SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:39 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
The arm length is 221mm same as the talon quad. The front arms have a groove cutout for the pivot locking mechanism. All 3 arms are the same length so you could replace them with talon 221mm arms or stretch the tri with the 320mm arms. You do need to cut out the pivot grooves for the front arms. They should have designed that mechanism independently of the carbon arms. I'd have designed it into the mounting block making arm replacement much easier.
H
Well, I'll be finding out if I can use Blade 450 tail booms as I cracked one of my arms today while flogging my tri. Parts availability could be a problem for a Hobby King exclusive. Couple of broken props, and bent motor mounts as it tumbled on impact.

The aluminum is VERY soft, so be careful. I'd hate to see what would have been damaged if I hadn't come down on grass.
Invid is offline Find More Posts by Invid
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid View Post
Well, I'll be finding out if I can use Blade 450 tail booms as I cracked one of my arms today while flogging my tri. Parts availability could be a problem for a Hobby King exclusive. Couple of broken props, and bent motor mounts as it tumbled on impact.

The aluminum is VERY soft, so be careful. I'd hate to see what would have been damaged if I hadn't come down on grass.
That sucks. I'm sure I'll kill a few arms and mounts. It's a pay to play hobby. You can get arms in the parts section. It is definitely a more expensive repair than the rcexplorer rig. Maybe wooden dowels 12mm in diameter are the way to go. Sorry for your loss.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:07 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,117 Posts
Quote:

That's kinda why I stop using my quad talon v2. Almost same part. Those motor mount are kinda soft. After a few crashes and bending them back to place, one of them finally got a crack where it bent. another motor mount I striped the hole that holds the boom.

They just recently brought the price down for the mount/leg assembly because before they were $11+ each.
They should sell it alone and cheaper.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:42 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:

Me too thank you for the warning - sorry you hit the ground

Just a note: The 450 booms have a thinner wall than the Talon - even easier to break!! Also I think you will find that the Talon arms are 14mm OD, not 12 mm.

The Talon is still very good value compared to others you can buy.
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:19 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
589 Posts
It wasn't so bad. The damage was repaired (CA on the CF arm plus I cut down a bent B450 tailboom just in case - 14mm OD). Just waiting on a set of replacement arms from HK. Motor mounts were easily bent back into place (watch alignment if you have to do this as the motors don't have a lot of clearance if you are using larger props).

The only reason I haven't flown it again to test is work and family obligations.

Overall, I think the engineering could be better, in particular, the arm locking mechanism. One of my pins broke trying to slide it into place, so I'm using friction to hold them, which seems to have worked well for the last 10 flights or so. That, and the aluminum is really far too soft. No way should my little "oopsie" have bent my motor mounts as badly as it did. Pics to follow when I get home.
Last edited by Invid; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Composed on my phone.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:46 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
I flew in 10+ mph wind today and was very pleased. I set my camera to dusk and the video was totally over blown. I'm set to fly tomorrow with proper exposure and will make a video of my tri. Still waiting on new motor, so I have one dodgy motor that may fail. I have both 221mm and 4 320mm arms coming. I studied the motor mount and can clearly see where it will bent in a crash. If they extended the ridge on the side of the mount out a few more cm it would already make a big difference with little weight added. I'm digging how this frame flies. KK2 is working well.
H
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:17 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,117 Posts
Quote:
, and the aluminum is really far too soft. No way should my little "oopsie" have bent my motor mounts as badly as it did. Pics to follow when I get home.
Kinda like this lol
These were my motor mounts from the quad talon v2
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349154993.679521.jpg
Views: 340
Size: 95.4 KB
Description:
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:35 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Kinda like this lol
Attachment 5200984
Ah yes... obviously certified aircraft grade... maybe replacing them with toffee would be a superior alternative? I've heard it's pretty easy to machine when cold...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:22 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
589 Posts
Before crash (I only took a couple pics in my eagerness to fly it)

One of my two bent motor mounts before straightening - no other damage aside from a cracked arm. Who knew that CF was more durable than butter aluminum?

Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:41 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Kinda like this lol
Attachment 5200984
Maybe we should be mounting the landing gear pointing out. Might offer slightly more protection.

What flight times are you getting? I'm flying sky lipo 2200 40c and barely getting 5min with 10x6x3 GWS props.
I'm not that impressed with the lift of these props but they are butter smooth.
H
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:08 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
589 Posts
Quote:
What flight times are you getting? I'm flying sky lipo 2200 40c and barely getting 5min with 10x6x3 GWS props.
I'm not that impressed with the lift of these props but they are butter smooth.
H
I'm using 10x5 Gemfans from HK on NTM 2826 1000kv and getting 6-6.5 mins in gentle flight with Zippy 3S 2200 30Cs ending with a resting voltage of 3.73-3.74V.

The HK slowfly props are apparently true Gemfan props. I should probably balance them, but I haven't bothered yet as they aren't too bad.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:58 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
I flew in 10+ mph wind today and was very pleased. I set my camera to dusk and the video was totally over blown. I'm set to fly tomorrow with proper exposure and will make a video of my tri. Still waiting on new motor, so I have one dodgy motor that may fail. I have both 221mm and 4 320mm arms coming. I studied the motor mount and can clearly see where it will bent in a crash. If they extended the ridge on the side of the mount out a few more cm it would already make a big difference with little weight added. I'm digging how this frame flies. KK2 is working well.
H
Agreed - that and a higher grade Al.

I used these mounts on a quad (see pick) - but have not hit the deck - yet ....

Here's the mounts HK could have copied: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/sku-12
It would be interesting to ask MultiWiiCopter owners how their mounts fare in a crash.

Rob
Last edited by RobJCook; Oct 02, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:01 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
Before crash (I only took a couple pics in my eagerness to fly it)

Picy here

One of my two bent motor mounts before straightening - no other damage aside from a cracked arm. Who knew that CF was more durable than butter aluminum?

Soft - yep butter --- and toffee would be a sweeter choice of material!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:44 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post

Here's the mounts HK could have copied: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/sku-12
It would be interesting to ask MultiWiiCopter owners how their mounts fare in a crash.

Rob
The MultiWiiCopter aluminium motor mounts very solid. I did my best to destroy them but they never showed any sign of breaking. In a crash something has to give, and with the MultiWiiCopter design it was the weak carbon tubes that would let go first. With the Talon I can see it uses much stronger carbon tubes, so thats why you are seeing more damage transferred to other bits.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:36 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post

Rob
Hi Rob,
It had potential but the Arms on Multiwiicopters are 12mm OD 11mm ID and the Turnigy arms at 14mm OD and 12MM ID so they wouldn't fit. I'm sure if you clamped them down hard you might get that to work. Their Carbon inserts work on 11MM ID. It's too bad. Maybe someone could build a carbon insert like that for the Turnigy products.

DialFonZo seems to be on the cutting edge with his CNC capabilities.
I'll PM him.
H