SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Never mind just found this and it worked...

Q: How to reverse the yaw gyro for a tricopter?
A: Go to the "Mixer Editor" and change the channel (number to the upper right) to 4 where the yaw servo is connected. Then change the "rudder" mix value to -100.
bigfella65 is offline Find More Posts by bigfella65
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfella65 View Post
Hi, just bought one of these Talon tricopters and have completed the build. KK2 FC 20A Hobbywing ESC's NTM 28-26 1200kv motors and a TGY-306G Ultra Fast/High Torque MG Digital servo . Now only problem Ive run into is when I take off the tri spins uncontrollably, what have I missed?
You need to go into the mixer editor on the kk2 and set your rudder or yaw value to negative. So if it's set to 100%, set it to -100%. If I remember correctly, that should fix your problem.
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
Oops, should have looked on the next page. Glad you got it fixed.
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Got my LEDs today. Hk package on the way with 320mm arms and new motor. Wire and 3.5mm plugs.
Did a hover test with NTM2826 1000kV 9x5x3 GWS props on 3S.
The rig pulled 20a and ~250watts at hover. A little over 6 amps per motor. Giving 2 amps to board and servo and receiver.
That's a pretty low draw. Probably could prop that up quite a bit. Anyone try 11 inch props on their tri yet?
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:35 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
thats really great info thanks, so i don't have to send the motors back. One thing that has confused me is that some people have power distribution boards but the 2.5 didn't, do i need one?

not sure i wanna all that postage costs to the uk one servo, but i guess i might have to
You don't need to use a power distribution board. It may make soldering a little easier but not that much. Just copy others on this tread or David's on RCExplorer, or MultiWiiCopter ...etc. You do not need to replace the three ESC to motor wires like David has.
RobJCook is offline Find More Posts by RobJCook
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Got my LEDs today. Hk package on the way with 320mm arms and new motor. Wire and 3.5mm plugs.
Did a hover test with NTM2826 1000kV 9x5x3 GWS props on 3S.
The rig pulled 20a and ~250watts at hover. A little over 6 amps per motor. Giving 2 amps to board and servo and receiver.
That's a pretty low draw. Probably could prop that up quite a bit. Anyone try 11 inch props on their tri yet?
H
I won't say if 11" props are OK for that motor, but I have used them on lower Kv motors like the DT750 with good success.

That's current draw is typical for a tri. You will find that max draw may be up to 2x more. This is one reason many have started using smaller ESC's.

One thing that I think helps is to run a separate UBEC like this one (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4319) to power the board, RX, and LED's. I used to power my electronics off one of the ESC's but find this is better. Others do it too. This also allows you to power up your board etc. without powering the ESC's, which can be useful for changing the settings without chopping your finger off! Another reason, depending on the control board's circuitry, is you can separate ESC's noise from the power supply.

I will look at the KK2 to see if this can be done.

Rob
Last edited by RobJCook; Sep 29, 2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: KK2 note
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:56 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Question

Can anyone with the NTM 2826 1200KV motors tell me if the motor wires meant to be solid, or flexible?

Ta
Rob
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:04 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJCook View Post
Can anyone with the NTM 2826 1200KV motors tell me if the motor wires meant to be solid, or flexible?

Ta
Rob
All solid. Same for 1000kv
H
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:55 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
618 Posts
dhdsracer,

I am very sorry I am using this site to get a hold of dhdsracer, but I have question on one of his videos on the Hobby King KK power board set up.

I am new to Multicopters and I have some questions for dhdsracer! Please let me know where I need to go to ask you some questions.

Thank you very much,

Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
591 Posts
I got my tricopter kit last night. Did a marathon building session, and maidened it tonight. My first multicopter build and it was pretty awesome.

There's still plenty of tuning left to go, and some Kk2 weirdness to iron out. Overall, it flies like a fixed pitch heli, a little mushy, but I think I might be able tune some of that out. It should make an excellent video platform.

Woot!
Invid is online now Find More Posts by Invid
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:41 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid View Post
I got my tricopter kit last night. Did a marathon building session, and maidened it tonight. My first multicopter build and it was pretty awesome.

There's still plenty of tuning left to go, and some Kk2 weirdness to iron out. Overall, it flies like a fixed pitch heli, a little mushy, but I think I might be able tune some of that out. It should make an excellent video platform.

Woot!
Well done. Do you have a pic to share?
H
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Mar 2012
591 Posts
Quote:
Well done. Do you have a pic to share?
H
I should be able to put up a pic tomorrow when I have a little bit better light. I literally maidened it after the sun went down and the street lights went on, flying by the light of the receiver and satellite.

This thing is whisper quiet with 10 x 4.5 slow flyer props on 3S (compared to my helis anyway). I picked the NTM 2826 1000 kv motors. No idea about power yet as it was too dark for me to see it.

All that's left now is to tune it, and pick out my video gear. Now that I've flown it, I wish I'd taken the extra time to make a firmware flashing harness for the ESC's. They're still running the stock firmware.

Too much soldering though, and my soldering skills are terrible.
Invid is online now Find More Posts by Invid
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joe_Crash
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
428 Posts
Check out

http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...icopterv25.htm

It shows how to build a rear yaw mount that is very durable, and very inexpensive - aside from the servo itself, one can be built for less than $5.00
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
All solid. Same for 1000kv
H
Thanx shelterock that helps. Just thought HK had sent me an old version of the motor.

Rob
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:58 PM
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
Check out

http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...icopterv25.htm

It shows how to build a rear yaw mount that is very durable, and very inexpensive - aside from the servo itself, one can be built for less than $5.00
http://www.rcexplorer.se/projects/tr...copterv25.html

Very true joe! I have used this method and like it. Its good for tris with square arms.

This method evolved from the days when tricopters had no control boards and flew using 4 heli gyros and a transmitter set up as a Heli (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142429) !

The only modification I have made to the description on Dave's site is to use 6mm OD hollow CF tube rather than the 4mm. The extra diameter increases the bearingf surface area and so reduces the bearing load and so extends its useful lifem... yada yada.

The direct drive servo connection is good and keeps it simple. However it can also mean more vibes are transmitted through the servo gears.
But then that's not a big issue if you balance your motors and props!

well looks like a good day to fly here so . . .

r