HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:10 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I don't care about it because of advertizing revenue. Lance made it interesting for me for a little while. Now, I couldn't tell you the name of the guy that won the latest TDF and I'd don't care enough to look it up either.
Like any sport, you have to put in a bit of time to enjoy it. If you don't no problem. Lots of sports out there.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Fascinating BBC radio show for two hours thus evening talking about this and interviewing the main folks. Interesting little stories about borrowing make up to cover injection marks before a press meeting and loaning his plane to fly riders to Valencia for blood transfusion…
Look on iPlayer for Peddlers.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,590 Posts
The doping is a minor issue.
He used his position as a team leader to organize the doping and basicly made members of is his team to dope.

That is the real story behind all the doping, the misuse of power.
He is lucky that he lives in the US, in other countries he would go to prison.
He is a cheat of the worst kind.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott View Post
The doping is a minor issue.
He used his position as a team leader to organize the doping and basicly made members of is his team to dope.

That is the real story behind all the doping, the misuse of power.
He is lucky that he lives in the US, in other countries he would go to prison.
He is a cheat of the worst kind.
Armstrong and his team spent more time in Europe than the US when they were competing.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:45 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,590 Posts
Jup, if they would be still over there he would have a warrant out for him and his team and he would go to prison.

He is not only a user, he is a dealer and there is in my opinion no differance betwenn a crack dealer and a doping dealer, both belong in prison.

Besides I have a professional carrer as a professional athlet, which ended 4 years ago because of TBI.
I know the professional side of sports and the temptations, the pressure and how doping can help, drugs are rempened, people ( and or animals in my case ) compet when they should not, or seek the thing that will keep or give that little bit more of an edge.
All of it I can understand, its human. Have I done that, nope. It always disgusted me.
But Armstrong actually organized it, not just for him, but for the whole team, because they had to keep up with him.
You dope you keep your job, you don't you lose it and Armstrong was the dealer and organizer.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Last edited by Schrott; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
1984 is no longer fiction
United States
Joined Mar 2012
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
I think the evidence shows the guy clearly cheated but I don't agree with anything else you said. I have seen him do a lot of good for people.
My wife went through breast cancer at the same time Lance was rebounding from his bout with cancer. His success gave her the determination to believe she could beat cancer. For us, he was a needed inspiration during our darkest moments.

But he is human and imperfect. If he has cheated, he will suffer and cycling will suffer.

My wife wears a scar, but like wrinkles or age spots it is merely a signpost in the story of our lives. Lance now wears a scar on his soul.

Today all I feel is gratitude and sadness.
War is Peace is offline Find More Posts by War is Peace
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Looks like his sponsors have determined he's a cheater, and worst, a habitual liar. Perhaps his worthwhile charity will survive, but may need a name change.
Quote:
Lance Armstrong lost his sponsorship contract with Nike and Budweiser Wednesday and stepped down as the chairman of the Livestrong charity he founded as the fallout from doping allegations continued to plague the former champion cyclist.

Armstrong announced Wendesday he is stepping down as chairman of Livestrong so that the cancer-fighting charity can focus on its mission instead of the doping accusations.
http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/...contracts?lite
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
"Nike continues to support...."

Well, maybe not !.

Nike Accused of Covering Up Lance Armstrong's Failed Drug Tests (1 min 6 sec)
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Last edited by Usta Bee; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
"....our cancer has returned, meaning me".

Armstrong had a heated discussion with former pro Paul Kimmage. (3 min 10 sec)

Boooooooo

Lance Armstrong Gets Angry at The Booed Fan (0 min 32 sec)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
I told you all.

Lance fans......
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
BTW, this is a great watch for those interested.

The World According to Lance - 4 Corners (46 min 38 sec)
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Looks like the poop has really hit the fan for ol' Lance.

