SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Discussion
Why do take off's on quads look so easy?

seen many videos of quads taking off and looks so easy, they lift off first time every time, but have never experienced this.

Every quad I have always needs some sort of trim before lifting off else it will topple over.

Get it to the point of lifting see what way it is going to go, then a need to trim, yet never see this on videos?

My Lotus 580P+ is the worst, not only do you have to trim, but being so big, you have to find the balance point then will lift off, you cannot just go and lift straight up, or it will topple.

I had this with a Helicopter also, had to trim, then move the sticks to find the balance point, then lift off, yet seems many experience people make it look easy, what is the secret? or does it get better with experience?

I could well imagine the ground effect a lot on the Lotus 580+ being so big, but in the air and runs nice.

My MX400 once I got the trim worked out, lifts off straight away, and comparing the legs i now have on the MX400 to Skids, the legs make lift off's so much easier, so think Skids would have some flex to them.

I have also seen some videos where beginners have also tried to take off and topple over due to no trim before hand, using legs instead of skids makes take off a lot easier.

The quads I have, which have skids are harder to get off the ground without any trim compared to ones with Legs?
denodan is offline Find More Posts by denodan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:57 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Okay this is an incredibly stupid question and feel free to tell me so, but do you always initialize your quad on level ground? Also how do you lift off? Unlike full scale your best bet is to do it fast, the closer you are to the ground the more ground effect makes it hard to fly. In my experience you should trim in the air and not on the ground. I have a micro quad with non adjustable gyro settings and it takes off very well.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
I Have never with any quads, or helicopter been able to take off fast without tipping over, and always had to get to the point of lift off then trim, then lift off. I can never just lift off fast without crashing.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:06 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Are you using the same tx with all? Maybe some incorrect tx setting or a bad tx?
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
I am, landings are fine, and flying is fine, only taking off is the problem. I also had a Blade450 3d helicopter, with a Spektrum DX6i and also had this problem, could never take off fast, and always had to lift off when i found the balancing point, without it trying to tip over, so noithing to do with the TX.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:51 AM
sbt
Greece
Joined Oct 2009
75 Posts
You only have to trim your helis/multis once when there is no wind. If you need to trim them everytime you fly, something is wrong.
Do you power on your aircraft when they are sitting on level ground?
If you are holding your quad sideways and you connect the battery, the gyros will not initialize correctly, the same thing applies to your blade heli.
Is your CG the same everytime?
Do you load your aircraft with heavy stuff far from CG?
sbt is offline Find More Posts by sbt
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
I do not have to trim the Quad every time, use the same trim settings before take off and works well, when I turn off the TX it keeps the same trim settings, so really don't need to adjust every time.

In the air it flies beautifully.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:09 AM
sbt
Greece
Joined Oct 2009
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post
Every quad I have always needs some sort of trim before lifting off else it will topple over.
On your first post you said that you always need to trim them.
If you decide what's actually going on someone may help you.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:17 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
gyro only boards are harder to take off, they have to be level to get a good take off.
boards with acc know what level is and don't care if the multi is not level, just throttle up a little the multi levels itself and take off..
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:24 AM
sbt
Greece
Joined Oct 2009
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
gyro only boards are harder to take off, they have to be level to get a good take off.
boards with acc know what level is and don't care if the multi is not level, just throttle up a little the multi levels itself and take off..
My wookong-m and mk 2.1 must be broken then, because if I don't initialize them on level ground they fly like sh*t.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:37 AM
making crashing a lifestyle!
The Netherlands, UT, Soest
Joined Feb 2012
1,039 Posts
i was not talking about initializing.. (plugging in lipo power and booting the board) i was talking about take off.. initializing in an angle should not matter for the wookong though..

i have Freeflight, rabbit, black vortex (megapirate) and KK2 FC's on my multi's and all level theirselfs before take off if they are standing in an angle on the ground.
just spool up the motors just below take off power and all my multi's will (try) to level theirself...

if i fly with gyro only KK i have to trim (with sticks not trim knobs) it level for correct take off..
dutchcommando is offline Find More Posts by dutchcommando
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Jul 2009
484 Posts
I almost exclusively hand launch and catch, mostly to save weight of landing gear that really isn't needed anyway, and it's good practice for flying off of boats which I do quite often.

With that said, as part of your preflight always run up your rig in your hand. Doing so will allow you to immediately detect any trim or alignment issues and correct them.

And, just a tip but do not launch in GPS position hold mode by hand, or GPS attitude for a DJI FC (NAZA or WKM). For hand launch always do it in stabilize/attitude, etc.
diakatche is offline Find More Posts by diakatche
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Jul 2009
484 Posts
Another point.. if you are having stability problems mounting your rig to a ball headed tripod weighted down will allow trimming and troubleshooting and minimize the danger significantly. I do this with all new installs or designs.
diakatche is offline Find More Posts by diakatche
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:14 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denodan View Post
seen many videos of quads taking off and looks so easy, they lift off first time every time, but have never experienced this.

Get it to the point of lifting see what way it is going to go, then a need to trim, yet never see this on videos?

My Lotus 580P+ is the worst, not only do you have to trim, but being so big, you have to find the balance point then will lift off, you cannot just go and lift straight up, or it will topple.

I had this with a Helicopter also, had to trim, then move the sticks to find the balance point, then lift off, yet seems many experience people make it look easy, what is the secret? or does it get better with experience?

I could well imagine the ground effect a lot on the Lotus 580+ being so big, but in the air and runs nice.

My MX400 once I got the trim worked out, lifts off straight away, and comparing the legs i now have on the MX400 to Skids, the legs make lift off's so much easier, so think Skids would have some flex to them.

I have also seen some videos where beginners have also tried to take off and topple over due to no trim before hand, using legs instead of skids makes take off a lot easier.

The quads I have, which have skids are harder to get off the ground without any trim compared to ones with Legs?
I have watched a lot of new quad pilots, and helped a couple. I think to be honest a lot of it is nervousness. When I take off, I just give it enough throttle and take off. If it needs any trimming, I do that in the air.

A lot is to do with your expectations. If your mind is expecting the quad to rise perfectly straight and level, any small deviation is interpreted as something going wrong, and you tend to correct, then over correct.

The other day, I crashed one of my quads pretty badly when trying to do a low level roll. It went into the ground at some speed, one of the motors was completely buried. I pulled it out and got the mud out of the motor, and took off again. Once it was in the air, I realised that the motor was in really bad shape - I needed to give around 30% left rudder to stop it from spinning. But I still flew it for around 5 minutes like that. I'm not a great pilot, I'm just really brave

I think you are spending way too much time trying to trim your machine. Just push the throttle and take off, and use your pitch and roll to fly your machine.
TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:23 AM
FC flux'd
Joined Jan 2007
537 Posts
This is all down to 2 things;

First most important is a well balanced and trimmed craft. Make sure the quad/hex is perfectly balanced along all arms etc. Then set up out of the wind (large garage/carpark etc) until you can lift off with a slowly increasing throttle and come up into a perfect level hover.

Second, once perfectly trimmed and balanced the only thing that will make a quad topple is if it gets caught up on long grass on take off. Avoid this by punching up off the ground rather than slowly increasing the throttle. I usually punch from zero to 50% and pop up into a hover just around eye level.

If you know your quad is trimmed out there's no reason to be shy on the throttle on take off.
Katch is offline Find More Posts by Katch