the 3 blade GWS and the graupners.

Flying slightly agressive LOS and FPV with a couple of flips and rolls here and there...
Eirik, interesting, I'm playing with 10x6x3 props and just got a set of 9x5x3 GWS. I'll have to try them and see. I'm hovering at 65-60% throttle with a 3S. Probably 60-55% on 4S. She's not a rocket though. I'm very impressed by how locked in this frame feels. KK2 is a tremendous value. Such a good platform to build skills on and move up from. Do you fly fpv through the GoPro, or add a fpv cam? What's your reasoning? Field of view, reliability, image quality?

I got my 320mm arms. Just need to route out the channels in the front arms and see what she would fly like. I have wires, bullets and more. Just a matter of time.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
Now this tricopter is starting to behave very well. Did some flying this sunday. A bit of LOS to test stability and altitude hold on the MultiWii. And some nice FPV-clips as well:

Turnigy Talon Tricopter - LOS and FPV (2 min 21 sec)

Can't stress enough that you need loctite an ALL screws. Seems like I forgot the screw on the tail servo. And when that slips you get a spinning carousel going down:

Tricopter Tail Servo Fail (0 min 11 sec)

Baseflight on my old FreeFlight is really nice on this tri. Spent quite a bit of time setting it up, but now it works well with both auto stability and altitude hold. It is very, very stable in rate mode and gives that rock solid locked in feeling.

Still, as mentioned here in the thread, the KK2 is also a nice FC. I have mine on a very sturdy micro quad for acro. Had some fun with that one as well this weekend (best viewed in full screen):

A bit of acro with a KK2 based micro quad (5 min 0 sec)

...but that last video is off-topic here. Sorry. Just had to show-off. :-)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Eirik, interesting, I'm playing with 10x6x3 props and just got a set of 9x5x3 GWS. I'll have to try them and see. I'm hovering at 65-60% throttle with a 3S. Probably 60-55% on 4S. She's not a rocket though. I'm very impressed by how locked in this frame feels. KK2 is a tremendous value. Such a good platform to build skills on and move up from. Do you fly fpv through the GoPro, or add a fpv cam? What's your reasoning? Field of view, reliability, image quality?

I got my 320mm arms. Just need to route out the channels in the front arms and see what she would fly like. I have wires, bullets and more. Just a matter of time.
H
With the T-Motors on 4S mine is way more powerful than I thought it would be. Plenty of power even for acro with all FPV-stash and GoPro.

I'm running the 4S batteries down to around 13.3 volts. Seems like that's a bit too low. They're pretty hot and slightly puffed when I land. So I guess I'll aim for more like 5 minutes and 13.7-ish when I land to keep my batteries a bit longer.

Without GoPro and FPV-gear I guess I could squeeze 10 minutes out of this tri.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Do you fly fpv through the GoPro, or add a fpv cam? What's your reasoning? Field of view, reliability, image quality?
I've added a separate FPV-cam. Mostly because I want to be able to do some longer FPV-only flights without the weight of the GoPro. And my googles are 4/3, so the GoPro doesn't fill my field of view with its 16/9-output.

...and: I like to keep the GoPro in the case so it's waterproof etc. I don't have the skeleton case that lets me plug in video out while in the case.

My last argument for a separate FPV-cam is the low-light mode where it automatically switch to black and white night mode. Lets me fly FPV even when it's pretty dark.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:34 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
So I wanted the longer arms because I flew a David Windestal RCExplorer V2.5 with 500mm arms. I liked the stability and visibility. Last night I cut slits in the front arms and installed them.
Name: Talonlongarm1.jpg
Views: 180
Size: 299.0 KB
Description:
Installed the long arm 320mm CF tubes from the quad instead of the 221mm
Name: Talonlonarm2.jpg
Views: 157
Size: 299.9 KB
Description:
comparison short to long
Name: Talonlongarm3.jpg
Views: 196
Size: 305.4 KB
Description:
Daylight: ready to Fly
Name: Talonbodycontourhd.jpg
Views: 244
Size: 308.8 KB
Description:
Body Cleaned up, repositioned the Rx and wires run under the KK2 and power Distro.

