HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Discussion
A product idea

I am wondering how hard it would be to build this circuit. Many of us know how to get extended flight times using lipos hooked in parallel. A variation of this would be a simple circuit that does lipo switching. Lipo A would be used to get the quad up to altitude. This is where a lot of current is used. When Lipo A drops to 3.8 volts per cell, the circuit would switch in Lipo B which is fully charged. Lipo B would only have to maintain altitude and perform manuevers. I figure this configuration would produce longer flight times than having the two lipos in parallel. I figure this should not be a difficult circuit to build and as such, should be something that folks handy with a soldering iron should be able to put together cheaply. There are enough pricey little gizmos out there.

Any suggestions or feedback on this one? Could this be an "open source" product?
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
You would need a relay or switch with enough capacitance to switch over without interrupting, or something that can bridge both batteries and disconnect primary one after. Anyway, at the currents you're talking about (sounds like a heavy copter with possibly 50A+ going through) all this is going to be very heavy and very unlikely to be done cheaply (or reliably)
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:45 AM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
447 Posts
Short answer, yes.
You can get what they call "make before break" switching contactors. Go right ahead and design your switch.

Long answer, why?
Having two batteries in parallel and switching them over when one drops below a threshold voltage will product no difference whatsoever to the flight times than if you just run both batteries in parallel without the switch.
I am sorry to say, the idea would serve no purpose.
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:03 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
the flighttime should be lower due the additional weight.
theres no sense of switching when u could use them in parallel.
the flighttime could only be a bit longer when you drop the empty lipo after switching to the other one.
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:11 AM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,234 Posts
Dropping a battery is a neat idea ... but haven't you seen the "in flight" refuelling quadcopter video on the v939 thread?
SSM is offline Find More Posts by SSM
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:30 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,032 Posts
as warthox says, jettisoning used LiPo would be one idea, but there could be issues about the power switchover and the disconnection of the power wires.

Alternative idea: attach a firework rocket to each arm and then *hope* they all fire at the same time
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
This certainly produced an international response. I was thinking of this idea for a quad, not a heli. I have a bunch of helis and hate to admit it but my F450 quad is lot more fun to fly. A lot less moving parts and things to go wrong. Anything to increase flight time is always a good thing.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
You can start by junking that huge + heavy plastic frame.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:20 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
I figure this configuration would produce longer flight times than having the two lipos in parallel.
How did you figure this out?

Having an RC controlled mechanism to disconnect one of the batteries (which would have a folded parachute) and connect the other through a relay would be an interesting task though.

Only if you're lazy to land and simply replace the battery.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
You guys are just no fun at all.