Sponsors that have dropped him so far:

Nike
Trek bicycles
Anheuser-Busch
Radio Shack
Giro helmets
Honey Stinger energy bars

Quote:
Companies like Nike and Trek Bicycles continued to back Armstrong, despite serious personal red flags, according to Morgenstein, pointing to “the fact that [Armstrong] had multiple wives, they’ve overlooked a lot of things that maybe some other people would have been held to… This is a company that stuck with Kobe Bryant after what happened in Colorado (Bryant was accused of rape in 2003), Michael Vick going to jail (for illegally organizing and gambling on dog fighting), Tiger Woods in a global scandal (Woods admitted to being a serial cheater on his wife), and they stuck with those three. Lance Armstrong, they dumped.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...mstrong_261779
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
“USADA has found overwhelming proof that Dr. Michele Ferrari facilitated doping for numerous members of the U.S. Postal Service and Discovery Channel Cycling Teams,” read the agency’s decision.

It pointed to the testimony of George Hincapie, Tyler Hamilton, Floyd Landis, Christian Vande Velde (Garmin-Sharp), Tom Danielson (Garmin) and Levi Leipheimer (fired on Tuesday by Omega Pharma-Quick Step) and the evidence it gained from Italian investigations involving Filippo Simeoni, Volodymyr Bileka and Leonardo Bertagnolli. Taken together, it established Ferrari’s “involvement in doping” alongside Armstrong’s active run from 1998 to 2010.

USADA proved that Armstrong pushed riders like Vande Velde to use Ferrari. It showed that Armstrong tried to cover-up his relationship with Ferrari, proving he lied under oath in the SCA Promotion trial in 2005. It also obtained records of payments Armstrong made to Ferrari’s Swiss account, a total of $1,029,754.31 from 1996 to 2006.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...spiracy_261732

Quote:
Armstrong’s former physical therapist Emma O’Reilly was another who tried to expose the cyclist and was labeled a “prostitute” and an “alcoholic” by the American.

As rumors of drug use continued to swirl around Armstrong in 2008, Betsy Andreu said she was left a sinister voice mail from a friend and former business associate of Armstrong.

“I hope somebody breaks a baseball bat over your head,” it said. “I also hope that one day you have adversity in your life and you have some type of tragedy that will definitely make an impact on you.”
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ameleon_261393
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
The Chris Carmichael connection.

Carmichael was Lance's "coach", and years before also got sued and settled out of court for giving riders PEDs without their knowledge

Quote:
They don't know what was in those syringes, and they don't recall taking a drug test in those days. But they say the injections were given by the U.S.A. Cycling staff, including coach Rene Wenzel, trainer Angus Fraser and, according to documents, coach Chris Carmichael.

Strock and Kaiter are convinced that that was a program of doping, and there is considerable evidence that, in U.S. Olympic sport, doping has reached much further than you might imagine.

That charge comes from an insider: Dr. Wade Exum, who was in charge of doping control at the U.S. Olympic Committee until last summer, three months before the Sydney games.

Told there was a serious program to eliminate doping from U.S. sports, Exum now believes "it was all a sham."

Exum says drug tests, done at random during training and competition, routinely crossed his desk, showing athletes were doping.

"In the last year that I was at the US Olympic Committee," he said, "there were positive tests for anabolic steroids in badminton. I had anabolic steroid positives in shooting when I was at the Olympic Committee."

Exum is suing the USOC, saying it undermined his effort to protect athletes. He is offering his records in court. But the committee is asking the judge to keep the records confidential because "public disclosure of these documents would cause annoyance and possible embarrassment for many individual athletes..."

Exum estimated that fewer than one in seven American athletes who tested positive for banned substances, was ever sanctioned.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/...in284958.shtml
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whitney View Post
My wife went through breast cancer...

My wife wears a scar, but like wrinkles or age spots it is merely a signpost in the story of our lives.
I like this. Very much.
My wife went through uterine cancer (wow, I don't even like to TYPE the "c" word) recently.
God bless you, your wife and your family. Thanks for the bit of comfort those words offer.
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W