Now I have 60 LEDs per arm to instal and she'll be ready for Halloween!!
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
Nice!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:39 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
189 Posts
Quote:
With the T-Motors on 4S mine is way more powerful than I thought it would be. Plenty of power even for acro with all FPV-stash and GoPro.

I'm running the 4S batteries down to around 13.3 volts. Seems like that's a bit too low. They're pretty hot and slightly puffed when I land. So I guess I'll aim for more like 5 minutes and 13.7-ish when I land to keep my batteries a bit longer.

Without GoPro and FPV-gear I guess I could squeeze 10 minutes out of this tri.
I really like your videos.

So the FF controller now has ALT hold? That's great, it works well. Similar result to the current MultiWii.

As I understand LiPo batteries its best to discharge them to half capacity, you double their life and double the total amp-hours delivered over their life.

Half is about 3.7 -3.8 v per cell at rest after the flight - but check me. I know that sounds like its hardly done anything, but compare the batt capacity with the amp=hours logged on your charger during recharge.

I usually get 6-7 mins from my quad on 3S and 8-10 on 4S.

With the FPV cameras, I agree. Two cams also give you redundancy.

Great flying - nice flying field - reminds me of New Zealand and a summer's day there!

R
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:41 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
189 Posts
Quote:
So I wanted the longer arms because I flew a David Windestal RCExplorer V2.5 with 500mm arms. I liked the stability and visibility. Last night I cut slits in the front arms and installed them.
Attachment 5215861
Installed the long arm 320mm CF tubes from the quad instead of the 221mm
Attachment 5215860
comparison short to long
Attachment 5215864
Daylight: ready to Fly
Attachment 5215859
Body Cleaned up, repositioned the Rx and wires run under the KK2 and power Distro.

Now I have 60 LEDs per arm to instal and she'll be ready for Halloween!!
H
Yep - nice.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post
I really like your videos.

So the FF controller now has ALT hold? That's great, it works well. Similar result to the current MultiWii.

As I understand LiPo batteries its best to discharge them to half capacity, you double their life and double the total amp-hours delivered over their life.

Great flying - nice flying field - reminds me of New Zealand and a summer's day there!

R
Thank you! I have installed Baseflight on the FF controller and soldered a baro on to the card. So, basically my old FF is now a 32 bit MultiWii with baro.

And regarding batteries I think you are completely right. Guess I should at least return to home at 14V and not keep draining to 13.2...

I've always been told that Norway's nature could in some ways be compared to New Zealand... :-) Some of the nicest flying I've done this year was along the coast this summer:
Sony RX100 coastline flights (2 min 19 sec)

But New Zealand is on my wish list. It looks beautiful, and it is exotic because it is as far away that I can go from Norway without leaving the planet. :-)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:19 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
322 Posts
Hi Cew,

Just collecting info & parts while I wait for my talon frame to show up.
What Power Distribution Board are you guys using?

Cheers Brad.
R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:21 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T.K.F View Post
Hi Cew,

Just collecting info & parts while I wait for my talon frame to show up.
What Power Distribution Board are you guys using?

Cheers Brad.

If I did mine again I would just buy this, Since its not a quad your flying you have two spare leads which you can use for a LED strip, etc

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...out_Cable.html
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:24 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
189 Posts
Quote:
Thank you! I have installed Baseflight on the FF controller and soldered a baro on to the card. So, basically my old FF is now a 32 bit MultiWii with baro.

And regarding batteries I think you are completely right. Guess I should at least return to home at 14V and not keep draining to 13.2...

I've always been told that Norway's nature could in some ways be compared to New Zealand... :-) Some of the nicest flying I've done this year was along the coast this summer: https://vimeo.com/47863879

But New Zealand is on my wish list. It looks beautiful, and it is exotic because it is as far away that I can go from Norway without leaving the planet. :-)
32 bit MultiWii - that sounds good.
Yep, New Zealand is nice and you would love to fly your Tri there too. Like your last video - excellent. You guys with the GoPros make me jealous! I have a cheap Kodak pocket HD.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:08 AM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
322 Posts
Cheers Rob, Thats simple enough to make.
R.T.K.F is online now Find More Posts by R.T.K.F